So, what have you been playing in February?

Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
flames, if you please.

Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.

Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
games that continue to please?

Me?

I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)
61 answers Last reply
More about playing february

    Chadwick wrote:
    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?
    >
    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    SWAT 4 demo -managed 95 points on Hard difficultly but couldn't hit 100
    JDoom -Pe4m_all.wad
    ZDoom 2 -all of the KBoom and KHills levels
    Crusader: No Regret
    Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis -using ScummVM

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: xtc - making plans for nigel.mp3

    www.pdxshows.net

    On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >flames, if you please.
    >
    >Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    >gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    >Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    >past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    >online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    >be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    >games that continue to please?
    >
    >Me?
    >
    >I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    >Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    >just rediscovered (4 wins a row!) --
    (on easy I my stats on Spider Solitaire are : 244 wins/85 losses/Most
    wins 7/most losses 3. High of 1201)

    Multiplayer FarCry mostly. Due to the early framerate issues when this
    game first came out I didn't even bother to try online thinking it was
    going to be a choppy mess. Couple of weeks ago I discovered that its
    not like that at all and quite awesome. Offical servers in West Coast
    for me are at 15 PING!!! And I'm running over 70 fps on HIGH settings
    ONLINE. Its like shooting apples in a barrel.. they have no chance.

    I also have been playing "BreakQuest" which is a little Indie game
    that won an award recently. http://www.nurium.com/index.php

    Pluvious

    Day of Defeat. Always Day of Defeat. Perfect mix of action, strategy,
    and teamwork.

    UT2004 (mostly CTF and vCTF)

    Worms 3D (I'd never played any worms game before, really enjoying it.)

    wrote:

    >Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    >gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.

    The bulk of my gaming has been the SWAT 4 demo, I have played it to
    death! I love it when a demo of a game that I wasn't expecting arrives
    and gets me hooked. Been playing CS:S and UT2004 as well.

    /me drums fingers waiting for the BIA demo.

    I'm playing Evil Genius. And every once in a while, I dabble in some single
    player maps for HL2. Go here for some... http://www.levels4you.com/

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?
    >
    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    Some HL2,
    Riddick - I'm not realy liking the hand combat against armed guards, I'm
    having to replay things over and over to much.
    FlatOut,
    Burnout3,
    Farcry,
    And I always go back to the Max Payne games.

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?
    >
    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    Zax: The Alien Hunter
    Final Fantasy VII
    Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
    Metroid (NES emulated)
    Hello Kitty World (NES emulated)

    stePH
    --
    If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
    We are the chick. The world is our egg.

    Chadwick wrote:
    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.

    Neverwinter Nights.

    Andrew wrote:

    > On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    >>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >

    > The bulk of my gaming has been the SWAT 4 demo, I have played it to
    > death! I love it when a demo of a game that I wasn't expecting arrives
    > and gets me hooked. Been playing CS:S and UT2004 as well.

    SWAT 4 demo is one of the finest demos I've played in months. It looks
    brilliant, sounds very professional and makes me feel like one in the
    team and captures the essence of police work better than any other game
    before it.

    Almost finished replaying TRON 2.0 (best...environment...ever). Go Monolith!

    Over halfway done replaying Far Cry. Trying new tactics and enjoying the
    "\save_game" feature these days.

    Three-quarters of the way done replaying Thief: The Dark Project. Just got
    Garrett's eye plucked out.

    Somewhere in the middle of replaying Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. Just
    a fun game (and better than the first one, IMO).

    Will be playing the Painkiller: BOOH expansion and possibly Half-Life 2 by
    summer. Doom III is waiting in the wings for my new X800.

    - f_f

    On 2 Mar 2005 10:38:16 -0800, "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Worms 3D (I'd never played any worms game before, really enjoying it.)

    I have only played the Worms 3D demo, but I have to say that is one
    franchise that shouldn't have gone 3D, Worms Armageddon is much more
    fun IMO.

    Chadwick wrote:
    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?
    >
    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    CS:S - a lot (against bots only so far - finding out what all the fuss
    was about - good innit?)
    Replayed Riddick with commentary
    Swat 4 demo several times - first I've played in the Swat series - has
    convinced me to buy the game
    MOH Pacific Assault - briefly - not really enjoying it but have never
    not finished a game so gritting my teeth and battling on.
    Darwinia demo - strangely attractive
    AOE II - always a favourite for dipping into when I get fed up of
    shooting things - if I did this list monthly it would always be on there
    HL2 mods - Garys Mod and Substance - only briefly - GM is good for a
    laugh and Substance is to HL2 what Evil Dead 2 was to the horror genre -
    too OTTT to be taken seriously.
    Dipped into a level or two of HL2 and D3 (have favourite levels that I
    replay occasionally)

    --
    "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
    surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?
    >
    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    Just finished replaying 'Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic & Star Wars
    Jedia Academy'. Nothing beats death gribbing a Storm Trooper, holding him
    over a cliff, and then letting go. ;)

    Now I think it's time to revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Aliens vs
    Predators 2. Aliens or Nazis? Tough call.

    wrote:

    >Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >flames, if you please.
    >
    >Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    >gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.

    DOOM3 and Final Fantasy 8 (on ePSXe).
    --
    Noman

    OldDog wrote:
    > "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >>flames, if you please.
    >>
    >>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    >>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >>
    >>Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    >>past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    >>online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    >>be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    >>games that continue to please?
    >>
    >>Me?
    >>
    >>I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    >>Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    >>just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)
    >>

    > Just finished replaying 'Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic & Star Wars
    > Jedia Academy'. Nothing beats death gribbing a Storm Trooper, holding him
    > over a cliff, and then letting go. ;)
    >
    > Now I think it's time to revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Aliens vs
    > Predators 2. Aliens or Nazis? Tough call.

    Damn that's spooky - reloaded AVP2 back on my PC tonight. RTCW was one
    of the ones I'd considered (along with COD).

    --

    wrote:

    >Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >flames, if you please.

    Just conole games at the moment, not much on the PC that grabs me:

    - played XBox Mercenaries ... good for one level, then got boring and
    stupid
    - gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
    play without a "retry mission" option
    - beat XBox Mech Assault 2 in about 8 hours ... fun little action
    shooter but too short
    - just getting into GT4 on the PS2. This game is massive, and gorgeous
    (still has the same old AI flaw, but that's not stopping it from being
    fun)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >flames, if you please.
    >
    >Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    >gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    >Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    >past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    >online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    >be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    >games that continue to please?
    >
    >Me?
    >
    >I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    >Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    >just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    Morrowind, X-Com Terror From The Deep, some IF.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:45:32 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Chadwick wrote:
    >> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >> flames, if you please.
    >
    >Neverwinter Nights.

    Similarly. In solo mode.
    Platinum Edition - did not play the original.
    Sure takes up a lot of time, if you find and play
    through all the side-quests - which I always try to do
    in this sort of game. However, great fun experimenting
    with the various character-types and skills.

    Interspersed with BF1942 multiplayer (Punkbuster
    servers ). Still addictive and great fun. I think that
    the many opportunities for open-space creative tactics
    in most of the maps,as opposed to just "bang-bang-
    you're-dead" still make this game very special.

    John Lewis

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    John Lewis wrote:

    > Similarly. In solo mode.
    > Platinum Edition - did not play the original.
    > Sure takes up a lot of time, if you find and play
    > through all the side-quests - which I always try to do
    > in this sort of game. However, great fun experimenting
    > with the various character-types and skills.

    I really like the packaging to the game. The box is shiney which is always a
    plus. It just had the large oval disc tape rather than shrink wrap around
    the box. This should be mandentory because I've always had a tough time
    removing shrink wrapped games. The game has four CD-ROMs which are held in a
    sturdy cardboard digipack. The manual is thick like a good RPG manual should
    be. I don't know if the copy protection is acceptable. I haven't installed
    the game. I don't actually play PC games. I just like to look at the boxes
    and contents. I am guessing the game play is as good as the packaging.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:31:12 GMT, Joe62
    <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

    >On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >>flames, if you please.
    >
    >Just conole games at the moment, not much on the PC that grabs me:
    >
    >- played XBox Mercenaries ... good for one level, then got boring and
    >stupid
    I used to laugh every time I saw the commercial for that game. "Blow
    stuff up. Blow up more stuff. Keep blowing stuff up." They made it
    sound like that was the ONLY feature in the game. lol

    >- gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
    >play without a "retry mission" option
    Can you ignore the missions and just cruise around exploring? I liked
    driving around in Vice City, but found the missions a pain since the
    PC version doesn't support analog controls.

    >- beat XBox Mech Assault 2 in about 8 hours ... fun little action
    >shooter but too short
    >- just getting into GT4 on the PS2. This game is massive, and gorgeous
    >(still has the same old AI flaw, but that's not stopping it from being
    >fun)

    I've been playing the Swat4 demo (very cool) and FarCry recently, but
    just reinstalled Tribes Vengance and Rome:Total War for some variety.
    Looking forward to Silent Hunter 3 in mid march. :)

    Remove nospam_ to reply by email

    Jeff H........

    Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
    He fears the truth!
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?

    Currently Playing:

    World of Warcraft
    City of Heroes
    Deus Ex 2
    Half Life 2

    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    --

    Knight37

  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Enough.

    If you recall, I asked for this to be a flameless thread. It's just
    about seeing what people are playing at the moment. It is not an
    opportunity to insult people for their choice of game.

    So...

    SayNO - quit attacking other people. If you must, do it somewhere else.
    Everyone else - don't rise to it. You know you're wasting your breath,
    so please don't let this thread become yet another running battle.

    I'm not trying to be a netcop, I just thought it would be interesting
    to have a thread like this, and a pleasant change if it stayed civil
    and interesting to read.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca> wrote:

    >>- gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
    >>play without a "retry mission" option
    >Can you ignore the missions and just cruise around exploring?

    Oh yeah, but that gets old too ... especially as the music and radio
    dialog isn't as good. Fun for a while though ... the city at first is
    intimidatingly huge, which is kind of neat.

    Joe
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    <snip>
    > > Now I think it's time to revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Aliens
    vs
    > > Predators 2. Aliens or Nazis? Tough call.
    > >

    > Damn that's spooky - reloaded AVP2 back on my PC tonight. RTCW was one
    > of the ones I'd considered (along with COD).

    This is real Spooky. Cause I was playing CoD and the addon before I went
    into Star Wars mode. ;)

    BTW I just got one of my gaming magazines. They had a big writeup, a
    pre-preview if there is such a thing, on Call of Duty 2. It could be a
    block buster this Xmas.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    OldDog wrote:
    > BTW I just got one of my gaming magazines. They had a big writeup, a
    > pre-preview if there is such a thing, on Call of Duty 2. It could be a
    > block buster this Xmas.

    CoD2: The Third Reich Strikes Back!

    Or perhaps more realistically they'll focus on the Korean War for this
    'sequel'.

    --
    best regards, mat
    np: [winamp not running]

    www.pdxshows.net
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?
    >
    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    KOTORII mainly for the last week or so.

    Desert Combat
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Well never having played the previous ones, I came in fresh.

    The control scheme takes a little getting used to but the variety of
    weapons, availability of random maps, and destructable terrain make
    this it fun for me. Plus it's got nice graphics and a good sense of
    humor.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

    <snip consolist making fun of pc games>

    you and knighter are a disgrace!
    infiltrated traitors among us

    and don't make fun of pc gamers cause we all know you are not
    one of us!

    and btw the best is the game being doubly sealed with the oval
    disc tape plus shrink wrap around, you know why? the oval tape
    for assurance the pc game has not been tampered and the shrink
    wrap around on top for the case not getting scratches from all
    the handling

    and i didn't know digipack could cary 4 cds... i thought games
    with 4 cds or came in plastic or paper sleeves (which is very
    poor packaging) or come with those good reliable double jewel
    cases
    but wouldn't mind having a 4 disk digipack in my collection
    what pc game is currently available with a 4 disk digipack?

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

    very impressive
    if you have the time i had some questions:

    > * Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
    > * Men of Valor (quit about 3/4 through; what a boring game)

    how are the cds stores in both games?
    i know they are multi disk games, both with 4 right?
    in what kind of case are the cds stores (not the game itself)

    > * SW: Republic Commando (still playing... unfortunately)

    don't say that, at least they released a pc edition!
    probably in the future even that we will not have!
    and btw, i'm confused, gamestop game page for republic commando says
    pc "plays best"
    why do they say pc "plays best"? is it cause of the resolution or
    probably the pc game version is better than xbox which at least it
    means lucas made some effort in our favorite gaming platform after
    all
    republic commando suffers from being a game thought for the xbox but
    even so the pc version is best! you must agree that even small that
    means something to us

    > Warrior, Tribes: Vengeance (just to see if it was as bad as I
    > remembered); Chrome, Mafia, Painkiller, Thief 3 (wanna check out those

    did your tribes vengeance version bring any bonus material?

    even having painkiller, will you buy the soon to be released gold/black
    editions?
    and does your painkiller version have an extra soundtrack cd audio?

    > high-res texture mods I downloaded), Unreal Tournament 2004 (mostly to

    its unanimous, ut2004 is the best game platform for mods creation
    even if you are not into arena deathmatch based fps ut2004 is a must
    just cause of mods

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:31:12 GMT, Joe62
    <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

    >On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    >>flames, if you please.
    >
    >Just conole games at the moment, not much on the PC that grabs me:
    >
    >- played XBox Mercenaries ... good for one level, then got boring and
    >stupid
    >- gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
    >play without a "retry mission" option
    >- beat XBox Mech Assault 2 in about 8 hours ... fun little action
    >shooter but too short
    >- just getting into GT4 on the PS2. This game is massive, and gorgeous
    >(still has the same old AI flaw, but that's not stopping it from being
    >fun)

    Be sure to check out Stranger.. fun romp.

    Pluvious
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
    > flames, if you please.
    >
    > Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    > gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    > Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    > past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    > online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    > be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    > games that continue to please?
    >
    > Me?
    >
    > I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
    > Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
    > just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

    For those playing through Far Cry for a second or third time should really
    try out the High Dynamic Range option that comes with the 3.0 patch. Set all
    graphic detail to very high which will enable the 3.0 path, bring down the
    console and type r_hdrrendering x, where x is a number between 1-11. Seven
    gives a good effect, or three for a lesser framerate hit. AA must be
    desabled and it needs a geforce 6600/6800 gfx card and probably a cpu in the
    range of 3ghz to be playable.

    For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should try
    out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the first
    time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
    Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
    this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
    game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.

    ---
    Ketil R. Hansen
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Hi,

    Ketil Rolland Hansen <fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:
    #For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should try
    #out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the first
    #time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
    #Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
    #this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
    #game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.

    Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
    wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
    disk space on a gaming PC. One of the reasons I buy games for the PC is
    so I can use more realistic analog controllers, and not be just another
    console button thumbjammer.

    Just my opinion.

    Ken.
    Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
    WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:15:26 GMT, kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net (Ken Marsh)
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Ketil Rolland Hansen <fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:
    >#For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should try
    >#out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the first
    >#time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
    >#Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
    >#this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
    >#game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.
    >
    >Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
    >wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
    >disk space on a gaming PC. One of the reasons I buy games for the PC is
    >so I can use more realistic analog controllers, and not be just another
    >console button thumbjammer.

    There's a demo out for Richard Burns Rally. If you have ever liked a
    PC driving game in the past, you should at least check out this demo.
    It has amazing car handling, excellent rendering and sound engine and
    when it comes to conveying the 'road feel' to the game, it has the
    most successful implementation of any driving game on any platform.
    It's also very unforgiving, considering it's a simulation and the
    driving requires a lot of restraint and well timed decisions.

    I consider RBR to be one of the best PC games that came out in last 20
    years.
    --
    Noman
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Ken Marsh" wrote
    > Hi,

    > Ketil Rolland Hansen wrote:

    > #For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should
    > try
    > #out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the
    > first
    > #time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
    > #Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
    > #this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
    > #game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.

    > Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
    > wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
    > disk space on a gaming PC.

    They all do.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    sayNO2steam wrote:

    Chadwick asked what games people were playing this month. Seems you have not
    played any please leave this thread. Your insults are not wanted.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Ketil Rolland Hansen <fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:
    > #For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should
    > try
    > #out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the
    > first
    > #time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
    > #Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
    > #this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
    > #game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.
    >
    > Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
    > wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
    > disk space on a gaming PC. One of the reasons I buy games for the PC is
    > so I can use more realistic analog controllers, and not be just another
    > console button thumbjammer.

    As I said it was it was to my surprise. I originally bought it to play games
    like FIFA 2005, NFSU and the like, but thought I should try it out in more
    "serious" games too. From that I've come to the conclusion that the gamepad
    is greatly underestimated as a gaming device. Let's not forget that the
    input from a gamepad, steering wheel or joystick is exactly the same, it's
    only a matter of how you want your body to translate that input. A
    wheel/pedal setup gives better control, but you will also need good
    co-ordination between different parts of your body. A gamepad is the
    complete opposite; both axes is controlled by a little part of your body;
    the thumb. It gives less control, but also makes it easier to co-ordinate
    movement. At least in my opinion.

    And of course I'm getting a bit tired of looking up the wheel from under the
    table, plugging in the pedal and power cable and loading up the wheel driver
    software. It's so much easier just taking my cordless Wingman gamepad with
    no cables or stuff and loading up a game. This gamepad is also quite large
    so it's not just for the kids. Only remember to rest it on the table while
    playing, this gives in my opinion much better control over the thumbstick.

    ---
    Ketil R. Hansen
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:15:04 +0100, "Ketil Rolland Hansen"
    <fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:

    >As I said it was it was to my surprise. I originally bought it to play games
    >like FIFA 2005, NFSU and the like, but thought I should try it out in more
    >"serious" games too. From that I've come to the conclusion that the gamepad
    >is greatly underestimated as a gaming device. Let's not forget that the
    >input from a gamepad, steering wheel or joystick is exactly the same, it's
    >only a matter of how you want your body to translate that input. A
    >wheel/pedal setup gives better control, but you will also need good
    >co-ordination between different parts of your body. A gamepad is the
    >complete opposite; both axes is controlled by a little part of your body;
    >the thumb. It gives less control, but also makes it easier to co-ordinate
    >movement. At least in my opinion.

    I use a gamepad for sports games and arcade racing games, but for more
    realistic driving games a decent wheel is far preferable. I couldn't
    imagine safely driving a real car with a gamepad.
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Vader des Vaderlands" <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote in message
    > OldDog wrote:
    > > BTW I just got one of my gaming magazines. They had a big writeup, a
    > > pre-preview if there is such a thing, on Call of Duty 2. It could be a
    > > block buster this Xmas.
    >
    > CoD2: The Third Reich Strikes Back!
    >
    > Or perhaps more realistically they'll focus on the Korean War for this
    > 'sequel'.

    CoD 2 is more of WWII. The writeup in PCGamer states that the missions are
    no longer linear. Now the gamer doesn't have to go to A, B, and then C.
    The battlefield is wide open. You can do a frontal assault or flank the
    enemy.

    The developers motto is bigga, badda, betta.

    It would be interesting to see them also tackle: Korea, Nam, Gulf War 1,
    Somalia , Afghanistan, Gulf War 2. Oh, and the Wild West.
  39. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > > * SW: Republic Commando (still playing... unfortunately)
    >
    > don't say that, at least they released a pc edition!
    > probably in the future even that we will not have!
    > and btw, i'm confused, gamestop game page for republic commando says
    > pc "plays best"
    > why do they say pc "plays best"? is it cause of the resolution or
    > probably the pc game version is better than xbox which at least it
    > means lucas made some effort in our favorite gaming platform after
    > all

    Probably because it's easier to play most FPS type game with mouse and
    keyboard. With XBox, you have to use the game controller. I tried
    playing Medal of Honor on my PS2 with the standard game controller. It
    wasn't pretty.
  40. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:58:54 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
    <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> Similarly. In solo mode.
    >> Platinum Edition - did not play the original.
    >> Sure takes up a lot of time, if you find and play
    >> through all the side-quests - which I always try to do
    >> in this sort of game. However, great fun experimenting
    >> with the various character-types and skills.
    >
    >I really like the packaging to the game. The box is shiney which is always a
    >plus. It just had the large oval disc tape rather than shrink wrap around
    >the box. This should be mandentory because I've always had a tough time
    >removing shrink wrapped games. The game has four CD-ROMs which are held in a
    >sturdy cardboard digipack.

    Or the DVD- version which just has one in the usual CD-style
    package...

    >The manual is thick like a good RPG manual should
    >be. I don't know if the copy protection is acceptable. I haven't installed
    >the game. I don't actually play PC games.

    Pity, you must like squinting at a fuzzy, flickering screen. Aren't
    you now bored with all those console-dumbed shooters/run 'n jump
    and sports-games ? Don't your thumbs get cramped ? And the
    text is specially designed and sized for far-sighted folk who have
    forgotten their reading glasses. Wouldn't want to include too much
    information on one screen anyway - might rupture brain-cells.

    John Lewis

    > I just like to look at the boxes
    >and contents. I am guessing the game play is as good as the packaging.

  41. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in

    [Worms]

    > Well never having played the previous ones, I came in fresh.
    >
    > The control scheme takes a little getting used to but the variety of
    > weapons, availability of random maps, and destructable terrain make
    > this it fun for me. Plus it's got nice graphics and a good sense of
    > humor.

    I believe that random maps, destructible terrain, sense of humor and a
    buttload of different weapons were all features of the previous 2D
    versions as well.

    stePH
    --
    If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
    We are the chick. The world is our egg.
    If we cannot break the world's shell, we will die without being born.
    Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
  42. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
    >gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
    >
    >Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
    >past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
    >online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
    >be true ;))? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
    >games that continue to please?

    I'm probably skewing statistics, since I've just recently did a re-install
    within the past month. But:

    -Freedom Force
    -Klondike Solitaire
    -Metaball (UT2004 mod)
    -LBreakout
    -Minesweeper
    -Rise of the Triad (tested WinRott's bot support)
    -Spider Solitare
    -SuperTux (cheap plastic imitation of a Mario clone)
    -System Shock
    -Team Fortress Classic.
    -Unreal Tournament 2004
    -Worms Armageddon

    This is just the list of games played - it doesn't show how much I've
    played them.
  43. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

    > playing Medal of Honor on my PS2 with the standard game controller.

    what?
    oh no... you also?
    you also have a console?
    its an epidemic in this group!
    am i the only true FAITHFUL pc gamer left in this group!!!!

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

  44. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Jeff Holinski wrote:

    most of valve employees are ex-microsoft
    valve is also from washington state like microsoft
    valve has monopolistic tendencies like microsoft
    i'm not pro microsoft! i wanted choice in the os market for pc games!
    one of my nightmares is valve being bought by microsoft and steam would
    be included in windows... that is currently my worth nightmare and i
    feel unfortunately it can be made a reality for all bad of us gamers
    i fear microsoft like i fear valve
    i'm not so vocal about microsoft cause i feel there is little we can
    now do about in... sad but true... and i'm only trying to not let the
    same happen with valve

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam

    against steam campaign
    http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

    steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
    http://www.steamwatch.org/

  45. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in

    > -Team Fortress Classic.

    I haven't played this in a long time, but it's something I'd like to go
    back to. Do I need STEAM to play it these days?

    No flamewars please; it's a yes-or-no question ... and diFool, you're in
    my scorefile so don't even bother.

    stePH
    --
    If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
    We are the chick. The world is our egg.
    If we cannot break the world's shell, we will die without being born.
    Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
  46. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    > On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
    >
    > > playing Medal of Honor on my PS2 with the standard game controller.
    >
    > what?
    > oh no... you also?
    > you also have a console?
    > its an epidemic in this group!
    > am i the only true FAITHFUL pc gamer left in this group!!!!

    I have several systems. My daughter enjoys the GameCube the most. :) As
    for me, the PS2 beats the PC hands down.

    No WinXP
    no anti-virus to run
    no pop-ups (unless the game supports it)
    no malware
    no firewall to run
    no tweaking needed
    no worries that the CD won't load cause disk protection

    Wow! The more that I think about it, the PC has no pros. It just has
    Steam.
  47. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On 4 Mar 2005 15:45:58 GMT, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in
    >
    >> -Team Fortress Classic.
    >
    >I haven't played this in a long time, but it's something I'd like to go
    >back to. Do I need STEAM to play it these days?

    TFC does require Steam, but it's not the only option. You can use the
    Quake version if you need to. I'm not sure if there is online coverage for
    that game, but it's available.

    I'd recommend the new version - it has better graphics and has enough signs
    to allow players to know where they are going. (Some user maps, on the
    other hand, get a little confusing.)
  48. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:29:30 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

    >Wow! The more that I think about it, the PC has no pros. It just has
    >Steam.

    ....decent resolutions, FSAA, keyboard&mouse control, a hard disk,
    upgradeability, intelligent games, cheaper software....
  49. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

    >>Wow! The more that I think about it, the PC has no pros. It just has
    >>Steam.
    >
    >...decent resolutions, FSAA, keyboard&mouse control, a hard disk,
    >upgradeability, intelligent games, cheaper software....

    You know, I don't know for sure, but I suspect olddog is yanking
    difools chain.

PC gaming Games Video Games