best USB firewire option for laptop?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 12, 2004 5:27:46 AM

Hi,

Am wondering whats the best soundcard option for my new Dell Centrino laptop
running Cubase SX 2. The device should be:
1. USB, Firewire or PCMCIA
2. give me at least 2 ins and 2 outs. Preferably 1 mic preamp input with an
XLR with the quality of somethin like an Mbox
3. preferably SPDIF I/O
4. optionally 1 ADAT I/O port
5. At least 1 MIDI in and Out

Am I describing an Mbox?

I'm planning on using the laptop live to run software samplers and synths
off as well as a portable writing/editing computer

thanks for the suggestions,

Martin
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 5:35:36 AM

Martin Quinn wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Am wondering whats the best soundcard option for my new Dell Centrino laptop
>running Cubase SX 2. The device should be:
>1. USB, Firewire or PCMCIA
>2. give me at least 2 ins and 2 outs. Preferably 1 mic preamp input with an
>XLR with the quality of somethin like an Mbox

Not sure of the exact specs of RME's Multiface or Fireface thingie but they
have a pretty good rep.

>3. preferably SPDIF I/O
>4. optionally 1 ADAT I/O port
>5. At least 1 MIDI in and Out
>

>Am I describing an Mbox?
>
>I'm planning on using the laptop live to run software samplers and synths
>off as well as a portable writing/editing computer
>
>thanks for the suggestions,
>
>Martin

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:04:37 PM

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> Am wondering whats the best soundcard option for my new Dell Centrino
laptop
> running Cubase SX 2. The device should be:
> 1. USB, Firewire or PCMCIA
> 2. give me at least 2 ins and 2 outs. Preferably 1 mic preamp input with
an
> XLR with the quality of somethin like an Mbox
> 3. preferably SPDIF I/O
> 4. optionally 1 ADAT I/O port
> 5. At least 1 MIDI in and Out

ESI QuataFire could be an option. Got it. Like it.
Abel
August 12, 2004 1:56:20 PM

I have an M-Audio Firewire 410 and I love it. It is used primarily for
voiceover work.

Darren

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Am wondering whats the best soundcard option for my new Dell Centrino
laptop
> running Cubase SX 2. The device should be:
> 1. USB, Firewire or PCMCIA
> 2. give me at least 2 ins and 2 outs. Preferably 1 mic preamp input with
an
> XLR with the quality of somethin like an Mbox
> 3. preferably SPDIF I/O
> 4. optionally 1 ADAT I/O port
> 5. At least 1 MIDI in and Out
>

> Am I describing an Mbox?
>
> I'm planning on using the laptop live to run software samplers and synths
> off as well as a portable writing/editing computer
>
> thanks for the suggestions,
>
> Martin

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 4:21:21 PM

One thing. If I buy an Mbox (cause I wouldn't mind having PTLE too) did I
hear somewhere that I'd be stuck at version 6.1 from here in or something.
Is that true?

Martin

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Am wondering whats the best soundcard option for my new Dell Centrino
laptop
> running Cubase SX 2. The device should be:
> 1. USB, Firewire or PCMCIA
> 2. give me at least 2 ins and 2 outs. Preferably 1 mic preamp input with
an
> XLR with the quality of somethin like an Mbox
> 3. preferably SPDIF I/O
> 4. optionally 1 ADAT I/O port
> 5. At least 1 MIDI in and Out
>

> Am I describing an Mbox?
>
> I'm planning on using the laptop live to run software samplers and synths
> off as well as a portable writing/editing computer
>
> thanks for the suggestions,
>
> Martin

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 9:47:12 PM

<< If I buy an Mbox (cause I wouldn't mind having PTLE too) did I
hear somewhere that I'd be stuck at version 6.1 from here in or something.
Is that true? >>

What do you mean?

---------------------------------------
August 12, 2004 9:58:41 PM

><< If I buy an Mbox (cause I wouldn't mind having PTLE too) did I
>hear somewhere that I'd be stuck at version 6.1 from here in or something.
>Is that true? >>
>
>What do you mean?

I think LE is going no higher than 6.4 maybe?

>---------------------------------------
>"I know enough to know I don't know enough"

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 9:58:42 PM

> I think LE is going no higher than 6.4 maybe?

LE 6.4 is the last version to support the DIGI001.

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: chris@chriswhite.com Web: www.chriswhite.com

<< LE 6.4 is the last version to support the DIGI001. >>

Which isn't USB or Firewire.

August 16, 2004 12:16:31 AM

Anyone used a Tascam US-122? USB with mic and midi....
!