Sound problem in Call of Duty: United Offensive

Doughboy

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

In Call of Duty: United Offensive, when playing the intro movies and
end of level cutscenes, the sound cuts out about every 5 seconds,
making them unwatchable. The original Call of Duty doesn't have this
problem. The game plays fine and in-game sound is fine, it's just the
video sequences that show this problem. I can play MPEGs/AVIs/DVDs on
my system with no problems.

I'm using XP SP2, DX 9.0c, Miles 2d Audio, Medium Quality (22khz).
Tried both my soundcards, Creative AudioPCI (built into MSI-6156
Motherboard) and MAudio Audiophile. I've tried XP's built-in drivers
for the AudioPCI and Creative's drivers (v5.12.1.5017).

I've tested it under 98se and it does exactly the same thing.

Does anyone know how to fix this? (I've tried dropping the
Acceleration for the AudioPCI down to basic in dxdiag, which had no
effect).

--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

"Doughboy" <anon@invalid.com> wrote in message
> In Call of Duty: United Offensive, when playing the intro movies and
> end of level cutscenes, the sound cuts out about every 5 seconds,
> making them unwatchable. The original Call of Duty doesn't have this
> problem. The game plays fine and in-game sound is fine, it's just the
> video sequences that show this problem. I can play MPEGs/AVIs/DVDs on
> my system with no problems.
>
> I'm using XP SP2, DX 9.0c, Miles 2d Audio, Medium Quality (22khz).
> Tried both my soundcards, Creative AudioPCI (built into MSI-6156
> Motherboard) and MAudio Audiophile. I've tried XP's built-in drivers
> for the AudioPCI and Creative's drivers (v5.12.1.5017).
>
> I've tested it under 98se and it does exactly the same thing.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this? (I've tried dropping the
> Acceleration for the AudioPCI down to basic in dxdiag, which had no
> effect).
>
> --
> Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

I had something similar to this, and by simply allowing the program to
select the ideal setting for me the problem was corrected. Even though the
settings were the same as I entered by hand (or mouse).
Worth a quick try.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah the sound was screwy for me to. When there was lots of activity the
sound would be distorted. When I shot a gun the sound of it was delayed.
This is the only game I have that had this problem. Overall, I thought this
United Offensive was, well, offensive. No fun at all, unlike the first Call
of Duty. I fixed the sound problem. I uninstalled the game. What a waste
it was.

DaveL

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:58:53 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Yeah the sound was screwy for me to. When there was lots of activity the
>sound would be distorted. When I shot a gun the sound of it was delayed.
>This is the only game I have that had this problem. Overall, I thought this
>United Offensive was, well, offensive. No fun at all, unlike the first Call
>of Duty. I fixed the sound problem. I uninstalled the game. What a waste
>it was.

I actually quite enjoyed the game, and for me the in-game sounds
worked fine all the time, it was just the intro movies and cutscenes
that don't work properly. It's a wierd problem, because obviously the
PC's under more strain when I'm playing the game and it has to
generate the graphics and sound, as opposed to when it's just playing
back a pre-rendered movie!!!

--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.

Doughboy

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:24:51 -0500, "Dr_Dickie"
<Dr_Dickie@chembench.com> wrote:

>I had something similar to this, and by simply allowing the program to
>select the ideal setting for me the problem was corrected. Even though the
>settings were the same as I entered by hand (or mouse).
>Worth a quick try.

Thanks for trying to help, but it didn't make any difference.

--
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat.