Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sound problem in Call of Duty: United Offensive

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 22, 2005 9:19:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

In Call of Duty: United Offensive, when playing the intro movies and
end of level cutscenes, the sound cuts out about every 5 seconds,
making them unwatchable. The original Call of Duty doesn't have this
problem. The game plays fine and in-game sound is fine, it's just the
video sequences that show this problem. I can play MPEGs/AVIs/DVDs on
my system with no problems.

I'm using XP SP2, DX 9.0c, Miles 2d Audio, Medium Quality (22khz).
Tried both my soundcards, Creative AudioPCI (built into MSI-6156
Motherboard) and MAudio Audiophile. I've tried XP's built-in drivers
for the AudioPCI and Creative's drivers (v5.12.1.5017).

I've tested it under 98se and it does exactly the same thing.

Does anyone know how to fix this? (I've tried dropping the
Acceleration for the AudioPCI down to basic in dxdiag, which had no
effect).

--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:19:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Doughboy" <anon@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:7rtm11d10lc6hiu3v9pbbmo5q7f1trd9gi@4ax.com...
> In Call of Duty: United Offensive, when playing the intro movies and
> end of level cutscenes, the sound cuts out about every 5 seconds,
> making them unwatchable. The original Call of Duty doesn't have this
> problem. The game plays fine and in-game sound is fine, it's just the
> video sequences that show this problem. I can play MPEGs/AVIs/DVDs on
> my system with no problems.
>
> I'm using XP SP2, DX 9.0c, Miles 2d Audio, Medium Quality (22khz).
> Tried both my soundcards, Creative AudioPCI (built into MSI-6156
> Motherboard) and MAudio Audiophile. I've tried XP's built-in drivers
> for the AudioPCI and Creative's drivers (v5.12.1.5017).
>
> I've tested it under 98se and it does exactly the same thing.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this? (I've tried dropping the
> Acceleration for the AudioPCI down to basic in dxdiag, which had no
> effect).
>
> --
> Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

I had something similar to this, and by simply allowing the program to
select the ideal setting for me the problem was corrected. Even though the
settings were the same as I entered by hand (or mouse).
Worth a quick try.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438
Poking kooks with a pointy stick
Proud member of the, "Vast right-wing conspiracy."
February 22, 2005 9:19:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Yeah the sound was screwy for me to. When there was lots of activity the
sound would be distorted. When I shot a gun the sound of it was delayed.
This is the only game I have that had this problem. Overall, I thought this
United Offensive was, well, offensive. No fun at all, unlike the first Call
of Duty. I fixed the sound problem. I uninstalled the game. What a waste
it was.

DaveL


"Doughboy" <anon@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:7rtm11d10lc6hiu3v9pbbmo5q7f1trd9gi@4ax.com...
> In Call of Duty: United Offensive, when playing the intro movies and
> end of level cutscenes, the sound cuts out about every 5 seconds,
> making them unwatchable. The original Call of Duty doesn't have this
> problem. The game plays fine and in-game sound is fine, it's just the
> video sequences that show this problem. I can play MPEGs/AVIs/DVDs on
> my system with no problems.
>
> I'm using XP SP2, DX 9.0c, Miles 2d Audio, Medium Quality (22khz).
> Tried both my soundcards, Creative AudioPCI (built into MSI-6156
> Motherboard) and MAudio Audiophile. I've tried XP's built-in drivers
> for the AudioPCI and Creative's drivers (v5.12.1.5017).
>
> I've tested it under 98se and it does exactly the same thing.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this? (I've tried dropping the
> Acceleration for the AudioPCI down to basic in dxdiag, which had no
> effect).
>
> --
> Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
Related resources
February 23, 2005 9:34:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:58:53 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Yeah the sound was screwy for me to. When there was lots of activity the
>sound would be distorted. When I shot a gun the sound of it was delayed.
>This is the only game I have that had this problem. Overall, I thought this
>United Offensive was, well, offensive. No fun at all, unlike the first Call
>of Duty. I fixed the sound problem. I uninstalled the game. What a waste
>it was.

I actually quite enjoyed the game, and for me the in-game sounds
worked fine all the time, it was just the intro movies and cutscenes
that don't work properly. It's a wierd problem, because obviously the
PC's under more strain when I'm playing the game and it has to
generate the graphics and sound, as opposed to when it's just playing
back a pre-rendered movie!!!


--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
February 23, 2005 9:36:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:24:51 -0500, "Dr_Dickie"
<Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote:

>I had something similar to this, and by simply allowing the program to
>select the ideal setting for me the problem was corrected. Even though the
>settings were the same as I entered by hand (or mouse).
>Worth a quick try.

Thanks for trying to help, but it didn't make any difference.

--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.
!