Use Existing User Folder

bluecore

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I have my pc set up with an SSD and a 1TB hard drive. I recently had a power outage which corrupted Bootmgr on SSD so I had to reinstall Windows 7. I had all users and programs set up under the 1TB hard drive since I just used the SSD as a boot drive. I still have my old user folder on the 1TB hard drive. Is there a way to create a new user on this new installation of Windows and link it back to my old user folder on the 1TB hard drive?

I've already tried going under Registry: HKey_Local_Machine in the ProfileList and manually changing the ProfileImagePath for a new user account. But, it just caused the system to use a temporary account when logged in. It never used the path I wanted it too.

How can this be done? Been trying to figure this out all weekend. Thanks!

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I recently upgraded hardware so I had to reinstall win7. I had my users dir off disk, but when I tried relinking to it, it did not work. I simply created a new user directory on my storage drive, and moved all the data into the new user, only took like 30mins and I kept the majority of my settings.

I think that there is too much registry and security around this sort of thing to get around that makes it impossible. If you think about it, MSFT probably intentionally blocks the injection of new users to prevent someone from creating a user profile with admin rights and injecting it into a system to do some pillaging.

Edit: How are you relocating your Users directory to the new drive? There's a very simple and bulletproof way to do it using mklink /J, that I'd recommend. It takes about 20 minutes to do, and there are no compatibility issues from it. Here's the link http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7