Tom Dowd and the Language of Music

Last response: in Home Audio
August 13, 2004 1:47:48 PM

Was wondering if anyone in the audio community had seen this film and
how it went over. It looks like a fitting tribute to a great man.
Comments?
Thanks,
sc
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 1:53:52 PM

I haven't seen it, but it got a so-so review in the Seattle P-I as being not
particularly insightful.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 3:07:53 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:53:52 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
<williams@nwlink.com> wrote:

>I haven't seen it, but it got a so-so review in the Seattle P-I as being not
>particularly insightful.

See it and you'll understand just how wrong that reviewer was. I
thought it was great.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
August 13, 2004 8:24:13 PM

strangecharm wrote:

> Was wondering if anyone in the audio community had seen this film and
> how it went over. It looks like a fitting tribute to a great man.

Saw it last year on the Sundance Channel. Wonderful!

What struck me most is how much Tom seemed to enjoy his work. And the
music was some of our favorite stuff of all time.

I've been waiting for the DVD, which debuts Tuesday, according to
another poster.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 10:27:43 PM

In article <10hpsk78p7ad1c3@corp.supernews.com> williams@nwlink.com writes:

> I haven't seen it, but it got a so-so review in the Seattle P-I as being not
> particularly insightful.

It got a pretty good writeup (two, actually) in Friday's Washington
Post. I can't figure out where it's playing around here though. Not a
regular theater.

August 13, 2004 10:41:00 PM

>See it and you'll understand just how wrong that reviewer was. I
>thought it was great.

It opens in San Francisco today at the Roxie and the DVD is either out now or
Tuesday. I think for the audio community this film is pretty much review
proof. One thing I didn't know was that he was involved in the Bikini A bomb
tests.
Phil Brown
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 11:42:24 PM

By the way - I saw this and it was great, but once again I ask - has
anyone else ever seen the documentary, "The making of Sgt Peppers"
with George Martin. I have it on video, but I haven't watched it in
years, and I have yet to meet anyone else who has seen it. All I can
remember is that I saw it was on cable on day, put the VCR on record,
and I still have the tape.

FWIW - Go to Fry's Electronics and check out their huge selection of
concert & music Cds - there are hundreds of them available. I have a
Clapton one with a Layla Duo with Duane that is outstanding.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 12:54:11 AM

"strangecharm" <udsctb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Was wondering if anyone in the audio community had seen this film and
> how it went over. It looks like a fitting tribute to a great man.
> Comments?
> Thanks,
> sc

It was astounding.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:45:24 AM

Don Cooper wrote:

> strangecharm wrote:
>

>>Was wondering if anyone in the audio community had seen this film and
>>how it went over. It looks like a fitting tribute to a great man.
>

> Saw it last year on the Sundance Channel. Wonderful!
>
> What struck me most is how much Tom seemed to enjoy his work. And the
> music was some of our favorite stuff of all time.
>
> I've been waiting for the DVD, which debuts Tuesday, according to
> another poster.

Amazon says the DVD will be available 8/24.

John Noll
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:45:25 AM

John Noll wrote:

> Amazon says the DVD will be available 8/24.

Thanks. I'll get it ASAP.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 5:55:56 PM

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in message news:<znr1092423261k@trad>...
> In article <10hpsk78p7ad1c3@corp.supernews.com> williams@nwlink.com writes:
>
> > I haven't seen it, but it got a so-so review in the Seattle P-I as being not
> > particularly insightful.
>
> It got a pretty good writeup (two, actually) in Friday's Washington
> Post. I can't figure out where it's playing around here though. Not a
> regular theater.

It's playing at Visions in Dupont Circle.
--sc (also of dc)
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 9:19:05 PM

editor@cruisemates.com (Paul Motter) news:a7144799.0408131842.42c6baa4
@posting.google.com:

> By the way - I saw this and it was great, but once again I ask - has
> anyone else ever seen the documentary, "The making of Sgt Peppers"
> with George Martin. I have it on video, but I haven't watched it in
> years, and I have yet to meet anyone else who has seen it. All I can
> remember is that I saw it was on cable on day, put the VCR on record,
> and I still have the tape.

Yes, I have that video and thought it was great!

david
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 11:42:19 AM

In article <978db824.0408161255.7e6e493@posting.google.com> udsctb@hotmail.com writes:

> > I can't figure out where it's playing around here though. Not a
> > regular theater.
>
> It's playing at Visions in Dupont Circle.

As I said, not a regular theater. I found the Vision web site and it
shows its location. But maybe this is the excuse I need to buy a DVD
player. It's cheaper than going into DC to see a movie. <g>

August 17, 2004 1:19:14 PM

In article <znr1092691768k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

>In article <978db824.0408161255.7e6e493@posting.google.com> udsctb@hotmail.com writes:
>
>> > I can't figure out where it's playing around here though. Not a
>> > regular theater.
>>
>> It's playing at Visions in Dupont Circle.
>
>As I said, not a regular theater. I found the Vision web site and it
>shows its location. But maybe this is the excuse I need to buy a DVD
>player. It's cheaper than going into DC to see a movie. <g>

Visions is pretty regular. But if you wait long enough, it will probably
make it to the AFI.
--scott

August 18, 2004 12:30:39 PM

In article <a7144799.0408131842.42c6baa4@posting.google.com>,
editor@cruisemates.com (Paul Motter) wrote:

> By the way - I saw this and it was great, but once again I ask - has
> anyone else ever seen the documentary, "The making of Sgt Peppers"
> with George Martin. I have it on video, but I haven't watched it in
> years, and I have yet to meet anyone else who has seen it. All I can
> remember is that I saw it was on cable on day, put the VCR on record,
> and I still have the tape.

[snip]

I have "The Making of Sergeant Pepper's" on VHS and show it to my recording
class every year. It's still relevent and each year the class seems suitably
impressed.

-Jay
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 1:03:25 AM

In article <cft0ki$8rt$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:

> Visions is pretty regular. But if you wait long enough, it will probably
> make it to the AFI.

What's the best $29 DVD player? Maybe it's time to get one.

August 19, 2004 1:14:52 AM

In article <znr1092868524k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>In article <cft0ki$8rt$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:
>
>> Visions is pretty regular. But if you wait long enough, it will probably
>> make it to the AFI.
>
>What's the best $29 DVD player? Maybe it's time to get one.

Don't ask me, I haven't got a TV set yet. I'm waiting for them to get
perfected.
--scott

August 19, 2004 1:14:53 AM

On 18 Aug 2004 21:14:52 -0400, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>In article <znr1092868524k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>>In article <cft0ki$8rt$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:
>>
>>> Visions is pretty regular. But if you wait long enough, it will probably
>>> make it to the AFI.
>>
>>What's the best $29 DVD player? Maybe it's time to get one.
>
>Don't ask me, I haven't got a TV set yet.

No wonder you have so much time to look at the computer screen then..!
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 5:24:49 AM

Paul Motter wrote:

> By the way - I saw this and it was great, but once again I ask - has
> anyone else ever seen the documentary, "The making of Sgt Peppers"
> with George Martin.

Yes. In fact, when Dowd put up the faders on "Layla" in this
documentary, it reminded me of Martin in that "Sgt. Pepper" special.

> FWIW - Go to Fry's Electronics and check out their huge selection of
> concert & music Cds - there are hundreds of them available. I have a
> Clapton one with a Layla Duo with Duane that is outstanding.

The "Layla" album?
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 5:26:42 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> >What's the best $29 DVD player? Maybe it's time to get one.
>
> Don't ask me, I haven't got a TV set yet. I'm waiting for them to get
> perfected.

"I'm waiting for 3D-TV".
- Ralph Kramden
!