Elliot Smith's Vocals

Last response: in Home Audio
August 12, 2004 5:46:55 PM

Anyone have general guidelines on how to emulate a vocal sound like
Elliot Smith's on songs like "Angeles" and "Miss Misery"?

More about : elliot smith vocals

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 2:48:14 AM

On 12 Aug 2004 13:46:55 -0700,
notsew-reversePreceedingAndRemoveThis@canncentral.org (Weston C)
wrote:

>Anyone have general guidelines on how to emulate a vocal sound like
>Elliot Smith's on songs like "Angeles" and "Miss Misery"?

Rob Schnapf has posted here under the name SPOMPF. He may have
more details for you.

All of his recordings are largely home recordings. The later ones
were all at Elliott's own studio. He was very involved in the
process.

To me, even the horrible quality live MP3's from fan sites sound
exactly like him, so there it is.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 2:58:32 AM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:48:14 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
<chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

>Rob Schnapf has posted here under the name SPOMPF. He may have
>more details for you.
>
>All of his recordings are largely home recordings. The later ones
>were all at Elliott's own studio. He was very involved in the
>process.
>
>To me, even the horrible quality live MP3's from fan sites sound
>exactly like him, so there it is.

Sorry. What a mess. Cut and paste the first paragraph to the
end and it will make (a little) sense.
Sorry.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 6:42:52 AM

notsew-reversePreceedingAndRemoveThis@canncentral.org (Weston C) wrote in message news:<df41fe1.0408121246.42a0f11a@posting.google.com>...
> Anyone have general guidelines on how to emulate a vocal sound like
> Elliot Smith's on songs like "Angeles" and "Miss Misery"?

write similar melodies, sing like him and double track your vocals/pan to taste...

i think he just used a 57 or 58 into a portastudio for his home recordings.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:26:23 AM

I don't know what equipment was used, but as far as technique in
multitracking, just doubletrack your vocals and use a program like VocAlign
Project to sync them together perfectly.

--
J.C. Scott

"Nothing cures insomnia like the realization that it's time to get up."

"Weston C" <notsew-reversePreceedingAndRemoveThis@canncentral.org> wrote in
message news:D f41fe1.0408121246.42a0f11a@posting.google.com...
> Anyone have general guidelines on how to emulate a vocal sound like
> Elliot Smith's on songs like "Angeles" and "Miss Misery"?
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:55:24 AM

notsew-reversePreceedingAndRemoveThis@canncentral.org (Weston C) wrote in message news:<df41fe1.0408121246.42a0f11a@posting.google.com>...
> Anyone have general guidelines on how to emulate a vocal sound like
> Elliot Smith's on songs like "Angeles" and "Miss Misery"?

Get a guy who sounds like Elliot Smith and double track him.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 12:07:55 PM

In article <0dtnh0lvnkp22modp4tc6mgufebvcpjkob@4ax.com>,
Chris Hornbeck <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:48:14 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
> <chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:
>
> >Rob Schnapf has posted here under the name SPOMPF. He may have
> >more details for you.
> >
> >All of his recordings are largely home recordings. The later ones
> >were all at Elliott's own studio. He was very involved in the
> >process.
> >
> >To me, even the horrible quality live MP3's from fan sites sound
> >exactly like him, so there it is.
>
> Sorry. What a mess. Cut and paste the first paragraph to the
> end and it will make (a little) sense.
> Sorry.
>
> Chris Hornbeck

Hmmm... an indication that consciousness is non-linear?

-Jay

x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 7:37:09 AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:07:55 -0700, Jay Kadis <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu>
wrote:

>Hmmm... an indication that consciousness is non-linear?

I'd like to think that it's just an Elliott Smith consciousness,
but it's really just something much less.

"Walking out between parked cars,
with my head full of stars,"

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 5:36:36 PM

Didn't he do many of his recordings at Jackpot! ?
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 7:31:03 PM

> Didn't he do many of his recordings at Jackpot! ?

Dunno... I was under the impression that at least a couple of Smith's early
collections were home recordings.
Maybe someone can edify?

Skler
!