Gaming Mice?

Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing, the
fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes it tough
to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech MX510 or the
Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well for gaming?

turk
White House will be adorned by a downright moron." - H. L. Mencken,
Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920
24 answers Last reply
More about gaming mice

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:02:09 -0600, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
    >Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing, the
    >fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes it tough
    >to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech MX510 or the
    >Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well for gaming?

    I am happy with my MX500, but I have seen a lot of positive stuff
    about the MX1000, I would probably go for that if I was in the market
    for a new mouse.

    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:02:09 -0600, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
    >>Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing, the
    >>fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes it tough
    >>to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech MX510 or the
    >>Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well for gaming?
    >
    > I am happy with my MX500, but I have seen a lot of positive stuff
    > about the MX1000, I would probably go for that if I was in the market
    > for a new mouse.

    I'm a little reluctant to go the cordless route. I have enough trouble
    misplacing my remotes. But it does have that stand to put it in when you're
    not using it. so maybe...

    "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:02:09 -0600, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
    >>>Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing,
    >>>the
    >>>fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes it
    >>>tough
    >>>to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech MX510 or the
    >>>Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well for gaming?
    >>
    >> I am happy with my MX500, but I have seen a lot of positive stuff
    >> about the MX1000, I would probably go for that if I was in the market
    >> for a new mouse.

    Turk, I have a MX700 wireless and I'm very happy with the response time and
    extra buttons, BUT (very big BUT), I think it is too heavy for long
    fragging sessions, and wears out my hand/wrist like my MS Explorer _never_
    did. My hand actually gets tired of sliding the big-ass thing around.

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:39:59 -0500, "KCB"
    <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote:

    >Turk, I have a MX700 wireless and I'm very happy with the response time and
    >extra buttons, BUT (very big BUT), I think it is too heavy for long
    >fragging sessions, and wears out my hand/wrist like my MS Explorer _never_
    >did. My hand actually gets tired of sliding the big-ass thing around.

    I must say I tried a friends MX700 once and the weight did put me off,
    so I got the MX500. I forgot the MX1000 is cordless. Some people seem
    to like weightier mice, but I am not one of them.

    Hopefully the MX518 will be out soon, combining the benefits of the mx1000
    without its wireless drawbacks.

    rms

    Thusly "KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> Spake Unto All:

    >Turk, I have a MX700 wireless and I'm very happy with the response time and
    >extra buttons, BUT (very big BUT), I think it is too heavy for long
    >fragging sessions, and wears out my hand/wrist like my MS Explorer _never_
    >did. My hand actually gets tired of sliding the big-ass thing around.

    I have the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Corded, light, fast.
    Quite happy with it. I tried the MX700, and frankly I hated it, or, to
    be more precise, I hated Logitechs drivers.

    turk wrote:

    > Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
    > Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing, the
    > fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes it tough
    > to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech MX510 or the
    > Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well for gaming?
    >
    > turk

    You dont need to spend a fortune, i have a cheap old A4tech optical cord mouse.
    The wheel clicks which is handy in games, i just wish it had more buttons sometimes.

    --
    DalienX

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, "turk" wrote:

    > Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft

    the cheapest the best when it comes to mouse and keyboard
    i don't use joysticks of gamepads for gaming

    i never saw what those insanely expensive input devices do extra than
    a ordinary 5 bucks mouse and keyboard don't
    and btw never cordless!
    no cordless! so you don't have to pay EXTRA for batteries!

    cordless input devices are a kind of hysteria i really don't understand

    i want everything with cords! i grew up with cords and i intend to end
    up always using them

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

    > Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a
    > Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really
    > nice for surfing, the fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth"
    > instead of "clicking" makes it tough to change weapons precisely.

    Here's my advice: change weapons from the keyboard. It's a lot faster.

    -Dan Damouth

    "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    > Hopefully the MX518 will be out soon, combining the benefits of the mx1000

    Any of these mice have buttons on the right side? I don't want to lose my
    far-right alt-fire capability that I've been used to for so many years.

    > without its wireless drawbacks.

    What kind of latency hit do these wireless mice have anyway?

    Daniel Damouth wrote:
    > "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in
    >

    >>Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a
    >>Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really
    >>nice for surfing, the fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth"
    >>instead of "clicking" makes it tough to change weapons precisely.
    >

    > Here's my advice: change weapons from the keyboard. It's a lot faster.
    >
    > -Dan Damouth

    Depends on what you mean. If all your leftz hand fingers are in use in a
    frantic fps then right hand clicking mouse wheel is much easier & faster.

    Kroagnon wrote:
    > "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hopefully the MX518 will be out soon, combining the benefits of the mx1000
    >

    > Any of these mice have buttons on the right side? I don't want to lose my
    > far-right alt-fire capability that I've been used to for so many years.
    >

    >>without its wireless drawbacks.
    >

    > What kind of latency hit do these wireless mice have anyway?

    None. Its all in the mind.

    --
    Walter Mitty
    -

    The 510 is about the best gaming mouse . It is verrry smooth and has eight
    fully programmable buttons. Any button to any keystroke except one button
    has to be set to button1/click/select. I especially appreciate this mouse
    because my right arm is partially paralyzed and two handed gaming is not
    something I can do any more.

    Quoth The Raven "turk <turk96@comcast.net>" in
    qPOdnZw2bZyjGYLfRVn-iA@comcast.com
    > Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
    > Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing,
    > the fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes
    > it tough to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech
    > MX510 or the Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well
    > for gaming?
    > turk

    I just bought the Logitech mx1000 cordless laser mouse. its very impressive,
    however occasionally the pointer will pop up to the top of the screen,
    loosing track of where you were holding the cursor, I hope this is a driver
    issue with my faulty install of XP. I am reinstalling tomorrow to see if
    this resolves the problem (amongst others that have been plaguing me since
    xmas)

    --
    I em a wuunderfull spelur, I tipe vari gud two

    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    Quoth The Raven "turk <turk96@comcast.net>" in
    qPOdnZw2bZyjGYLfRVn-iA@comcast.com
    > Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
    > Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing,
    > the fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes
    > it tough to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech
    > MX510 or the Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well
    > for gaming?
    > turk

    I just bought the Logitech mx1000 cordless laser mouse. its very impressive,
    however occasionally the pointer will pop up to the top of the screen,
    loosing track of where you were holding the cursor, I hope this is a driver
    issue with my faulty install of XP. I am reinstalling tomorrow to see if
    this resolves the problem (amongst others that have been plaguing me since
    xmas)

    the response time is amazing, I like the idea that every time I lift the
    mouse the optical beam isn't trying to blind me (the laser is invisible with
    no light emitted) and the responsiveness on any surface so far is great,
    even on my hairy bare leg as I sit in shorts on the couch

    --

    "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, "turk" wrote:

    > i grew up with cords and i intend to end
    > up always using them

    That's what *she* said.

    "Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Thusly "KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> Spake Unto All:
    >

    >>Turk, I have a MX700 wireless and I'm very happy with the response time
    >>and
    >>extra buttons, BUT (very big BUT), I think it is too heavy for long
    >>fragging sessions, and wears out my hand/wrist like my MS Explorer _never_
    >>did. My hand actually gets tired of sliding the big-ass thing around.
    >
    > I have the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Corded, light, fast.
    > Quite happy with it. I tried the MX700, and frankly I hated it, or, to
    > be more precise, I hated Logitechs drivers.

    Really? I have a Logitech Op Mouseman Wheel I'm using now on my older
    system which I love, but the blue ergo version I have seems impossible to
    find now or I'd just buy another one. I use Logitech gamepads (Wingman
    cordless) and keyboards, too, and never had any problems (except for that
    beer spill...).

    turk
    White House will be adorned by a downright moron." - H. L. Mencken,
    Baltimore Evening Sun on 26 July 1920
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Walter Mitty <mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

    > Daniel Damouth wrote:
    >> "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a
    >>>Microsoft Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really
    >>>nice for surfing, the fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth"
    >>>instead of "clicking" makes it tough to change weapons precisely.
    >>

    >> Here's my advice: change weapons from the keyboard. It's a lot
    >> faster.
    >>
    >> -Dan Damouth
    >>

    > Depends on what you mean. If all your leftz hand fingers are in
    > use in a frantic fps then right hand clicking mouse wheel is much
    > easier & faster.

    Seems to me that if the weapon you want is two spots away in the
    rotation, the switch will take twice as long as if you had a key for
    it. If it's three spots away, it'll take 3 times as long. Four, 4.
    I really hate seeing a teammate cycling through weapons to get to the
    one he wants. It takes forever.

    Now, if I could bind my thumb or pinkie mouse button to specific
    weapons, that would be optimal, because you do have a point about the
    left hand getting overloaded in a fight.

    -Dan Damouth
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:02:09 -0600, "turk" <turk96@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Anyone got any advice on a good gaming mouse? I bought a Microsoft
    >Intellimouse Optical Explorer, and while it's really nice for surfing, the
    >fact that the mouse wheel is "smooth" instead of "clicking" makes it tough
    >to change weapons precisely. I'm considering the Logitech MX510 or the
    >Boomslang Razor. Any others that work specifically well for gaming?

    The MX-510 is awesome if you want a cord. I prefer cordless. I got the
    MX-700 after reading all the reviews on how good it was, and have
    experienced NO problems whatsoever. Tracks perfectly, nice and smooth,
    works awesome in FPS games, etc.

    The MX-1000 wouldbe a better buy at this point. If you can afford the
    MX-1000, get that. If not, find a MX-700 for less.

    Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
    reply.
    Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
    Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:40:20 GMT, Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Seems to me that if the weapon you want is two spots away in the
    >rotation, the switch will take twice as long as if you had a key for
    >it. If it's three spots away, it'll take 3 times as long. Four, 4.
    >I really hate seeing a teammate cycling through weapons to get to the
    >one he wants. It takes forever.

    It works in the same way as using the mouse wheel for scrolling in
    windows - it doesn't take 3 times longer to move the wheel 3 notches,
    the bulk of the time is spent moving your finger onto the wheel and
    start moving it, 3 notches will take longer but not a major difference
    and certainly not a multiple of the time for a single increment.
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:40:20 GMT, Daniel Damouth
    > <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Seems to me that if the weapon you want is two spots away in the
    >>rotation, the switch will take twice as long as if you had a key
    >>for it. If it's three spots away, it'll take 3 times as long.

    > It works in the same way as using the mouse wheel for scrolling in
    > windows - it doesn't take 3 times longer to move the wheel 3
    > notches,
    > the bulk of the time is spent moving your finger onto the
    > wheel and start moving it, 3 notches will take longer but not a
    > major difference and certainly not a multiple of the time for a
    > single increment.

    You're right. I just tested it. Using the mouse wheel isn't as much
    slower as I thought. It aborts each weapon switch as you click to the
    next one.

    But isn't it hard to know how many clicks to wheel when you have a
    variable set of weapons in your inventory? Or do you keep a constant
    record of which ones you have?

    In my opinion, some weapons are so important to be able to switch to
    instantly that you need to use keys for them.

    -Dan / Tuber
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Daniel Damouth wrote:
    > Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in
    >

    >>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:40:20 GMT, Daniel Damouth
    >><damouth@san.rr.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Seems to me that if the weapon you want is two spots away in the
    >>>rotation, the switch will take twice as long as if you had a key
    >>>for it. If it's three spots away, it'll take 3 times as long.
    >

    >>It works in the same way as using the mouse wheel for scrolling in
    >>windows - it doesn't take 3 times longer to move the wheel 3
    >>notches,
    >>the bulk of the time is spent moving your finger onto the
    >>wheel and start moving it, 3 notches will take longer but not a
    >>major difference and certainly not a multiple of the time for a
    >>single increment.
    >

    > You're right. I just tested it. Using the mouse wheel isn't as much
    > slower as I thought. It aborts each weapon switch as you click to the
    > next one.
    >
    > But isn't it hard to know how many clicks to wheel when you have a
    > variable set of weapons in your inventory? Or do you keep a constant
    > record of which ones you have?
    >
    > In my opinion, some weapons are so important to be able to switch to
    > instantly that you need to use keys for them.
    >
    > -Dan / Tuber

    IMHO spinning the mousewheel almost instantly to the weapon you want
    becomes as natural as swinging the mouse towards someone's head to aim.

    Once used to it I very much doubt it is any slower than reaching across
    to the corresponding number button - maybe even having to take your eye
    from the action to see where that key is.

    No proof but gut feel says that for someone that has been using that
    wheel for some time it would be faster.

    Disclaimer - I make an exception here for using the 'q' key for
    switching to last weapon as in HL2 - I liked that :-)

    --
    "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
    surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:28:13 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
    wrote:

    >Daniel Damouth wrote:

    >IMHO spinning the mousewheel almost instantly to the weapon you want
    >becomes as natural as swinging the mouse towards someone's head to aim.
    >
    >Once used to it I very much doubt it is any slower than reaching across
    >to the corresponding number button - maybe even having to take your eye
    >from the action to see where that key is.

    IMHO, it seems to be slightly faster than most default configurations.

    I've played UT2004 without a mouse wheel, and the default configuration is
    very inefficient - you always have to stretch across the keyboard to switch
    to a sniper, RL or superweapon. The only way to be just as efficient is to
    make adjustments to wrap the weapon selection system around your movement
    keys.

    BTW, I usually invert the mouse wheel from the default config, so that "up"
    maps to "right". The problem occurrs when multiple weapons get squashed
    into one weapon slot, causing a weapon-selection nightmare.

    >No proof but gut feel says that for someone that has been using that
    >wheel for some time it would be faster.

    Even if the mouse wheel is slower, you still have to make adjustments to
    the default config for lack of wheel. (Either wrapping, binding
    "last-weapon", or some other trick.)
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in

    > I've played UT2004 without a mouse wheel, and the default
    > configuration is very inefficient - you always have to stretch across
    > the keyboard to switch to a sniper, RL or superweapon. The only way
    > to be just as efficient is to make adjustments to wrap the weapon
    > selection system around your movement keys.

    I used to do that in the original UT; I even doubled up keys (shock rifle
    and plasma gun shared a key, ripper and bio-rifle shared another; I don't
    remember what I co-bound with the rocket/grenade launcher -- maybe sniper
    rifle)

    I don't remember the .ini file syntax to do that any more, though. I'd
    probably have to google-groups alt.games.unreal-tournament where somebody
    told me how.

    Truly, taking your hands off the movement keys to switch weapons in heavy
    combat is a good way to find yourself at a random respawn point.

    stePH
    --
    If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
    We are the chick. The world is our egg.

PC gaming Gaming Mice Video Games