A while back I was playing FarCry. I got to the point where you lose
all your weapons, get tossed out of a chopper and have to start with a
single M4 rifle and 10 rds of ammo.
I was stuck there for a long time and finally uninstalled the game and
played a bunch of other stuff.

Now I've reinstalled the game and started playing it again. In THEORY
I should still have all my old saves. The profile directory was left
when I uninstalled it. In REALITY The regulator level was the last one
that showed up in my saves.

This is all very confusing, so I go over to my friend's place who's
finished the game. (I saw every single checkpoint in the game on his
machine) I had him burn his profile directory to a CD and copied that
to my machine.
Of his 4 profiles, none of them have any saves I can load, yet his
default profile contains 135 save files totaling 18mb.
They're on my hard drive but my game can't see them.

The bottom line is, if my progress in the game was set in the registry
I should have all of my old saves or none of them. (I have about half
of them)
If my progress in the game is stored in the profile directory I should
be able to load all of my old saves or any of my friends saves.

None of this seems to be the case though. Anyone got any idea what's
going on here?

I've replayed a lot of the game but I'm stuck at a point where Valerie
keeps getting me killed and I'm getting very frustrated. :(
I've already suffered past this point once and I just want to get past
the waterfall level.

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

schrodinger

"Jeff Holinski" <Holinski@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>A while back I was playing FarCry. I got to the point where you lose
> all your weapons, get tossed out of a chopper and have to start with a
> single M4 rifle and 10 rds of ammo.
> I was stuck there for a long time and finally uninstalled the game and
> played a bunch of other stuff.
>
> Now I've reinstalled the game and started playing it again. In THEORY
> I should still have all my old saves. The profile directory was left
> when I uninstalled it. In REALITY The regulator level was the last one
> that showed up in my saves.
>
> This is all very confusing, so I go over to my friend's place who's
> finished the game. (I saw every single checkpoint in the game on his
> machine) I had him burn his profile directory to a CD and copied that
> to my machine.
> Of his 4 profiles, none of them have any saves I can load, yet his
> default profile contains 135 save files totaling 18mb.
> They're on my hard drive but my game can't see them.
>
> The bottom line is, if my progress in the game was set in the registry
> I should have all of my old saves or none of them. (I have about half
> of them)
> If my progress in the game is stored in the profile directory I should
> be able to load all of my old saves or any of my friends saves.
>
> None of this seems to be the case though. Anyone got any idea what's
> going on here?
>
> I've replayed a lot of the game but I'm stuck at a point where Valerie
> keeps getting me killed and I'm getting very frustrated. :(
> I've already suffered past this point once and I just want to get past
> the waterfall level.
>

> Remove nospam_ to reply by email
>
> Jeff H........

Is it something to do with game version?

IIRC the latest patch meant that older saves would not work. Check your
version is at the same as your friend's.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:41:14 GMT, "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> wrote:

>Is it something to do with game version?
>
>IIRC the latest patch meant that older saves would not work. Check your
>version is at the same as your friend's.

I'm pretty sure we're both running the 1.0 version of the game that
came on the CD, but I'll look into that. I don't recall ever patching
it on my previous install, but if I did part way through the game that
might explain the partial saves. Thanks for the tip.

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> once tried to test me with:

> I'm four levels into Farcry and have had no problems at all
> quicksaving using the console command. I don't have to type the code
> in every time all I have to do is enter \save_game 1 once, then each
> time I want to save I hit ~ then the up arrow key, and then hit enter.
> It takes about two sec. I quicksave my game like I do with every other
> game I play and it works just fine. I can't understand what all the
> fuss is over this. It even says in the readme that comes with the game
> this is how to quicksave. The game is well worth the little extra
> effort. JLC

Why didn't they just put the damn thing as a bindable hotkey?

I didn't know about this, though, thanks, I might go back and replay some
of it. it was pretty frustrating restarting all the time.

--

Knight37

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I'm four levels into Farcry and have had no problems at all quicksaving
> using the console command. I don't have to type the code in every time all
> have to do is enter \save_game 1 once, then each time I want to save I hit
~
> then the up arrow key, and then hit enter. It takes about two sec. I
> quicksave my game like I do with every other game I play and it works just
> fine. I can't understand what all the fuss is over this. It even says in
the

That's because you are only 4 levels in. I had problems with the scripted
events further in using \save_games on 1.0. Had to go back on previous saves
a number of times. You will also. Save often and use more than 1 quicksave.

> readme that comes with the game this is how to quicksave. The game is well
> worth the little extra effort. JLC

Wasn't officially supported Quicksave supposed to have been released in a
patch? I still can't find any info about this.

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message

> >I admit to not trying the latest patches or replaying the game until I
get a
> >better video card, but as of 1.3 they are "still working on it"? Wow, my
> >respect for CryTek just went down a notch. It doesn't take this long.
> Don't be suprised if something takes a year to work on, especially if
there
> isn't much information about why something is wonky.
>
> I know how it is like to try and track down a small bug in my own code,
> where this small bug involves transposing two variable names. This
> remained undetected because it looks similar enough to the algorithm used
> for writing.

The issue is that they should never have shipped the game without save
anywhere in the first place.

Hi,

Kroagnon <kroagnon@kroagnon.com> wrote:
#The issue is that they should never have shipped the game without save
#anywhere in the first place.

Right.

I have held off on buying Far Cry for that reason, I have to play
single-player games in short dribs and drabs of time around my real
responsibilities, and lack of save-anywhere just means I have to replay
the same portions over and over again until I get to the next save
point. That quickly leads to an uninstall.

I've learned my lesson on that point and read reviews before buying, as
soon as the reviewer goes into the "lack of save-anywhere is not so bad
because..." shpiel, I move on to the next review.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!

"Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message

> #The issue is that they should never have shipped the game without save
> #anywhere in the first place.
>
> Right.
>
> I have held off on buying Far Cry for that reason, I have to play
> single-player games in short dribs and drabs of time around my real
> responsibilities, and lack of save-anywhere just means I have to replay
> the same portions over and over again until I get to the next save
> point. That quickly leads to an uninstall.

Indeed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Far Cry but the quicksave issue and
the last few levels marred the experience for me.

I wouldn't hold my breath that any save anywhere will be officially
released. I seem to recall discussions last year about this developer
indicating that a similar promise was broken on a previous game.