Half Life2 Wins six Bafta awards.

Schrodinger wrote:

> How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
CS-Source -
> which should hardly be classed as new!

Deathmatch?

schrodinger

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Schrodinger wrote:
>
>> How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
> CS-Source -
>> which should hardly be classed as new!
>
> Deathmatch?

I thought about that, but how could that possible have won - it is a tired
format and not as good as the HL1 DM imo.

I should think that UT2004 or that new one from the makers of delta force
would have been better contenders for online?

Come to think of it, not counting mods, what were the good online games
released last year?

Well done Valve on picking up yet more awards for the astounding HL2.

It is a title that will be played and talked about for years to come,
very well deserved.

"Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> once tried to test me with:

> How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
> CS-Source - which should hardly be classed as new!

Must have completely ignored all the other fine online PC games that came
out this year that were actually something worth talking about.

--

Knight37

Knight37 wrote:
> "Schrodinger" <no@1way.com> once tried to test me with:
>

>>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm
>>
>>How can it have won "best online game"? Presumably, they mean
>>CS-Source - which should hardly be classed as new!
>

> Must have completely ignored all the other fine online PC games that came
> out this year that were actually something worth talking about.

"Best online game" = "Most played online game", for which CS:S would
certainly win.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, GFree wrote:

> "Best online game" = "Most played online game", for which CS:S would
> certainly win.

Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;)...

Andrew

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:49:16 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
>a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;)...

HL2 related online mods are probably the most played of the games
released in the last year, which is the period the BAFTA's cover. I
wouldn't necessarily put HL2 as the winner in that category myself,
but if you play the numbers game then it deserves to be very high on
the list.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:49:16 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
>a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;)...

How would Gamespy know that anyway? Has Gamespy ever done stats for
Novalogic games? No. I, for one, never use anything that uses
Gamespyjunkshitcrapola.

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Schrodinger wrote:

> "Paul" <pgchapman3@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Well deserved too.
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4308315.stm
>
> How can it have won "best online game"?

Presumably they mean Steam ;)...

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Andrew wrote:

> wouldn't necessarily put HL2 as the winner in that category myself,
> but if you play the numbers game then it deserves to be very high on

Playing such a numbers game, does HL2 belong high on any award rating if
it sells well? Maybe this _is_ the background of most of the awards ;).

Andrew

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:49:27 +0100, Werner Spahl
<spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:

>Playing such a numbers game, does HL2 belong high on any award rating if
>it sells well? Maybe this _is_ the background of most of the awards ;).

Raw sales figures don't indicate quality as the Deer Hunter games
prove, but amount of online players indicates the longevity and
quality of a title. Either way, HL2 single player was easily GOTY IMO.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Andrew wrote:

> quality of a title. Either way, HL2 single player was easily GOTY IMO.

I agree (even with all it's flaws), but still it is strange that HL2 wins
the online award as well, for the reiteration of a years old mod not done
by Valve in the first place. Not much improved or completed all the same!

schrodinger

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:49:16 +0100, Werner Spahl
> <spahl@cup.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>

>>Hmmm, but according to the Gamespy live stats this would be CS classic, by
>>a long shot. Seems to be another case of senseless HL2 hyping to me ;)...
>
> How would Gamespy know that anyway? Has Gamespy ever done stats for
> Novalogic games? No. I, for one, never use anything that uses
> Gamespyjunkshitcrapola.

If you use Gamespy - the original on, not the POS that is Gamespy Arcade -
this works very like ASE and was a pretty decent games server browser IIRC.
Don't know if it's still going, though. I would expect their figures will
therefore not be based on games with Gamespy technology in them, just
publicly accessible server lists.