Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Two Story Network Setup Help

Last response: in Networking
August 13, 2012 6:50:00 PM

This is my first 2 story networking setup I've come across in my various living situations and need some help. Let me describe my current setup:

I have a 2 floor townhouse with the living room on the first floor. In my living room I have my entertainment center with my TV, PS3, 360, Cable Modem, and Cisco Linksys Wireless Router. I have the PS3 and 360 connected to the router via ethernet cables since they are only about 4 feet from the router and i use both for Netflix/video streaming as well as online gaming (of course). Up until now I have just had a laptop and tablet, the wi-fi downstairs is amazing but upstairs in the bedroom or guest room it's about 2 bars strong which is totally useable for the Laptop and Tab.

Ok, here comes the problem. I am finally building a mid-range gaming rig, something I have always wanted to do and finally have a budget to afford. BUT, the PC will have to be upstairs. I will always prefer and fight for a wired connection for a desktop PC, especially for gaming. As you have seen from my current setup, all of the wires are downstairs. To add to that, I cant run any cables to the upstairs or drill or add anything to the house (renting, not owning).

So the main questions:
Any recommended setups for my situation?
Do I move the Modem and Router upstairs to have the PC wired and put the gaming consoles on wireless?
Do I try powerline (the townhouse was built in the 70s, not certain of the circuit situation)?
Do i get a range extender and just connect the desktop on wifi?

I thank everyone in advance for their assistance!

More about : story network setup

Best solution

August 14, 2012 4:52:14 PM

I've used powerline adapters many times in that sort of arrangement and they work fine although not even close to the advertised speed. Get a 200 or 500mbps model and plug one in near your router and the other upstairs near your computer. If you have interference sources on either line, like a room fan, put the interference source on a 6 foot extension cord -- works as well as an interference suppressor.
August 14, 2012 6:55:02 PM

A powerline adapter is an excellent solution for a single PC. You could also buy a wireless access point in addition to the powerline adapter, and instead of running a cable from the upstairs adapter to you gaming rig, you could run it to the WAP and have stong signal for all your upstairs devices.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2012 7:11:26 PM

I may have to try out powerline for the first time then, provided it works well with my circuits and whatnot. I'll see where I can find them locally so i can return them if needed.

Any suggestions for powerline adapters on the inexpensive end of the spectrum?
m
l
August 14, 2012 7:19:21 PM

My current favorite is the Zyxel PLA4205. Smallnetbuilder.com has reviews and comparison charts on many brands.
m
l
August 14, 2012 7:25:23 PM

Best answer selected by blacklabel8829.
m
l
!