sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

just downloaded several videos - it looks a lot more than just
another Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. The addition of controlling a squad
with a plan view where you can issue commands to your guys looks more like
Hidden and Dangerous but it plays a lot smoother in first person combat than
H&D.
its supposed to run on a minimum 1gb cpu, 256mb ram.

I think it may soon be time to say bye bye to HL2.

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:54:35 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>just downloaded several videos - it looks a lot more than just
>another Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. The addition of controlling a squad
>with a plan view where you can issue commands to your guys looks more like
>Hidden and Dangerous but it plays a lot smoother in first person combat than
>H&D.
>its supposed to run on a minimum 1gb cpu, 256mb ram.
>
>I think it may soon be time to say bye bye to HL2.

I hear you can't go prone though which kind of ruins the tactical side
of it IMO if it's trying to be a serious WWII tactical FPS.

Andrew

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:54:35 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>just downloaded several videos - it looks a lot more than just
>another Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. The addition of controlling a squad
>with a plan view where you can issue commands to your guys looks more like
>Hidden and Dangerous but it plays a lot smoother in first person combat than
>H&D.
>its supposed to run on a minimum 1gb cpu, 256mb ram.
>
>I think it may soon be time to say bye bye to HL2.

I am looking forward to the demo for this one to see if the AI lives
up to the hype, hopefully it will be out soon.

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> just downloaded several videos - it looks a lot more than just
> another Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. The addition of controlling a
squad
> with a plan view where you can issue commands to your guys looks more like
> Hidden and Dangerous but it plays a lot smoother in first person combat
than
> H&D.
> its supposed to run on a minimum 1gb cpu, 256mb ram.
>
> I think it may soon be time to say bye bye to HL2.

It does look interesting, and it's due Mar 8th. But it's going to be a 3rd
person shooter? Was it H&D where you could enter a 1st person view, but
not move at the same time?

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:27:17 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
wrote:

> Was it H&D where you could enter a 1st person view, but
>not move at the same time?

No. I played H&D in 1st person view and was able to move. Even had
gunsights in that view. In 3rd person view you gave tactical commands
using another gui and didn't actually move yourself.

Andrew

wrote:

>It does look interesting, and it's due Mar 8th. But it's going to be a 3rd
>person shooter? Was it H&D where you could enter a 1st person view, but
>not move at the same time?

It is a FPS, maybe there is a third person option, but apart from the
console weenies, who cares. These screenshots show it working in first
person:
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/brothersinarms/screenshots/

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:27:17 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
> wrote:
>
> >It does look interesting, and it's due Mar 8th. But it's going to be a
3rd
> >person shooter? Was it H&D where you could enter a 1st person view,
but
> >not move at the same time?
>
> It is a FPS, maybe there is a third person option, but apart from the
> console weenies, who cares. These screenshots show it working in first
> person:
> http://www.3dgamers.com/games/brothersinarms/screenshots/

My bad. I was looking at one site, and it claimed it was 3rd person. I
just went to 2 other sites and they're report it is FPS.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:27:17 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Was it H&D where you could enter a 1st person view, but
>>not move at the same time?
>>
> No. I played H&D in 1st person view and was able to move. Even had
> gunsights in that view. In 3rd person view you gave tactical commands
> using another gui and didn't actually move yourself.

this is what the videos show you can do in BIA. only differance seems to be
that you directly control one character (a sergeant) and can issue commands
to your squad in the plan view then switch back to first person and watch
them
carry out your orders while you fight alongside them. I loved H&D but it was
a bit clunky and buggy- BIA seems a lot smoother and more polished.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:51:24 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>this is what the videos show you can do in BIA. only differance seems to be
>that you directly control one character (a sergeant) and can issue commands
>to your squad in the plan view then switch back to first person and watch
>them
>carry out your orders while you fight alongside them. I loved H&D but it was
>a bit clunky and buggy- BIA seems a lot smoother and more polished.

Yes, it was very clunky but I still enjoyed it for what it was. H&D2
was much better in 1st person than H&D but the 3rd person command
interface was much harder to use than the one in the original game so
I never used it in H&D2.

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:55:27 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:51:24 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
>

>>this is what the videos show you can do in BIA. only differance seems to be
>>that you directly control one character (a sergeant) and can issue commands
>>to your squad in the plan view then switch back to first person and watch
>>them
>>carry out your orders while you fight alongside them. I loved H&D but it was
>>a bit clunky and buggy- BIA seems a lot smoother and more polished.
>>

>Yes, it was very clunky but I still enjoyed it for what it was. H&D2
>was much better in 1st person than H&D but the 3rd person command
>interface was much harder to use than the one in the original game so
>I never used it in H&D2.

Best thing I noticed in the shots was the iron sights view. Here's hoping they
make use of it properly by making it much harder to aim without it i.e.
removing any HUD details for aiming.

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:55:27 -0800, Trinity <three@here.invalid> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:51:24 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:
> >

> >>this is what the videos show you can do in BIA. only differance seems to
be
> >>that you directly control one character (a sergeant) and can issue
commands
> >>to your squad in the plan view then switch back to first person and
watch
> >>them
> >>carry out your orders while you fight alongside them. I loved H&D but it
was
> >>a bit clunky and buggy- BIA seems a lot smoother and more polished.
> >>

> >Yes, it was very clunky but I still enjoyed it for what it was. H&D2
> >was much better in 1st person than H&D but the 3rd person command
> >interface was much harder to use than the one in the original game so
> >I never used it in H&D2.
>
> Best thing I noticed in the shots was the iron sights view. Here's hoping
they
> make use of it properly by making it much harder to aim without it i.e.
> removing any HUD details for aiming.

Why not just make it an option to turn the x-hairs off? I've played some
games that don't use x-hairs, and while I realize the intent, I prefer the +

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> just downloaded several videos - it looks a lot more than just
> another Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. The addition of controlling a
squad
> with a plan view where you can issue commands to your guys looks more like
> Hidden and Dangerous but it plays a lot smoother in first person combat
than
> H&D.
> its supposed to run on a minimum 1gb cpu, 256mb ram.
>
> I think it may soon be time to say bye bye to HL2.

Pre-ordered it about a month ago. Just waiting, and hoping first release is
not buggy as hell.
--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message
> just downloaded several videos - it looks a lot more than just
> another Medal of Honor or Call of Duty. The addition of controlling a
> squad with a plan view where you can issue commands to your guys looks
> more like Hidden and Dangerous but it plays a lot smoother in first person
> combat than H&D.
> its supposed to run on a minimum 1gb cpu, 256mb ram.
>
> I think it may soon be time to say bye bye to HL2.

Not for me I'm afraid, could never put up with the in game music!

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 04:30:25 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@citypound.com> wrote:

>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

>be
>commands
>watch
>was
>> >>

>> >Yes, it was very clunky but I still enjoyed it for what it was. H&D2
>> >was much better in 1st person than H&D but the 3rd person command
>> >interface was much harder to use than the one in the original game so
>> >I never used it in H&D2.
>>
>> Best thing I noticed in the shots was the iron sights view. Here's hoping
>they
>> make use of it properly by making it much harder to aim without it i.e.
>> removing any HUD details for aiming.
>
>Why not just make it an option to turn the x-hairs off? I've played some
>games that don't use x-hairs, and while I realize the intent, I prefer the +

Indeed and force people to use iron sights if they want to get anywhere.
Vietcong does this very well and is a much better game for it as it stops most
of the run and gun childishness.

Where's the Panzer? At the official site, it shows a Sherman but no
Panzer. That seems odd. The German tanks were far superior to
America's, so maybe that's it?

Also, I'd like to see the real 'Sgt. Baker', since this is based
(probably loosely) on a true story. Reason being, 'Sgt. Baker' is
almost portrayed as being a Mexican -- which he wasn't. He was actually
of German ancestry. (from Missouri) Of course, that doesn't surprise me
in a country where 'Missy Elliot' has her own show, but Star Trek is
cancelled for lack of an audience. I'm going to generalize here because
it makes sense. By and large, America has become a land of imbeciles.