Sound problem in Call of Duty: United Offensive

In Call of Duty: United Offensive, when playing the intro movies and
end of level cutscenes, the sound cuts out about every 5 seconds,
making them unwatchable. The original Call of Duty doesn't have this
problem. The game plays fine and in-game sound is fine, it's just the
video sequences that show this problem. I can play MPEGs/AVIs/DVDs on
my system with no problems.

I'm using XP SP2, DX 9.0c, Miles 2d Audio, Medium Quality (22khz).
Tried both my soundcards, Creative AudioPCI (built into MSI-6156
Motherboard) and MAudio Audiophile. I've tried XP's built-in drivers
for the AudioPCI and Creative's drivers (v5.12.1.5017).

I've tested it under 98se and it does exactly the same thing.

Does anyone know how to fix this? (I've tried dropping the
Acceleration for the AudioPCI down to basic in dxdiag, which had no
effect).

--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
4 answers Last reply

    "Doughboy" <anon@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > In Call of Duty: United Offensive, when playing the intro movies and
    > end of level cutscenes, the sound cuts out about every 5 seconds,
    > making them unwatchable. The original Call of Duty doesn't have this
    > problem. The game plays fine and in-game sound is fine, it's just the
    > video sequences that show this problem. I can play MPEGs/AVIs/DVDs on
    > my system with no problems.
    >
    > I'm using XP SP2, DX 9.0c, Miles 2d Audio, Medium Quality (22khz).
    > Tried both my soundcards, Creative AudioPCI (built into MSI-6156
    > Motherboard) and MAudio Audiophile. I've tried XP's built-in drivers
    > for the AudioPCI and Creative's drivers (v5.12.1.5017).
    >
    > I've tested it under 98se and it does exactly the same thing.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to fix this? (I've tried dropping the
    > Acceleration for the AudioPCI down to basic in dxdiag, which had no
    > effect).
    >
    > --
    > Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

    I had something similar to this, and by simply allowing the program to
    select the ideal setting for me the problem was corrected. Even though the
    settings were the same as I entered by hand (or mouse).
    Worth a quick try.

    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

    Yeah the sound was screwy for me to. When there was lots of activity the
    sound would be distorted. When I shot a gun the sound of it was delayed.
    This is the only game I have that had this problem. Overall, I thought this
    United Offensive was, well, offensive. No fun at all, unlike the first Call
    of Duty. I fixed the sound problem. I uninstalled the game. What a waste
    it was.

    DaveL

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:58:53 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Yeah the sound was screwy for me to. When there was lots of activity the
    >sound would be distorted. When I shot a gun the sound of it was delayed.
    >This is the only game I have that had this problem. Overall, I thought this
    >United Offensive was, well, offensive. No fun at all, unlike the first Call
    >of Duty. I fixed the sound problem. I uninstalled the game. What a waste
    >it was.

    I actually quite enjoyed the game, and for me the in-game sounds
    worked fine all the time, it was just the intro movies and cutscenes
    that don't work properly. It's a wierd problem, because obviously the
    PC's under more strain when I'm playing the game and it has to
    generate the graphics and sound, as opposed to when it's just playing
    back a pre-rendered movie!!!

    --
    Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:24:51 -0500, "Dr_Dickie"
    <Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote:

    >I had something similar to this, and by simply allowing the program to
    >select the ideal setting for me the problem was corrected. Even though the
    >settings were the same as I entered by hand (or mouse).
    >Worth a quick try.

    Thanks for trying to help, but it didn't make any difference.

    --
    Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

PC gaming Call of Duty Video Games