Article: What makes a good surgeon? Video games

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.hacker,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

http://tinyurl.com/3uutn

The running joke that playfully follows Dr. James Clarence Rosser Jr.
when he prepares to operate at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York
is that this ebullient man possesses hands too large to perform
traditional surgery.

Instead, Rosser prefers laparoscopic surgery, a technique that relies
on an ultrasmall video camera to help him manipulate long, slender
instruments inserted into patients through small incisions. It is, he
said recently, as his hulking 6-foot-4 frame loomed over a surgical
simulator using instruments he designed, an elegantly efficient
approach to repairing the human body.

"In this new realm of laparoscopic surgery, you don't cut people open,
or put your hands inside them," he said, demonstrating his mastery of
hand-eye coordination and his keen depth perception by delicately tying
tiny knots in a piece of suturing thread in a procedure he has long
described as akin to "tying your shoelaces with three-foot-long
chopsticks" while watching it all on television.

But in recent months, Rosser, who also goes by the nickname Butch, has
been emphasizing a comparison he believes is more apt: video gaming.

[more]
5 answers Last reply
More about article makes good surgeon video games
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    Has anyone else had problems installing Jack the Ripper, from The
    Adventure Company, on Win 98SE?

    Wwhen I tried it went ok until it asked for disk 2, at which point I
    just got a message asking me to put a disk in the drive, while the
    drive just spun the disk endlessly.

    Since then it also fails to recognise disk 1 and, disconcertingly,
    many other CD's that previously worked fine. Uninstalling he game has
    not solved the CD recognition problem. Some disks it reads and some
    disks it just spins endlessly and wont read.

    I've been following some of the discussion about copy protection
    software and do wonder if that is the problem here. Starforce maybe?
    Does anyone know about this game?

    The loss of my CD drive is very aggravating and I hope the only
    solution isnt to wipe and reinstall Win98.

    Geoff
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    I'm sorry, not to mention a doofus....I meant to post this as a new
    message, not a reply.

    Geoff

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:32:46 -0600, Pennyroyal <nospam@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone else had problems installing Jack the Ripper, from The
    >Adventure Company, on Win 98SE?
    >
    >Wwhen I tried it went ok until it asked for disk 2, at which point I
    >just got a message asking me to put a disk in the drive, while the
    >drive just spun the disk endlessly.
    >
    >Since then it also fails to recognise disk 1 and, disconcertingly,
    >many other CD's that previously worked fine. Uninstalling he game has
    >not solved the CD recognition problem. Some disks it reads and some
    >disks it just spins endlessly and wont read.
    >
    >I've been following some of the discussion about copy protection
    >software and do wonder if that is the problem here. Starforce maybe?
    >Does anyone know about this game?
    >
    >The loss of my CD drive is very aggravating and I hope the only
    >solution isnt to wipe and reinstall Win98.
    >
    >Geoff
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Pennyroyal" <nospam@nospam.invalid> schreef in bericht
    > I'm sorry, not to mention a doofus....I meant to post this as a new
    > message, not a reply.
    >
    > Geoff
    >
    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:32:46 -0600, Pennyroyal <nospam@nospam.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone else had problems installing Jack the Ripper, from The
    > >Adventure Company, on Win 98SE?
    > >
    > >Wwhen I tried it went ok until it asked for disk 2, at which point I
    > >just got a message asking me to put a disk in the drive, while the
    > >drive just spun the disk endlessly.
    > >
    > >Since then it also fails to recognise disk 1 and, disconcertingly,
    > >many other CD's that previously worked fine. Uninstalling he game has
    > >not solved the CD recognition problem. Some disks it reads and some
    > >disks it just spins endlessly and wont read.
    > >
    > >I've been following some of the discussion about copy protection
    > >software and do wonder if that is the problem here. Starforce maybe?
    > >Does anyone know about this game?
    > >
    > >The loss of my CD drive is very aggravating and I hope the only
    > >solution isnt to wipe and reinstall Win98.
    > >
    > >Geoff

    I had about the same problem with the install of The Black Mirror [Starforce
    copy protection]. It would not install using a DVD-Rom drive or DVD writer,
    because somebody at Easy Computing told me that DVD-drives can't read a CD
    "deep" enough. I bought a plain CD-Rom player and then everything went well
    [got no refund from Easy Computing though ;-) ]. I read that you use a CD
    drive already so i'm not sure if this reply does any good to your problem.
    Thought to mention it anyway.
    Greetings, E-Cie.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    E-Cie wrote in news:d080sv$eer$1@reader13.wxs.nl:

    > I had about the same problem with the install of The Black Mirror
    > [Starforce copy protection]. It would not install using a DVD-Rom
    > drive or DVD writer, because somebody at Easy Computing told me
    > that DVD-drives can't read a CD "deep" enough. I bought a plain
    > CD-Rom player and then everything went well [got no refund from
    > Easy Computing though ;-) ]. I read that you use a CD drive
    > already so i'm not sure if this reply does any good to your
    > problem. Thought to mention it anyway.
    > Greetings, E-Cie.

    Hmm. I had planned to only get a single DVD-burner for my next computer
    instead of my current setup with one DVD-reader and one CD-burner.
    Maybe I should reconsider. Or maybe I should get serious about shunning
    anything with StarForce involved. I have enough unplayed games to keep
    me busy, so I don't *have* to buy the games from companies that wants
    to give me that kind of trouble. (Or I suppose there's the option to
    start searching the pirate sites and then buy a box to never open if
    they put it on really good games that should not be missed.)

    Rikard
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

    "Rikard Peterson" <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> schreef in bericht
    > E-Cie wrote in news:d080sv$eer$1@reader13.wxs.nl:
    >
    > > I had about the same problem with the install of The Black Mirror
    > > [Starforce copy protection]. It would not install using a DVD-Rom
    > > drive or DVD writer, because somebody at Easy Computing told me
    > > that DVD-drives can't read a CD "deep" enough. I bought a plain
    > > CD-Rom player and then everything went well [got no refund from
    > > Easy Computing though ;-) ]. I read that you use a CD drive
    > > already so i'm not sure if this reply does any good to your
    > > problem. Thought to mention it anyway.
    > > Greetings, E-Cie.
    >
    > Hmm. I had planned to only get a single DVD-burner for my next computer
    > instead of my current setup with one DVD-reader and one CD-burner.
    > Maybe I should reconsider. Or maybe I should get serious about shunning
    > anything with StarForce involved. I have enough unplayed games to keep
    > me busy, so I don't *have* to buy the games from companies that wants
    > to give me that kind of trouble. (Or I suppose there's the option to
    > start searching the pirate sites and then buy a box to never open if
    > they put it on really good games that should not be missed.)
    >
    > Rikard

    "Or maybe I should get serious about shunning
    anything with StarForce involved."

    That may well be the cheapest option. ;-))
    E-Cie.

PC gaming Video Games Games IBM