B&W Matrix 801 S3 ?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
August 12, 2004 5:10:25 PM

Within a search for an upgrade from my Genelecs 1030 there came an
incredible opportunity to get B&W Matrix 801 S3 in very good condition
for reasonable price. I heard very high praise about these monitors
(kind of a legend) and they seem to be used for plenty of classical
music recordings worldwide. Some people say (especially pop and rock
guys), that these speakers have a bit blooming bass and they would
prefer 802 model.
But some people also say that these monitors sound a way better than
the new Nautilus series.

Do you have any direct experience with these ? Would it be a good step
forward ? One studio engineer told me these could possibly be the last
monitors I would ever need ...

More about : matrix 801

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 10:07:18 PM

Ivo <ivo@savita.cz> wrote:
>Do you have any direct experience with these ? Would it be a good step
>forward ? One studio engineer told me these could possibly be the last
>monitors I would ever need ...

They are okay. They're very clean sounding and are one of the more common
choices for classical work. Personally I don't like the general presentation
on the things, which is much closer than I tend to like, but they are
perfectly reasonable (and anyway I have a personal bias against monkey
boxes to begin with). If you're used to the Genelec 1030s, though, you
will find them really a huge shock... for one thing, the narrowband bass
resonances of the 1030 aren't there and it can be hard to get used to that.
--scott

August 12, 2004 11:04:36 PM

I've got years of 801 matrix 3 listening under my belt, and some months of 801 Nautilus. Can't
stand the Nautilus. Totally bloated bass, tweeters that sound like pancake syrup, but still
with a bit of shriek, and badly congested midrange. The Matrix 3's are far from perfect, but I
sure as heck think they're a hell of a lot better. The only time I have heard the Matrix3
really sound good & actually image well was when I drove them with a pair of VTL 120 tube
monoblocks that I had upgraded, set to triode mode & with feedback switched off. The bass is
too much in most rooms, but not too bad in a well padded room of reasonable size(like average
living room size).

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Ivo" <ivo@savita.cz> wrote in message news:14112cd9.0408121210.f74d3b8@posting.google.com...
> Within a search for an upgrade from my Genelecs 1030 there came an
> incredible opportunity to get B&W Matrix 801 S3 in very good condition
> for reasonable price. I heard very high praise about these monitors
> (kind of a legend) and they seem to be used for plenty of classical
> music recordings worldwide. Some people say (especially pop and rock
> guys), that these speakers have a bit blooming bass and they would
> prefer 802 model.
> But some people also say that these monitors sound a way better than
> the new Nautilus series.
>
> Do you have any direct experience with these ? Would it be a good step
> forward ? One studio engineer told me these could possibly be the last
> monitors I would ever need ...
August 13, 2004 6:09:17 AM

ivo@savita.cz (Ivo) wrote in message news:<14112cd9.0408121210.f74d3b8@posting.google.com>...
> Within a search for an upgrade from my Genelecs 1030 there came an
> incredible opportunity to get B&W Matrix 801 S3 in very good condition
> for reasonable price. I heard very high praise about these monitors
> (kind of a legend) and they seem to be used for plenty of classical
> music recordings worldwide. Some people say (especially pop and rock
> guys), that these speakers have a bit blooming bass and they would
> prefer 802 model.
> But some people also say that these monitors sound a way better than
> the new Nautilus series.
>
> Do you have any direct experience with these ? Would it be a good step
> forward ? One studio engineer told me these could possibly be the last
> monitors I would ever need ...

I've used the 802 matrix S3 for years and I still love them. I think
they translate well. The bass is a little more manageable than the 801
but if your room doesn't have any bass problems they would probably be
fine. Still haven't heard the nautilus series yet so I can't compare.
The Matrix have very detailed mids and I think the soundstage is very
realistic. They don't like high volume and as Scott said, they sound
NOTHING like the Genelecs.

How "resonable" is the price?? I'd be very tempted.

bob
August 13, 2004 9:23:20 AM

I enquired at the Czech Philharmonic studios , Czech National
Symphonic Orchestra Studios and one more studio, where they use 801
and they all said, 801s are great and extremely accurate. The only
problems they mentioned is 1) 801 tend to sound very beautiful, so
sometimes one may be too satisfied with the mix 2) they are not really
suitable for rock etc. due to their rather slower bass 3) one needs a
room which is not too small ...
Let us see, I may go for them in the end
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:17:44 PM

Bob Chandler <bassface@pacbell.net> wrote:

>I've used the 802 matrix S3 for years and I still love them. I think
>they translate well. The bass is a little more manageable than the 801
>but if your room doesn't have any bass problems they would probably be
>fine. Still haven't heard the nautilus series yet so I can't compare.
>The Matrix have very detailed mids and I think the soundstage is very
>realistic. They don't like high volume and as Scott said, they sound
>NOTHING like the Genelecs.

I didn't like the Nautilus stuff at all... upper midrange just didn't
sound right at all to me.

But I still think he should give the S30 a listen.
--scott