Aopen CDRW misreads audio disks only?

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Has anyone seen this:
I have an AOpen CDRW 20x10x40. Got it at Christmas. Its burned and played many CDs in its short life. However, all of a sudden when I put in an audio CD (factory or burnt) it reads the tracks (as "track 1" "track 2"...) but only says that the file size is 1kb for every single song and will not play any music? MP3s play just fine from the HD.

It will still burn CDs and it will read data cds just fine. And the only other funny thing is, Nero can see the correct file sizes.

I've uninstalled MusicMatch, Nero, InCD, NeroMedia player, and only left WinAmp, Windows Media player, and Real Player installed (I think).

Anybody have any suggestions before I take it out and try it in another PC to be sure that its not the drive? I think its software but I wanted to check with you first.

Thanks,
Ret

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the files that are listed are just representations for the tracks. it goes way back to win 3.1 days, the riaa made an agrement that ms wouldnt show the actual data of an audio cd. you put the cd in and nothing happens? what happens if you try to play it? error? track looks like it plays but no audio? you either have it on mute or have unplugged the cable from the sound card.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Most excellent.. I'd not noticed that the "1k" thing was the norm until I just checked a CD in my own drive.

When the CD is in, and a track is selected (in any given player), and play is clicked, it does not appear to play, there is no light activity on the drive and no error message - it simply just sits there with the track in the play list but no indications that it is playing. I've let it sit there for as long as a minute without result.

This actually happened to a friend of mine's mother in law's PC. So, as much as I'd like to know myself, I do not know what she might have done or changed (either accidentally or otherwise) or what conditions might have been present when this began to occur. - I must say its stumped me, and that is why I am here, for growth!! ;)

I do appreciate you for brainstorming this with me ji.

What else do you think?

Thanks,
Ret