Sign in with
Your question

Connection to Wireless Router via USB

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 16, 2012 7:49:14 PM

Hi,

My computer needs to be online i.e. directly connected to my cable modem. I have need to set up a wireless router too. I was initially thinking of buying a USB Ethernet Adapter and connecting a wireless router to it. I would then share my internet connection that comes into my computer from the modem, with the network that my computer and the wireless router create.

After looking at various modems online that have a USB connection, I am wondering if there is any wireless router can directly connect to my computer via USB and then share the internet connection with other wireless devices like phones and tablets.

Thank you,
O. O.

P. S. I don’t want to create an ad-hoc network which some wireless USB dongles do.
July 16, 2012 8:35:51 PM

There are no wireless routers that I'm aware of that would allow you to establish a connection between your PC and the router over USB. Your only viable option is wired ethernet.

Assuming your PC is using the only available ethernet adapter, you'd obviously need a second ethernet adapter (USB, PCI, PCIe). I’d recommend configuring the wireless router as a simple WAP (give it a unique static IP in the same address space as ICS, say 192.168.0.99, and disable its DHCP server) and patch it to the second ethernet adapter, LAN to LAN (the WAN is never used in this configuration). Finally enable ICS on the internet connection and share it w/ the WAP.

[modem]<-- wire -->[pc - ics enabled](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[wireless router - ap mode]<-- wired/wireless -->[wired/wireless devices]

Another option would be to skip the wireless router and use a wireless adapter configured as a hotspot, and share the internet connection w/ that (as long as you didn’t need wired users). I mention it because you may already have a wireless adapter available/installed on the PC. Some wireless adapters support this natively, while others can do it using software, like Connectify (requires Windows 7). And NO, this is not ad hoc, but infrastructure mode.

[modem]<-- wire -->[pc - ics enabled, wifi hotspot]<-- wireless -->[wireless devices]

http://www.connectify.me/
m
l
July 16, 2012 9:24:00 PM

eibgrad said:
There are no wireless routers that I'm aware of that would allow you to establish a connection between your PC and the router over USB. Your only viable option is wired ethernet.

Assuming your PC is using the only available ethernet adapter, you'd obviously need a second ethernet adapter (USB, PCI, PCIe). I’d recommend configuring the wireless router as a simple WAP (give it a unique static IP in the same address space as ICS, say 192.168.0.99, and disable its DHCP server) and patch it to the second ethernet adapter, LAN to LAN (the WAN is never used in this configuration). Finally enable ICS on the internet connection and share it w/ the WAP.

[modem]<-- wire -->[pc - ics enabled](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[wireless router - ap mode]<-- wired/wireless -->[wired/wireless devices]

Another option would be to skip the wireless router and use a wireless adapter configured as a hotspot, and share the internet connection w/ that (as long as you didn’t need wired users). I mention it because you may already have a wireless adapter available/installed on the PC. Some wireless adapters support this natively, while others can do it using software, like Connectify (requires Windows 7). And NO, this is not ad hoc, but infrastructure mode.

[modem]<-- wire -->[pc - ics enabled, wifi hotspot]<-- wireless -->[wireless devices]

http://www.connectify.me/

Thank you eibgrad. I was thinking of something like:

[modem]<---Ethernet--->[PC-ICS-Enabled]<---USB--->[Wireless Router]<---Wireless--->[Phone/Tablet]

I have a really old wireless adapter and it tends to get too hot if I keep it connected for long. So I decided to get a cheap router. (I have Windows XP, so I cannot use Connectify. I need to get a new computer soon.)

Since my PC only has one Ethernet port I would be doing something like:

[modem]<---Ethernet--->[PC-ICS-Enabled]<---USB--->[USB Ethernet Adapter]<---Ethernet--->[Wireless Router]<---Wireless--->[Phone/Tablet]

If anyone has other solutions I would be glad to look into them.

Thanks again,
O. O.
m
l
Related resources
!