What gauge speaker wire should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure if I should be using 16 gauge, 12 gauge, or whatever
gauge of copper wire to connect my power amp (Hafler P1500) to my speakers
(Tannoy PBM 6.5 II). I suspect that there may be a formula for the best choice
based on length of the cables. Can anyone help?

Also, is there a better choice than the "pure" copper wire sold by
Radio Smack? Thanks!

"Hellenason7" <hellenason7@aol.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if I should be using 16 gauge, 12 gauge, or
> whatever gauge of copper wire to connect my power amp (Hafler P1500)
> to my speakers (Tannoy PBM 6.5 II). I suspect that there may be a
> formula for the best choice based on length of the cables. Can
> anyone help?

This is based on the idea that sound quality is the most important
consideration:

http://www.pcavtech.com/techtalk/wire_size/index.htm

> Also, is there a better choice than the "pure" copper wire sold
by Radio Smack? Thanks!

Yes, the similar stuff sold by home improvement stores like Home Depot. It
comes in big reels that cost a whole lot less per foot. I think about $65
will get you 250 feet, with shorter cut lengths costing a bit more.

If you are working in a portable or stage environment, you probably want to
use a SJ-type heavily insulated, jacketed wire for the durability.

Hellenason7 <hellenason7@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I should be using 16 gauge, 12 gauge, or whatever
>gauge of copper wire to connect my power amp (Hafler P1500) to my speakers
>(Tannoy PBM 6.5 II). I suspect that there may be a formula for the best choice
>based on length of the cables. Can anyone help?

Use the largest cables that will fit into the connectors. Use the most
finely stranded wire you can get.

> Also, is there a better choice than the "pure" copper wire sold by
>Radio Smack? Thanks!

The 12 ga. cable sold for outdoor low voltage lighting systems at your local
hardware store is cheaper than the Radio Shack junk, and better made.
--scott

On 12 Aug 2004 13:28:35 GMT, Hellenason7 <hellenason7@aol.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I should be using 16 gauge, 12 gauge, or
> whatever gauge of copper wire to connect my power amp (Hafler
> P1500) to my speakers (Tannoy PBM 6.5 II). I suspect that
> there may be a formula for the best choice based on length of
> the cables. Can anyone help?
>
> Also, is there a better choice than the "pure" copper wire
> sold by Radio Smack? Thanks!

What kind of distance? Are you running it along the walls? Through
conduit? B&T shows? Club dates?

For club dates, I special ordered 12/2 type SOW/A. Drunk guy stomping
on it in work boots was NO problem.

B&T shows usually customize a harness for the specific needs of the
show.

In conduit, 12 or 14 AWG, the more strands the better. If you want to
get fancy, you can do a voltage drop calculation. Use the rules for
Class 2 wiring.

"Ordinary" zip cable is good enough--it's meant to be handled, so has
high stranding, and is available in most any size. Buy it in Home Depot
if your run is short, or order from Newark, Digikey, Mouser . . . if you
need heftier stuff.

On 12 Aug 2004 13:28:35 GMT, hellenason7@aol.com (Hellenason7) wrote:

> I'm not sure if I should be using 16 gauge, 12 gauge, or whatever
>gauge of copper wire to connect my power amp (Hafler P1500) to my speakers
>(Tannoy PBM 6.5 II). I suspect that there may be a formula for the best choice
>based on length of the cables. Can anyone help?
>
> Also, is there a better choice than the "pure" copper wire sold by
>Radio Smack? Thanks!

Anything too thick to comfortably fit the terminals is overkill.
Anything so thin you wouldn't trust it with a mains supply to a small
appliance is probably too small.

Between these extremes, don't fuss :) It isn't critical, whatever
the audiophile Mafia would like you to think.