Network setup/help

nodigs31

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
First off, if I link how I will be attempting to set up my network then try to explain.

http://www.gliffy.com/publish/3738419/

So, I have an Asus RT-N66U router with my SHub in Modem mode. I want to use both bands on this router - 5Ghz for the 2 machines that have capable cards/adapters and the 2.4Ghz for the laptop that has an 'n' card but at only 2.4Ghz. So I want both running in N only but that leaves me with phones etc that may not be 'n' compatable.

So if I wired another Router be it my old Netgear WPN824 (802.11g) or the Dlink DIR 615 and have this running for my phones and any visitors.

My ideal set-up would be to get a USB adapter for the laptop without 5Ghz and bring that upto 5Ghz and use the 2.4Ghz band for phones but my brother will not do this.

But I hear having 'n' and 'g' devices on the 2.4Ghz band will bring down its performance so I'm wanting to keep this performance as high as possible while being able to use phones/ipods and any other future or old device I may aquire.

Also using a guest network for phones on the 2.4Ghz band would be the same as using them on the main 2.4Ghz network SSID.

Hopefully this is somewhat understandable lol.

Please any advice welcome

Having G and N used simultaneously is only going to reduce performance when they share the same wireless AP, since they necessarily must share the same freq/channel. OTOH, having them on different wireless APs gives you the freedom to use different channels, even if the freqs are the same. So it’s a non-issue under those circumstances.

nodigs31

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I have turned my WPN824 into WAP seems to work fine, I notice on inSSIDer that 6 is used a lot and 11 once and 1 none. So putting 2.4ghz n only onto chan 1 and WAP onto 11 would be best?

And this wont bring down the performance of my 2.4ghz n only? aslong as all my g devices connect to the seperate WAP specifically for these?

Sounds good to me.

Correct. Think about it. What if your neighbor was using that other router, not you? Would you expect to be impacted? Of course not. Only if you and the neighbor used the same freq/channel, which is always the case. Again, the potential performance issue that concerns you is ONLY an issue within the SAME router, not between DIFFERENT routers.