What happened to lighting effects of weapon fires in FPS?

I just found out that in recent first person shooters, weapon fires no
longer light up the surrounding environments.
weapon, throw a grenade, shoot a rocket down a hall way. You will find
that the surrounding environments will be lit. Now Start up Doom 3,
Half life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and do the same. You will find
weapon fires have absolutely no lighting effects on the environments!
This seems a step backward and it really bothers me. What happened with
all these "new" 3D engines?

Thusly sj543210@yahoo.com Spake Unto All:

>I just found out that in recent first person shooters, weapon fires no
>longer light up the surrounding environments.
>Now Start up Doom 3,
>Half life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and do the same. You will find
>weapon fires have absolutely no lighting effects

Actually it does in Doom3, but the effect is a) only visible at high
gfx quality and b) understated. The reason being that it eats CPU
cycles; if you have a weak machine you do not want the dynamic
lighting system of doom3 calaculating the light from 20 fireballs.

There are plenty of mods which pumps up the lighting effect from the
muzzle flashes, and I have a vague memory one can also do it by
editing a config file?

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

> Actually it does in Doom3, but the effect is a) only visible at high
> gfx quality and b) understated.

Some graphics guru from beyond3d.com made a shader tweak for doom3 that
enabled weapon glow for plasmaballs and rockets, which works very well, as
long as you have a fast pc.

I put it up on my site along with some pics of it in action:
http://home.flash.net/~rsquires/Doom3pics/

rms

Andrew

On 27 Feb 2005 07:07:10 -0800, sj543210@yahoo.com wrote:

>I just found out that in recent first person shooters, weapon fires no
>longer light up the surrounding environments.
>weapon, throw a grenade, shoot a rocket down a hall way. You will find
>that the surrounding environments will be lit. Now Start up Doom 3,
>Half life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and do the same. You will find
>weapon fires have absolutely no lighting effects on the environments!
>This seems a step backward and it really bothers me. What happened with
>all these "new" 3D engines?

I just tried it in UT2004 and the rockets do light up the environment.
I think you noticed it more in Unreal because of the dispersion pistol
shot moved so slowly.

Toby

On 2005-02-27, rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:
>> Actually it does in Doom3, but the effect is a) only visible at high
>> gfx quality and b) understated.
>
> Some graphics guru from beyond3d.com made a shader tweak for doom3 that
> enabled weapon glow for plasmaballs and rockets, which works very well, as
> long as you have a fast pc.
>
> I put it up on my site along with some pics of it in action:
> http://home.flash.net/~rsquires/Doom3pics/

It's a good mod, and doesn't destroy my mid-upper spec PC. It means
that, in the dark, you don't have to switch to torch but can just let
off a spray of plasma in the general direction of the enemy.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

sj543210@yahoo.com wrote:
> I just found out that in recent first person shooters, weapon fires no
> longer light up the surrounding environments.
> weapon, throw a grenade, shoot a rocket down a hall way. You will find
> that the surrounding environments will be lit. Now Start up Doom 3,
> Half life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and do the same. You will find
> weapon fires have absolutely no lighting effects on the environments!
> This seems a step backward and it really bothers me. What happened with
> all these "new" 3D engines?

Curious thing I noticed regarding the Source engine:

* In Half-Life 2, shoot a gun and you'll see nearby object light up (eg.
NPCs, boxes), but not surfaces like walls or floors.

* In Counter-Strike Source, shoot a gun and you'll see EVERYTHING light
up, including surfaces. This is probably deliberate to help show where a
person is hiding from.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Mean_Chlorine wrote:

> Thusly sj543210@yahoo.com Spake Unto All:
>
> >I just found out that in recent first person shooters, weapon fires no
> >longer light up the surrounding environments.
> >Now Start up Doom 3, Half life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and do the
> >same. You will find weapon fires have absolutely no lighting effects
>
> Actually it does in Doom3, but the effect is a) only visible at high
> editing a config file?

You are right. Dynamic lights in Doom 3 can be enabled regardless of the
graphics settings via the config file. Another item that like the gamma
value belongs to the menus and not hidden! I don't know about UT 2004 but
HL2 shows no dynamic lights which is another HL2 dissappointment to me.

Werner Spahl wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Mean_Chlorine wrote:
>

>>Thusly sj543210@yahoo.com Spake Unto All:
>>

>>>I just found out that in recent first person shooters, weapon fires no
>>>longer light up the surrounding environments.

>>>Now Start up Doom 3, Half life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and do the
>>>same. You will find weapon fires have absolutely no lighting effects
>>
>>Actually it does in Doom3, but the effect is a) only visible at high
>>editing a config file?
>

> You are right. Dynamic lights in Doom 3 can be enabled regardless of the
> graphics settings via the config file. Another item that like the gamma
> value belongs to the menus and not hidden! I don't know about UT 2004 but
> HL2 shows no dynamic lights which is another HL2 dissappointment to me.

So you have said on multiple occasions...

Personally, I'd disagree on the gamma setting being on the menu. People
smart enough to know what they want can find out how to enable it.
People who don't know & just twiddle will be moaning about poor
performance.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Hi,

<sj543210@yahoo.com> wrote:
#I just found out that in recent first person shooters, weapon fires no
#longer light up the surrounding environments.
#weapon, throw a grenade, shoot a rocket down a hall way. You will find
#that the surrounding environments will be lit. Now Start up Doom 3,
#Half life 2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 and do the same.

No problems in D3 here. Things light-up nicely.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!