Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Half Life2 Wins six Bafta awards.

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • IBM
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 2, 2005 2:56:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Well deserved too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm

More about : half life2 wins bafta awards

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:50:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Schrodinger wrote:

> How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
CS-Source -
> which should hardly be classed as new!

Deathmatch?
March 2, 2005 11:41:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Paul" <pgchapman3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:hYqdnXZ7cJBY7LjfRVn-hA@comcast.com...
> Well deserved too.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm
>
>
>

How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean CS-Source -
which should hardly be classed as new!
March 2, 2005 5:43:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1109757006.432235.251350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> Schrodinger wrote:
>
>> How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
> CS-Source -
>> which should hardly be classed as new!
>
> Deathmatch?

I thought about that, but how could that possible have won - it is a tired
format and not as good as the HL1 DM imo.

I should think that UT2004 or that new one from the makers of delta force
would have been better contenders for online?

Come to think of it, not counting mods, what were the good online games
released last year?
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:41:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Well done Valve on picking up yet more awards for the astounding HL2.

It is a title that will be played and talked about for years to come,
very well deserved.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:59:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> once tried to test me with:

>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm
>
> How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
> CS-Source - which should hardly be classed as new!

Must have completely ignored all the other fine online PC games that came
out this year that were actually something worth talking about.

--

Knight37

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:14:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Knight37 wrote:
> "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>
>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm
>>
>>How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
>>CS-Source - which should hardly be classed as new!
>
>
> Must have completely ignored all the other fine online PC games that came
> out this year that were actually something worth talking about.
>

"Best online game" = "Most played online game", for which CS:S would
certainly win.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:49:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, GFree wrote:

> "Best online game" = "Most played online game", for which CS:S would
> certainly win.

Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;) ...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
March 3, 2005 1:49:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:49:16 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
>a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;) ...

HL2 related online mods are probably the most played of the games
released in the last year, which is the period the BAFTA's cover. I
wouldn't necessarily put HL2 as the winner in that category myself,
but if you play the numbers game then it deserves to be very high on
the list.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:49:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:49:16 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:


>Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
>a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;) ...

How would Gamespy know that anyway? Has Gamespy ever done stats for
Novalogic games? No. I, for one, never use anything that uses
Gamespyjunkshitcrapola.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:59:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Schrodinger wrote:

> "Paul" <pgchapman3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:hYqdnXZ7cJBY7LjfRVn-hA@comcast.com...
> > Well deserved too.
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm
>
> How can it have won "best online game"?

Presumably they mean Steam ;) ...

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:49:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Andrew wrote:

> wouldn't necessarily put HL2 as the winner in that category myself,
> but if you play the numbers game then it deserves to be very high on

Playing such a numbers game, does HL2 belong high on any award rating if
it sells well? Maybe this _is_ the background of most of the awards ;) .

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
March 3, 2005 4:49:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:49:27 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Playing such a numbers game, does HL2 belong high on any award rating if
>it sells well? Maybe this _is_ the background of most of the awards ;) .

Raw sales figures don't indicate quality as the Deer Hunter games
prove, but amount of online players indicates the longevity and
quality of a title. Either way, HL2 single player was easily GOTY IMO.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:28:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Andrew wrote:

> quality of a title. Either way, HL2 single player was easily GOTY IMO.

I agree (even with all it's flaws), but still it is strange that HL2 wins
the online award as well, for the reiteration of a years old mod not done
by Valve in the first place. Not much improved or completed all the same!

--
Werner Spahl (spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for
"The meaning of my life is to make me crazy" Vorlonships
March 3, 2005 10:43:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
news:70od21du9ghfs5cgvqo4b4oleug7fnmiqh@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:49:16 +0100, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
>
>>Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
>>a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;) ...
>
> How would Gamespy know that anyway? Has Gamespy ever done stats for
> Novalogic games? No. I, for one, never use anything that uses
> Gamespyjunkshitcrapola.

If you use Gamespy - the original on, not the POS that is Gamespy Arcade -
this works very like ASE and was a pretty decent games server browser IIRC.
Don't know if it's still going, though. I would expect their figures will
therefore not be based on games with Gamespy technology in them, just
publicly accessible server lists.
!