Archer01

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2001
Ok, I already know that Crucial or Samsung is pretty much the way to go if you're buying DDR memory but I also want to get memory that's CL2/CAS2 because it's supposed to perform better than CL2.5 memory. I've been to the crucial website and all the DDR memory they are offering is CL2.5. Can I just assume that I'll be able to run Crucial chips at CAS2 and get away with it or no? The same thing goes for Samsung chips. I've seen them on pricewatch alternately labled as CL2 or CL2.5. If I can assume that Crucial or Samsung memory will run at CL2 even when listed at 2.5 does this apply to both PC2100 and PC2700 memory? How much difference, if any, does it make if the chips are set in a BGA? I know DDR is being pushed to it's limit especially at 166 and higher speeds. Should I be considering a heat spreader or some other form of cooling? Will it make a difference? Last but not least I want to get 512mb of memory I've heard I'm better off getting it all on one module because lower latancy settings becomes a problem when accessing more than one module. Is this true? Just looking for some sage memory advice. Thanks.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes.
good quality Cas2.5 ram can run quite easily at cas2.0

this applies to both PC2100 and PC2700

heat spreaders really dont make that much of a difference. but they do help with extreme overclocks... and look very cool.

BGA chips are just done differently...suposedly better thermal characteristics...but im not convinced.

if you want some PC2700 i reccommend crucial or sambsung 512Mb sticks. high capacity, high performance, high quality.

<b>Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped! :cool: </b>