Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

in game ads

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 6:03:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

So now you can literally order a pizza in EverQuest II by typing "/pizza,"
connecting you to PizzaHut.com.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/commentary/game_over/co...

I see what's coming next. Virtual in game Pizza Huts, where you can walk in,
place an order, charge it to the credit card you have on file for paying the
monthly fee, and have a real pizza delivered to your door. Then throw in
virtual vending machines, virtual Wal-Marts, etc, to add to the "immersion,"
and prevent the need to get up from your chair. Send out free product
samples as an incentive to keep playing - a coupon for a free Pepsi after
your first 10 hours played.

Like the skanky outfit your character is wearing? Go to a virtual toy store
and buy the poster and action figure for your character. Image if
Butterpants could do that in Half Life 2, he'd buy 40 copies of the Alex
action figure. And Mitty, he'd do all his shopping in Half Life 2 to
support Valve.

Sure, people will complain at first that all these in game ads are lame, but
they'll develop a tolerance for it over time.

More about : game ads

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:08:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"The Chronic" <endo@blunt.com> wrote in message
news:EPrRd.14968$dZ.706948@news20.bellglobal.com...
> So now you can literally order a pizza in EverQuest II by typing
"/pizza,"
> connecting you to PizzaHut.com.
>
>
http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/commentary/game_over/co...
>
> I see what's coming next. Virtual in game Pizza Huts, where you can walk
in,
> place an order, charge it to the credit card you have on file for paying
the
> monthly fee, and have a real pizza delivered to your door. Then throw in
> virtual vending machines, virtual Wal-Marts, etc, to add to the
"immersion,"
> and prevent the need to get up from your chair. Send out free product
> samples as an incentive to keep playing - a coupon for a free Pepsi after
> your first 10 hours played.
>
> Like the skanky outfit your character is wearing? Go to a virtual toy
store
> and buy the poster and action figure for your character. Image if
> Butterpants could do that in Half Life 2, he'd buy 40 copies of the Alex
> action figure. And Mitty, he'd do all his shopping in Half Life 2 to
> support Valve.
>
> Sure, people will complain at first that all these in game ads are lame,
but
> they'll develop a tolerance for it over time.
>
>

Just look at how far TV has gone. Before it was just commericals every
15mins. Now they do TV logos on the side, they do popup Ads, scrolling
messages, product placement, QVC, ..... :(  Everytime I see that TV logo
in the bottom right corner of my screen, I keep thinking up ways of how I
could design some sort of panel to fit over my TV to block that section out.
5 mins later, I realize that I've missed who said what or did something on
"Lost". ;) 

I've read where product placement has already occurred with some games.
Developers and Publishers have stated that they see this as another source
of income for them.
February 19, 2005 1:40:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"The Chronic" <endo@blunt.com> wrote in message
news:EPrRd.14968$dZ.706948@news20.bellglobal.com...
> So now you can literally order a pizza in EverQuest II by typing
> "/pizza,"
> connecting you to PizzaHut.com.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/commentary/game_over/co...
>
> I see what's coming next. Virtual in game Pizza Huts, where you can walk
> in,
> place an order, charge it to the credit card you have on file for paying
> the
> monthly fee, and have a real pizza delivered to your door. Then throw in
> virtual vending machines, virtual Wal-Marts, etc, to add to the
> "immersion,"
> and prevent the need to get up from your chair. Send out free product
> samples as an incentive to keep playing - a coupon for a free Pepsi after
> your first 10 hours played.
>
> Like the skanky outfit your character is wearing? Go to a virtual toy
> store
> and buy the poster and action figure for your character. Image if
> Butterpants could do that in Half Life 2, he'd buy 40 copies of the Alex
> action figure. And Mitty, he'd do all his shopping in Half Life 2 to
> support Valve.
>
> Sure, people will complain at first that all these in game ads are lame,
> but
> they'll develop a tolerance for it over time.
>

I think it's kind of a good idea. Why not?
Related resources
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 7:14:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

The Chronic wrote:
> So now you can literally order a pizza in EverQuest II by typing
"/pizza,"
> connecting you to PizzaHut.com.
>
Smart idea - so long as the player is absolutely aware of what they're
doing and that a real nearly warm pizza will arrive in a couple of
hours.

I can see a risk of little Johnny ordering pizzas in the game coz it's
cool, little realising that his Dad's credit card is soon going to have
it's own line on Pizza Hut's annual report.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:15:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, "The Chronic" wrote:

i don't mind having adds in games, cause many games are in actual sets
and if those sets usually have adds why not include in the game and the
developer gaining some extra for that... for me no problem
now having inside the game equipment that has real functionality in our
own life outside the game that i'm totally against!
i want a separation between what is the game and what is reality
trying to put in the game features so you don't need to stop the game
to do normal things in life is very unhealthy! and i'm totally against
bottom line, don't mix game with reality ever!
that's another reason to fight steam cause steam is the first step in
making the pc gamer internet dependant

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:07:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>> So now you can literally order a pizza in EverQuest II by typing
>"/pizza,"
>> connecting you to PizzaHut.com.
>>
>Smart idea - so long as the player is absolutely aware of what they're
>doing and that a real nearly warm pizza will arrive in a couple of
>hours.

Bah, /coke and /pizza...
If they really wanted to revolutionize the gaming community, they'd
add /escort -option, where option = A/S/L.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Chadwick wrote:
> The Chronic wrote:
>
>>So now you can literally order a pizza in EverQuest II by typing
>
> "/pizza,"
>
>>connecting you to PizzaHut.com.
>>
>
> Smart idea - so long as the player is absolutely aware of what they're
> doing and that a real nearly warm pizza will arrive in a couple of
> hours.

Well, it's Pizza Hut, so 'real' isn't very likely :) 

Rich
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:01:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"The Chronic" <endo@blunt.com> wrote:
>So now you can literally order a pizza in EverQuest II by typing "/pizza,"
>connecting you to PizzaHut.com.
>
>http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/17/commentary/game_over/co...
>
>I see what's coming next. Virtual in game Pizza Huts, where you can walk in,
>place an order, charge it to the credit card you have on file for paying the
>monthly fee, and have a real pizza delivered to your door. Then throw in
>virtual vending machines, virtual Wal-Marts, etc, to add to the "immersion,"
>and prevent the need to get up from your chair. Send out free product
>samples as an incentive to keep playing - a coupon for a free Pepsi after
>your first 10 hours played.
>
>Like the skanky outfit your character is wearing? Go to a virtual toy store
>and buy the poster and action figure for your character. Image if
>Butterpants could do that in Half Life 2, he'd buy 40 copies of the Alex
>action figure. And Mitty, he'd do all his shopping in Half Life 2 to
>support Valve.
>
>Sure, people will complain at first that all these in game ads are lame, but
>they'll develop a tolerance for it over time.

You're so right. There's no reason why a store wouldn't pay a developer
to include a virtual store where you could order stuff to be delivered
to your house. The novelty of it will score millions for whoever does it
first.
!