Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory Singleplayer Demo

Andrew

3dgamers.com have a SP demo for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, weighing
in at a slightly portly 585MB.

Tanks for that info....bin waiting for this one....I think I'm going to have
to abandon
the last bit of the1st Splinter cell....so I can get on to Pandora
Tomorow..! :)
Chaos Theory will have to be a big advance in Gameplay with lots new
elements
to get me to buy the full thing....can have to much of the same-game-thing..
and I dont want to find I end up hating a game I've rated 99% at 1st..

The Splinter Cell site has no mention of the sp demo (they keep on re: the
multi-player
to an extent that worries me a bit....can't see really SC as mp games)
...not much sign of this file around the 'net yet....found it here...
http://www.pcgamessource.com/demo/Splinter Cell Chaos Theory Demo.exe
But allso someplace has the file name as .... sc_chaos_theory-sp_demo.zip
Luv Mouse
@@@@@@@

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

I can't download something this big, but please post reviews, and especially
how it performs on your hardware. I'm hoping it will perform a bit better
than the previous release.

rms

Andrew

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:39:35 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net>
wrote:

>I can't download something this big, but please post reviews, and especially
>how it performs on your hardware. I'm hoping it will perform a bit better
>than the previous release.

It looks fantastic, an evolutionary improvement over the previous
games, I am glad to see they have sorted out the FSAA bug. The
infrared view still blows my socks off.

Gameplay still seems like the previous games but this takes place in a
more interesting outdoor/cave environment. After playing Riddick I
miss a proper FPS view even more in SC.

Overall I probably won't buy it as the SC games don't totally work for
me, but fans will like it and for a graphics showcase alone it is
worth the download IMO.

shawk

trimble bracegirdle wrote:
> Going by the info for the above file at
> http://www.pcgamessource.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1108874128&archi
> ve=&start_from=&ucat=&
> It is a very early release (perhaps German lang.) & wont be fully around for
> a few days yet...
> I cant get the given above 3dgamers file link to work at all...tink i'll
> leave starting
> such a big download 'till things a bit clearer....
> luv mouse @@@@@@

Mouse,

Try this one.

http://www.filerush.com/download.php?target=sc_chaos_theory-sp_demo.zip

Shaun

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

rms wrote:
> I can't download something this big, but please post reviews, and
especially
> how it performs on your hardware. I'm hoping it will perform a bit
better
> than the previous release.

I've just been playing the demo. The graphics are quite snazzy and
definitely a leap above the last two games -- lots of bump-mapping and
shadow effects. The EAX sound is excellent too.

Performance-wise, it's quite smooth on my rig which is no great shakes.
I've got a P4 1.8Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 9800 Pro (128MB) and I'm playing
with 2X anisotropic filtering at high shadow resolution. I don't think
framerate is going to be a problem on this game, it plays as smooth as
the previous two.

On the other hand, gameplay so far is identical to the last two. For
me, the second game started to get a bit boring simply because I'd done
it all before, and it doesn't look like the third one is any different.
If you absolutely love Splinter Cell, I'm sure you'll dig this. If you
simply enjoy it like me, you might wait for a cheaper price because I
see nothing really new here and I don't think it's worth $50.

Based on this demo, Splinter Cell 3 = snazzier graphics w/ same exact
gameplay.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:26:52 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>3dgamers.com have a SP demo for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, weighing
>in at a slightly portly 585MB.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the full game on this one. Most of
the servers have been at max # of clients for the last few days. I did
manage to connect to one of the Austrailian servers and got a 60k/sec
transfer. Since it was 2:00am I left it to DL and went to bed. When I
got up I had the entire file, but the zip was corrupted.
Then I figured I'd try bittorent for faster downloads.

LOL. Best I could get with that was 2kb/sec.
I'm on cable and can usually get 450k/sec on a good site.

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Andrew

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:14:48 GMT, Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>LOL. Best I could get with that was 2kb/sec.
>I'm on cable and can usually get 450k/sec on a good site.

I think I ended up getting it from Fileplanet as 3dgamers was having a
bad day yesterday.

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> once tried to test me with:

> 3dgamers.com have a SP demo for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, weighing
> in at a slightly portly 585MB.

I hated the first Splinter Cell demo. Is the gameplay any better or is it
still "must do every single frickin thing the develop wants you to do in
exactly the right order or fail the mission" bullshit?

--

Knight37

> I hated the first Splinter Cell demo. Is the gameplay any better or is it
> still "must do every single frickin thing the develop wants you to do in
> exactly the right order or fail the mission" bullshit?

This demo is much more free form compared to the first 2 games. Its
still basically on a guided path towards an ending objective and area
but how you get there has many more choices now but keep in mind this
ain't by any means no GTA3.

noman

wrote:

>3dgamers.com have a SP demo for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, weighing
>in at a slightly portly 585MB.

The graphics are definitely lot better than the previous two games. On
my 9800Pro (128 meg), 1GB DDR and P4 2.7, it works fine at 1024x768
with ingame 2xAA/8xAF and high shadow settings. Geforce 5/6 owners
will get an additional option for the shadow rendering algorithm,
similar to DOOM3.

Anyway it looks great and works great for 9800Pro. The shader works is
interesting, although most of times during demo, I kept the game in
night vision mode, which is very nicely done. If only DOOM3 could have
something like that.

Gameplay wise, it's very similar, except for one big addition. Besides
the ambient light indicator, you also get one for ambient sound. You
can see through a slider, how much noise Sam is making and also what's
the noise level in the environment. Move near the ocean and the noise
gets really high; move along the echoing corridors and the noise level
gets very low. It's an interesting implementation.

--
Noman

I cant get this to properly install and it wont run with strange error msg's
on my Windows 98..
the demos readme sais Win 2000/XP ..the full games spec. gives 98 ????
Any Bunny know for sure ???????
Sob mouse :(

Andrew

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:04:44 -0000, "trimble bracegirdle"
<newmouse@beeb.netREMOVESPAM> wrote:

>I cant get this to properly install and it wont run with strange error msg's
>on my Windows 98..
>the demos readme sais Win 2000/XP ..the full games spec. gives 98 ????
>Any Bunny know for sure ???????
>Sob mouse :(

They released an updated demo yesterday with some bug fixes, maybe
this is one of them.

My advice would be to upgrade to XP, it is far superior to 98.