ratchet

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I've booted my XP desktop and then remoted it with Teamviewer from a laptop or Splashtop from an HP TouchPad. My desktop is now a 64 bit Windows 7 and it's driving me crazy. I can wake it on the home LAN but not from anywhere else. Windows 7 firewall was the worst. It wouldn't leave Splashtop even remote. Then I tried ZoneAlarm free but it only worked on the home LAN. Now I'm using Comodo free with the same disappointing results. I don't know where to turn! Any ideas appreciated!

Where is anywhere else, you mean the internet?

Just beware, remote WOL requires access to something called the broadcast address of your local network, and for security reasons, most routers don't allow that broadcast across your router's WAN and into the local network. There are workarounds, but most involve third party firmware (e.g., dd-wrt, tomato), which I use myself.

ratchet

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Yes, I use Tomato with a special script. As I stated, I've been doing this for several years from my children's homes when visiting. Seems as though it is something about my new build or W7.

ratchet

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I actually do have Splashtop functioning with the Firewall enabled. Previously I did discover that St would work with the firewall disabled. I haven't tried to WOL with it disabled though. Hate to keep running down to McDonalds (free WiFi) or the library! lol

Yes, the website sends the magic packet to your router (or anywhere else you’d like). With that particular website, you can even schedule it for a future date/time. I trigger remote WOL in several ways, and this is one of them.