Sign in with
Your question

Desktop won't identify network / router ( wired )

Last response: in Networking
August 15, 2012 9:22:42 AM

Hello,

I'm having trouble connecting my desktop to my home network. It was working fine last night, got home from work and voila, can't connect to my router anymore. My setup is cable modem, router, desktop via ethernet to the router, laptop. The laptop, which I am using right now connects just fine wirelessly to the router. Nothing has been changed to the desktop, no software installs, no hardware installs, etc.. No malware / viruses were found either. I'm using windows vista sp2 x32. I've tried all of the following in attempt to fix the problem:

- Power cycling - Firmware updates - Network adapter driver updates - DHCP working fine on router - No MAC address filtering - Also tried static addressing - Restoring factory defaults on router - Desktop restore to last night's restore point ( when it was working ) - All kinds of diagnostics - Ethernet cable testing.

I don't know what else to try, please help!
August 15, 2012 9:45:25 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

If the cable testing went well, try deleting the ethernet connection in the computer then after a restart, it will reconstitute itself and, hopefully, work properly.

m
l
August 15, 2012 9:53:12 AM

Ok, tried that and it's telling me that connection cannot be deleted

EDIT : Went into device manager, uninstalled the network adapter. Waiting on PC to boot back up. If this doesn't work are there any other suggestions?

EDIT 2 : Still isn't working, tried to connect with the drivers Vista automatically installed on restart - Not working - Tried to connect after installing latest drivers from my flash drive - Not working. Just keep getting Unidentified Network , Limited or No Connectivity. This is driving me NUTS !!
m
l
Related resources
August 15, 2012 1:50:33 PM

Press your Windows key and R together and in the Open box type the following, including the spaces.
cmd /k /ipconfig /all
then press Enter.

Right click anywhere in the black form and scroll to Select All. Press Enter to clipboard the entire contents then paste it all into a Reply box to show them up here so we can see what's going on.

m
l
August 16, 2012 4:22:02 AM

Ok, below is the output of the ipconfig /all command. I'm thinking about just going to buy a wireless usb adapter, any experience with those as far as connection speed?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Josh-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter LAN 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-7E-6C-9F-21-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::882f:3f14:ab94:6527%9(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.101.39(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333201
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-10-7F-B2-C0-00-19-D1-E4-6E-5E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{5EE142D0-9B1A-49ED-85B4-5C5989E53
A08}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Windows\system32>
m
l
August 16, 2012 6:39:41 AM

You have no Gateway which doesn't help. What firewall are you using and if it isn't Windows, check that the Windows one isn't running as well. In the Open box, type services.msc and press Enter then scroll through the list of Services, checking for those which are Disabled. On each one that is, read the reasons for that Service - it sounds onerous but it's a great way to learn while fixing your problem. If any are remotely network related, change it form Disabled to Automatic and then press to Start it. The only exceptions to that are Alerter and Messenger - you don't want those.

Restart into Safe Mode with Networking then open a Command form and type in the following:-

ipconfig /flushdns then press Enter.

Restart the machine - still into Safe with Net and enter the following, pressing Enter after each:-

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

One more restart back into Safe with networking and put the final command in:-

netsh int ip reset reset.log and press Enter. Restart into the Normal running mode and see if that helped.

netsh winsock reset catalog

Hopefully all that will make a difference - please post back a new ipconfig /all return so we can see what, if any, it made.

m
l
!