Sign in with
Your question

How to trace a lost laptop acer aspire 5732z

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 17, 2012 6:03:56 AM

Good day, I've lost my Laptop Acer 5732z yesterday. Please help me to track the location of my laptop. It's very important to me sir. My dad works in Qatar for 2years, to have that laptop.
I need it so much in school sir. Im an IT Student. Please sir, I beg you. I don't know what to do. Thanks.
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2012 11:38:40 PM

I am sorry, but this is not television or a movie; you cannot track a stolen laptop unless you installed some sort of spyware or tracking software on it.
m
l
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2012 12:18:05 AM

PhilFrisbie is right, the time to prevent this loss was BEFORE you lost it. You could have used something like Prey. Even then, the chances of recovery are quite slim. Otherwise, you can pretty much kiss it goodbye (not unless it's found by a good Samaritan).

http://preyproject.com/

Is there any chance the laptop is booting some service that might be traceable, say an Hamachi VPN, an embedded GPS device, maybe auto-connecting to Gmail (which tracks the last access IP address), etc.? These are still very slim opportunities, but that’s about all I can think of. The big problem is if it’s stolen, the thief is probably smart enough to not boot the machine while near a wireless network, and once though investigating the hard drive offline, will just reformat it.

Your best bet is to keep your hard drive backed up, encrypted, and assume if it’s lost, it’s lost for good. Then the worst that happens is you lose some hardware, but not data.

m
l
!