Sign in with
Your question

Sound Card w/ RCA aux out EXTIGY4SALE!

Last response: in Components
July 23, 2002 7:25:50 PM

Hi.
I just recently built a new PC and bought the soundblaster extigy from a retail location instead of online just because I needed by this weekend and was disappointed to discover it had no RCA outs on it. From the picture on Creative's site I though that the line outs were RCA but they are of the small audio plug-type. The reason I needed this is bceause my old system I had installed a used Sound Blaster AWE32 Value ISA card that had just the basic mic, in, out, but also had a red and yellow RCA out that I used to connect to my Pioneer receiver and get MP3 and game music through my home stereo. Now that I have recently just built a new system, I just bought the extigy which does not have it and my new mb doesnt support ISA. I WOULD be able to use the extigy if my receiver had an optical in but it doesn't, because it's a little older. I spent 450 on my receiver and do not wish to upgrade primarily for a sound card... so what I'm asking is if anyone knows of a good brand of PCI card (not bay or external and not expensive) with just simple audio L and R (I guess its what its called - the red and yellow RCA jacks) Or, if anyone else has acheived the setup I am describing, can you please let me know? Also, I am selling the retail extigy I have for $110.00 and I'll pay for shipping. I paid 139.00 from a local retail store. NOTHING has even been open from the celophane.. except of the actual drive... I simply picked it up to look at it to discover the lacking. I would also use paypal or something for security. Thanks for any help or suggestions, you guys here are great!
July 24, 2002 3:36:42 AM

OK, listen up! About 15 years ago, most people couldn't afford two CD players, so they would purchase a portable player and hook it up to their home stereos. How? By using a 3 foot long cable that had a stereo minijack on one end and two RCA jacks on the other! Now, I've seen this cable at a local supermarket for only $3!!! Yes, they still sell these things. In fact, I have a newer portable player that even has an extra stereo minijack labled "preamp out"!

Now, if you can't find them in the electronics departments of your local supermarket, I'm sure Radio Shack probably wants $10 for the same thing.

The signal from your computer will travel at most around 15 feet before the quality is degraded substantially. So a 3 foot cable and a 10 foot headphone extension cord is about your limmit, unless you hook it up the other way with high quality RCA extension cables on that end of the cord.

Radio Smack also carries a solid adapter that does the same thing as the 3-foot cord, but you may not like having a huge adapter poking out of your box.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 24, 2002 6:46:11 AM

I just bought one of those rca to mini adapters, so I could convert some old tapes to cd. Monster makes a 20ft for $40 or you can pick up a high quality 3ft for $12 at best buy. I have the 20ft and it seems to work great for converting tapes to cd.
Related resources
July 24, 2002 1:52:58 PM

Okay, well lets say that I hooked the rca-2-mini's RCA plugs into the cd rca jacks on my Receiver;which I do. Judging by these references to the Extigy --> http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/02q2/020405/extigy-0... what jack should I plug the other end of the adapter cable? Also, what about spdif and digital thats on the front... if my receiver has those (whch I dont know because Im at work), could I utilize those instead or also at the same time? Thanks Crash!
July 24, 2002 3:59:45 PM

Heh, i use one of those Mini-Sterio RCA adapters to plug my Uber Discman into my Game Theatre XP so i can play CD's in their full glory on my PC speakers=) excellence.

I'm assuming the extigy has a line out...i'm also assuming its a mini plug. Connec the line out to the recievers RCA line ins... hit play on the PC and whala the sound is headed to the reciever.

Can't answer the other questsion though=( still utterly confused on the optics and digital signal side as i've yet to actually use it.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
July 24, 2002 5:15:22 PM

Like the other guy said, "line out", since the Extigy is a multi-channel unit, you could use the front speaker out for stereo. If you need a stronger signal, you could also try the headphone jack.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 24, 2002 6:53:47 PM

Don't recommend the headphone jack, sounds different in my experience. The front speakers out plug would definitely do the trick to though, yea, in fact, thats probably the BEST way to do it.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out
July 24, 2002 11:01:39 PM

True, but sometimes if the cables are inadequate, the extra power helps. Shielding is a big factor also.

!