mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
hi,
i've been reading some posts and visited a couple different sites. but still unclear a little bit. i'm looking to setup 2 computers to share internet(cable). now i did this before, but i heard this is a "hack" job. one pc has 2 nic and the other has one. hook the one up to the hub, then from the hub to one of nics, the from the hub to the comp with 2 nic, then hook the other nic to the modem. then i ran sygate to handle it. i never liked the setup, and was looking for something a lot more streamlined and also have the computers be able to access the internet independently(before the one always had to be on for the other). k, now question is do i need a hub or a router or both? this i'm not sure on, i would know physically how their setup, but wouldn't be to sure on which i need. is a router just a physical firewall as opposed to using zonealarm, blackice, etc? and also, i'm not 100% if i would need any software (sygate, wingate, etc). to run it, or should everything work with windows components? thanks a lot guys/ladies.

CPUs are like testicles, every computer should have 2!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
just get a Cable/DSL router, like the Linksys or Netgear or SMC or D-Link versions - here are a few examples: <A HREF="http://www.egghead.com/ShowPage.dll?page=cat_type_ceos&Category=NERODR" target="_new">Cable/DSL routers</A> - thats all you'll need. They all do NAT which is pretty effective at keeping stuff out. In addition, they all filter out IP ports, unless you want something coming in (also effective firewall stuff). Setup is very easy. Good luck.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
thanks for the help. yes i was looking at netgear's rp114 or the rt311. thanks again.

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is it ok to use hub for internet sharing? Cuz router is much more expensive than hub. In addition, I've seen people use hub to share DSL. They did it base on ethernet flatform. Please explain. Thanks!

I try to smile everyday but I can't... :smile:

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i was only using a hub before when i had it going. and from reading other posts people have done it too. but i'm just gathering that a router is a physical firewall? instead of software (black ice, zone alarm, etc)? not sure tho.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Is it ok to use hub for internet sharing? Cuz router is much more expensive than hub
Only if your ISP provides you with more than one IP address, which most don't. The router uses the 1 IP and allows you to have many IP's on your lan. A hub won't do that because it is not a smart device.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

lordmeatball

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Maybe this website can answer a few questions:

<A HREF="http:// www.practicallynetworked.com " target="_new">http:// www.practicallynetworked.com </A>

:tongue: What's the point of having a signature of the week?? It's the same every week! :tongue: