So, what have you been playing in February?

Last response: in Video Games
March 2, 2005 7:17:25 AM

Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
flames, if you please.

Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.

Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
games that continue to please?

Me?

I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

More about : playing february

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:30:01 AM

Chadwick wrote:
> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?
>
> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

SWAT 4 demo -managed 95 points on Hard difficultly but couldn't hit 100
JDoom -Pe4m_all.wad
ZDoom 2 -all of the KBoom and KHills levels
Crusader: No Regret
Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis -using ScummVM

--
best regards, mat
np: xtc - making plans for nigel.mp3

www.pdxshows.net
March 2, 2005 1:30:17 PM

On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>flames, if you please.
>
>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
>Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
>past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
>online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
>be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
>games that continue to please?
>
>Me?
>
>I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
>Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
>just rediscovered (4 wins a row!) --
(on easy I my stats on Spider Solitaire are : 244 wins/85 losses/Most
wins 7/most losses 3. High of 1201)

Multiplayer FarCry mostly. Due to the early framerate issues when this
game first came out I didn't even bother to try online thinking it was
going to be a choppy mess. Couple of weeks ago I discovered that its
not like that at all and quite awesome. Offical servers in West Coast
for me are at 15 PING!!! And I'm running over 70 fps on HIGH settings
ONLINE. Its like shooting apples in a barrel.. they have no chance.

I also have been playing "BreakQuest" which is a little Indie game
that won an award recently. http://www.nurium.com/index.php

Pluvious
March 2, 2005 1:38:16 PM

Day of Defeat. Always Day of Defeat. Perfect mix of action, strategy,
and teamwork.

UT2004 (mostly CTF and vCTF)

Worms 3D (I'd never played any worms game before, really enjoying it.)
March 2, 2005 4:27:17 PM

wrote:

>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.

The bulk of my gaming has been the SWAT 4 demo, I have played it to
death! I love it when a demo of a game that I wasn't expecting arrives
and gets me hooked. Been playing CS:S and UT2004 as well.

/me drums fingers waiting for the BIA demo.
March 2, 2005 4:47:42 PM

I'm playing Evil Genius. And every once in a while, I dabble in some single
player maps for HL2. Go here for some... http://www.levels4you.com/

news:D ffb211omrv564g3laadd8glaaqrp06iic@4ax.com...
> On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> The bulk of my gaming has been the SWAT 4 demo, I have played it to
> death! I love it when a demo of a game that I wasn't expecting arrives
> and gets me hooked. Been playing CS:S and UT2004 as well.
>
> /me drums fingers waiting for the BIA demo.
March 2, 2005 5:25:54 PM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?
>
> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

Some HL2,
Riddick - I'm not realy liking the hand combat against armed guards, I'm
having to replay things over and over to much.
FlatOut,
Burnout3,
Farcry,
And I always go back to the Max Payne games.
March 2, 2005 5:47:13 PM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?
>
> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

Zax: The Alien Hunter
Final Fantasy VII
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
Metroid (NES emulated)
Hello Kitty World (NES emulated)

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.

Chadwick wrote:
> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.

Neverwinter Nights.
March 2, 2005 6:55:37 PM

Andrew wrote:

> On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>

> The bulk of my gaming has been the SWAT 4 demo, I have played it to
> death! I love it when a demo of a game that I wasn't expecting arrives
> and gets me hooked. Been playing CS:S and UT2004 as well.

SWAT 4 demo is one of the finest demos I've played in months. It looks
brilliant, sounds very professional and makes me feel like one in the
team and captures the essence of police work better than any other game
before it.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:32:21 PM

Almost finished replaying TRON 2.0 (best...environment...ever). Go Monolith!

Over halfway done replaying Far Cry. Trying new tactics and enjoying the
"\save_game" feature these days.

Three-quarters of the way done replaying Thief: The Dark Project. Just got
Garrett's eye plucked out.

Somewhere in the middle of replaying Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. Just
a fun game (and better than the first one, IMO).

Will be playing the Painkiller: BOOH expansion and possibly Half-Life 2 by
summer. Doom III is waiting in the wings for my new X800.

- f_f
March 2, 2005 9:57:14 PM

On 2 Mar 2005 10:38:16 -0800, "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Worms 3D (I'd never played any worms game before, really enjoying it.)

I have only played the Worms 3D demo, but I have to say that is one
franchise that shouldn't have gone 3D, Worms Armageddon is much more
fun IMO.
March 2, 2005 10:18:43 PM

Chadwick wrote:
> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?
>
> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

CS:S - a lot (against bots only so far - finding out what all the fuss
was about - good innit?)
Replayed Riddick with commentary
Swat 4 demo several times - first I've played in the Swat series - has
convinced me to buy the game
MOH Pacific Assault - briefly - not really enjoying it but have never
not finished a game so gritting my teeth and battling on.
Darwinia demo - strangely attractive
AOE II - always a favourite for dipping into when I get fed up of
shooting things - if I did this list monthly it would always be on there
HL2 mods - Garys Mod and Substance - only briefly - GM is good for a
laugh and Substance is to HL2 what Evil Dead 2 was to the horror genre -
too OTTT to be taken seriously.
Dipped into a level or two of HL2 and D3 (have favourite levels that I
replay occasionally)

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?
>
> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

Just finished replaying 'Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic & Star Wars
Jedia Academy'. Nothing beats death gribbing a Storm Trooper, holding him
over a cliff, and then letting go. ;)

Now I think it's time to revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Aliens vs
Predators 2. Aliens or Nazis? Tough call.
March 3, 2005 2:06:19 AM

wrote:

>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>flames, if you please.
>
>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.

DOOM3 and Final Fantasy 8 (on ePSXe).
--
Noman
March 3, 2005 2:14:06 AM

OldDog wrote:
> "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>>flames, if you please.
>>
>>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>>
>>Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
>>past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
>>online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
>>be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
>>games that continue to please?
>>
>>Me?
>>
>>I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
>>Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
>>just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)
>>

> Just finished replaying 'Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic & Star Wars
> Jedia Academy'. Nothing beats death gribbing a Storm Trooper, holding him
> over a cliff, and then letting go. ;)
>
> Now I think it's time to revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Aliens vs
> Predators 2. Aliens or Nazis? Tough call.

Damn that's spooky - reloaded AVP2 back on my PC tonight. RTCW was one
of the ones I'd considered (along with COD).

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are
fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are
fear, and surprise, and the ruthless efficiency...and an almost
fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Amongst our weapons...are fear,
surprise, ruth... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear...
I'll come in again"
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:31:12 AM

wrote:

>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>flames, if you please.

Just conole games at the moment, not much on the PC that grabs me:

- played XBox Mercenaries ... good for one level, then got boring and
stupid
- gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
play without a "retry mission" option
- beat XBox Mech Assault 2 in about 8 hours ... fun little action
shooter but too short
- just getting into GT4 on the PS2. This game is massive, and gorgeous
(still has the same old AI flaw, but that's not stopping it from being
fun)
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:56:03 AM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>flames, if you please.
>
>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
>Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
>past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
>online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
>be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
>games that continue to please?
>
>Me?
>
>I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
>Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
>just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

Morrowind, X-Com Terror From The Deep, some IF.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:58:04 AM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:45:32 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>Chadwick wrote:
>> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>> flames, if you please.
>
>Neverwinter Nights.

Similarly. In solo mode.
Platinum Edition - did not play the original.
Sure takes up a lot of time, if you find and play
through all the side-quests - which I always try to do
in this sort of game. However, great fun experimenting
with the various character-types and skills.

Interspersed with BF1942 multiplayer (Punkbuster
servers ). Still addictive and great fun. I think that
the many opportunities for open-space creative tactics
in most of the maps,as opposed to just "bang-bang-
you're-dead" still make this game very special.

John Lewis

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:58:05 AM

John Lewis wrote:

> Similarly. In solo mode.
> Platinum Edition - did not play the original.
> Sure takes up a lot of time, if you find and play
> through all the side-quests - which I always try to do
> in this sort of game. However, great fun experimenting
> with the various character-types and skills.

I really like the packaging to the game. The box is shiney which is always a
plus. It just had the large oval disc tape rather than shrink wrap around
the box. This should be mandentory because I've always had a tough time
removing shrink wrapped games. The game has four CD-ROMs which are held in a
sturdy cardboard digipack. The manual is thick like a good RPG manual should
be. I don't know if the copy protection is acceptable. I haven't installed
the game. I don't actually play PC games. I just like to look at the boxes
and contents. I am guessing the game play is as good as the packaging.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:56:38 AM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:31:12 GMT, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>>flames, if you please.
>
>Just conole games at the moment, not much on the PC that grabs me:
>
>- played XBox Mercenaries ... good for one level, then got boring and
>stupid
I used to laugh every time I saw the commercial for that game. "Blow
stuff up. Blow up more stuff. Keep blowing stuff up." They made it
sound like that was the ONLY feature in the game. lol

>- gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
>play without a "retry mission" option
Can you ignore the missions and just cruise around exploring? I liked
driving around in Vice City, but found the missions a pain since the
PC version doesn't support analog controls.

>- beat XBox Mech Assault 2 in about 8 hours ... fun little action
>shooter but too short
>- just getting into GT4 on the PS2. This game is massive, and gorgeous
>(still has the same old AI flaw, but that's not stopping it from being
>fun)

I've been playing the Swat4 demo (very cool) and FarCry recently, but
just reinstalled Tribes Vengance and Rome:Total War for some variety.
Looking forward to Silent Hunter 3 in mid march. :)

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
He fears the truth!
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:02:23 AM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?

Currently Playing:

World of Warcraft
City of Heroes
Deus Ex 2
Half Life 2

> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

--

Knight37

March 3, 2005 6:06:36 AM

Enough.

If you recall, I asked for this to be a flameless thread. It's just
about seeing what people are playing at the moment. It is not an
opportunity to insult people for their choice of game.

So...

SayNO - quit attacking other people. If you must, do it somewhere else.
Everyone else - don't rise to it. You know you're wasting your breath,
so please don't let this thread become yet another running battle.

I'm not trying to be a netcop, I just thought it would be interesting
to have a thread like this, and a pleasant change if it stayed civil
and interesting to read.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:16:49 AM

Jeff Holinski <Holinski@shaw.ca> wrote:

>>- gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
>>play without a "retry mission" option
>Can you ignore the missions and just cruise around exploring?

Oh yeah, but that gets old too ... especially as the music and radio
dialog isn't as good. Fun for a while though ... the city at first is
intimidatingly huge, which is kind of neat.

Joe
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 7:44:23 AM

<snip>
> > Now I think it's time to revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstien or Aliens
vs
> > Predators 2. Aliens or Nazis? Tough call.
> >

> Damn that's spooky - reloaded AVP2 back on my PC tonight. RTCW was one
> of the ones I'd considered (along with COD).

This is real Spooky. Cause I was playing CoD and the addon before I went
into Star Wars mode. ;)

BTW I just got one of my gaming magazines. They had a big writeup, a
pre-preview if there is such a thing, on Call of Duty 2. It could be a
block buster this Xmas.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 7:44:24 AM

OldDog wrote:
> BTW I just got one of my gaming magazines. They had a big writeup, a
> pre-preview if there is such a thing, on Call of Duty 2. It could be a
> block buster this Xmas.

CoD2: The Third Reich Strikes Back!

Or perhaps more realistically they'll focus on the Korean War for this
'sequel'.

--
best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
March 3, 2005 9:32:27 AM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?
>
> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

KOTORII mainly for the last week or so.

Desert Combat
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:04:51 AM

Well never having played the previous ones, I came in fresh.

The control scheme takes a little getting used to but the variety of
weapons, availability of random maps, and destructable terrain make
this it fun for me. Plus it's got nice graphics and a good sense of
humor.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 1:04:51 PM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

<snip consolist making fun of pc games>

you and knighter are a disgrace!
infiltrated traitors among us

and don't make fun of pc gamers cause we all know you are not
one of us!

and btw the best is the game being doubly sealed with the oval
disc tape plus shrink wrap around, you know why? the oval tape
for assurance the pc game has not been tampered and the shrink
wrap around on top for the case not getting scratches from all
the handling

and i didn't know digipack could cary 4 cds... i thought games
with 4 cds or came in plastic or paper sleeves (which is very
poor packaging) or come with those good reliable double jewel
cases
but wouldn't mind having a 4 disk digipack in my collection
what pc game is currently available with a 4 disk digipack?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 3, 2005 1:04:59 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

very impressive
if you have the time i had some questions:

> * Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault
> * Men of Valor (quit about 3/4 through; what a boring game)

how are the cds stores in both games?
i know they are multi disk games, both with 4 right?
in what kind of case are the cds stores (not the game itself)

> * SW: Republic Commando (still playing... unfortunately)

don't say that, at least they released a pc edition!
probably in the future even that we will not have!
and btw, i'm confused, gamestop game page for republic commando says
pc "plays best"
why do they say pc "plays best"? is it cause of the resolution or
probably the pc game version is better than xbox which at least it
means lucas made some effort in our favorite gaming platform after
all
republic commando suffers from being a game thought for the xbox but
even so the pc version is best! you must agree that even small that
means something to us

> Warrior, Tribes: Vengeance (just to see if it was as bad as I
> remembered); Chrome, Mafia, Painkiller, Thief 3 (wanna check out those

did your tribes vengeance version bring any bonus material?

even having painkiller, will you buy the soon to be released gold/black
editions?
and does your painkiller version have an extra soundtrack cd audio?

> high-res texture mods I downloaded), Unreal Tournament 2004 (mostly to

its unanimous, ut2004 is the best game platform for mods creation
even if you are not into arena deathmatch based fps ut2004 is a must
just cause of mods

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 3, 2005 1:22:14 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:31:12 GMT, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
>>flames, if you please.
>
>Just conole games at the moment, not much on the PC that grabs me:
>
>- played XBox Mercenaries ... good for one level, then got boring and
>stupid
>- gave up on GTA SA after beating the first area ... too annoying to
>play without a "retry mission" option
>- beat XBox Mech Assault 2 in about 8 hours ... fun little action
>shooter but too short
>- just getting into GT4 on the PS2. This game is massive, and gorgeous
>(still has the same old AI flaw, but that's not stopping it from being
>fun)

Be sure to check out Stranger.. fun romp.

Pluvious
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:42:41 PM

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nothing to do with a similarly entitled previous thread. At all. So no
> flames, if you please.
>
> Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
> gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
> Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
> past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
> online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
> be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
> games that continue to please?
>
> Me?
>
> I'm still slogging my way through Far Cry.
> Interspersed with the occasional game of Spider Solitaire, which I have
> just rediscovered (4 wins a row!)

For those playing through Far Cry for a second or third time should really
try out the High Dynamic Range option that comes with the 3.0 patch. Set all
graphic detail to very high which will enable the 3.0 path, bring down the
console and type r_hdrrendering x, where x is a number between 1-11. Seven
gives a good effect, or three for a lesser framerate hit. AA must be
desabled and it needs a geforce 6600/6800 gfx card and probably a cpu in the
range of 3ghz to be playable.

For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should try
out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the first
time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.

---
Ketil R. Hansen
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:15:26 PM

Hi,

Ketil Rolland Hansen <fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:
#For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should try
#out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the first
#time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
#Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
#this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
#game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.

Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
disk space on a gaming PC. One of the reasons I buy games for the PC is
so I can use more realistic analog controllers, and not be just another
console button thumbjammer.

Just my opinion.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!
March 3, 2005 7:10:19 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:15:26 GMT, kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net (Ken Marsh)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Ketil Rolland Hansen <fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:
>#For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should try
>#out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the first
>#time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
>#Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
>#this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
>#game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.
>
>Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
>wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
>disk space on a gaming PC. One of the reasons I buy games for the PC is
>so I can use more realistic analog controllers, and not be just another
>console button thumbjammer.

There's a demo out for Richard Burns Rally. If you have ever liked a
PC driving game in the past, you should at least check out this demo.
It has amazing car handling, excellent rendering and sound engine and
when it comes to conveying the 'road feel' to the game, it has the
most successful implementation of any driving game on any platform.
It's also very unforgiving, considering it's a simulation and the
driving requires a lot of restraint and well timed decisions.

I consider RBR to be one of the best PC games that came out in last 20
years.
--
Noman
March 3, 2005 7:38:25 PM

"Ken Marsh" wrote
> Hi,

> Ketil Rolland Hansen wrote:

> #For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should
> try
> #out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the
> first
> #time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
> #Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
> #this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
> #game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.

> Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
> wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
> disk space on a gaming PC.

They all do.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 7:48:16 PM

sayNO2steam wrote:

Chadwick asked what games people were playing this month. Seems you have not
played any please leave this thread. Your insults are not wanted.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:15:04 PM

"Ken Marsh" <kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Ketil Rolland Hansen <fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:
> #For what games I'm playing I like driving games, so I thought I should
> try
> #out Richard Burns Rally which I found nearly impossible to master the
> first
> #time I tried it with my wheel/pedal setup. This time I tried it with a
> #Logitech cordless gamepad and to my surprise it was much easier to handle
> #this way. With graphics set to high detail it's the best looking driving
> #game I've tried and also the most realistically handling.
>
> Frankly, a driving game that drives better with a gamepad than
> wheel/pedals is better bought for a console and not allowed to take up
> disk space on a gaming PC. One of the reasons I buy games for the PC is
> so I can use more realistic analog controllers, and not be just another
> console button thumbjammer.

As I said it was it was to my surprise. I originally bought it to play games
like FIFA 2005, NFSU and the like, but thought I should try it out in more
"serious" games too. From that I've come to the conclusion that the gamepad
is greatly underestimated as a gaming device. Let's not forget that the
input from a gamepad, steering wheel or joystick is exactly the same, it's
only a matter of how you want your body to translate that input. A
wheel/pedal setup gives better control, but you will also need good
co-ordination between different parts of your body. A gamepad is the
complete opposite; both axes is controlled by a little part of your body;
the thumb. It gives less control, but also makes it easier to co-ordinate
movement. At least in my opinion.

And of course I'm getting a bit tired of looking up the wheel from under the
table, plugging in the pedal and power cable and loading up the wheel driver
software. It's so much easier just taking my cordless Wingman gamepad with
no cables or stuff and loading up a game. This gamepad is also quite large
so it's not just for the kids. Only remember to rest it on the table while
playing, this gives in my opinion much better control over the thumbstick.

---
Ketil R. Hansen
March 3, 2005 10:15:05 PM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:15:04 +0100, "Ketil Rolland Hansen"
<fjernkethanfjern@fjernbroadparkfjern.no> wrote:

>As I said it was it was to my surprise. I originally bought it to play games
>like FIFA 2005, NFSU and the like, but thought I should try it out in more
>"serious" games too. From that I've come to the conclusion that the gamepad
>is greatly underestimated as a gaming device. Let's not forget that the
>input from a gamepad, steering wheel or joystick is exactly the same, it's
>only a matter of how you want your body to translate that input. A
>wheel/pedal setup gives better control, but you will also need good
>co-ordination between different parts of your body. A gamepad is the
>complete opposite; both axes is controlled by a little part of your body;
>the thumb. It gives less control, but also makes it easier to co-ordinate
>movement. At least in my opinion.

I use a gamepad for sports games and arcade racing games, but for more
realistic driving games a decent wheel is far preferable. I couldn't
imagine safely driving a real car with a gamepad.
March 4, 2005 12:19:30 AM

"Vader des Vaderlands" <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote in message
> OldDog wrote:
> > BTW I just got one of my gaming magazines. They had a big writeup, a
> > pre-preview if there is such a thing, on Call of Duty 2. It could be a
> > block buster this Xmas.
>
> CoD2: The Third Reich Strikes Back!
>
> Or perhaps more realistically they'll focus on the Korean War for this
> 'sequel'.

CoD 2 is more of WWII. The writeup in PCGamer states that the missions are
no longer linear. Now the gamer doesn't have to go to A, B, and then C.
The battlefield is wide open. You can do a frontal assault or flank the
enemy.

The developers motto is bigga, badda, betta.

It would be interesting to see them also tackle: Korea, Nam, Gulf War 1,
Somalia , Afghanistan, Gulf War 2. Oh, and the Wild West.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:22:38 AM

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> > * SW: Republic Commando (still playing... unfortunately)
>
> don't say that, at least they released a pc edition!
> probably in the future even that we will not have!
> and btw, i'm confused, gamestop game page for republic commando says
> pc "plays best"
> why do they say pc "plays best"? is it cause of the resolution or
> probably the pc game version is better than xbox which at least it
> means lucas made some effort in our favorite gaming platform after
> all

Probably because it's easier to play most FPS type game with mouse and
keyboard. With XBox, you have to use the game controller. I tried
playing Medal of Honor on my PS2 with the standard game controller. It
wasn't pretty.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:26:48 AM

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 20:58:54 -0700, "Hank the Rapper"
<xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> Similarly. In solo mode.
>> Platinum Edition - did not play the original.
>> Sure takes up a lot of time, if you find and play
>> through all the side-quests - which I always try to do
>> in this sort of game. However, great fun experimenting
>> with the various character-types and skills.
>
>I really like the packaging to the game. The box is shiney which is always a
>plus. It just had the large oval disc tape rather than shrink wrap around
>the box. This should be mandentory because I've always had a tough time
>removing shrink wrapped games. The game has four CD-ROMs which are held in a
>sturdy cardboard digipack.

Or the DVD- version which just has one in the usual CD-style
package...

>The manual is thick like a good RPG manual should
>be. I don't know if the copy protection is acceptable. I haven't installed
>the game. I don't actually play PC games.

Pity, you must like squinting at a fuzzy, flickering screen. Aren't
you now bored with all those console-dumbed shooters/run 'n jump
and sports-games ? Don't your thumbs get cramped ? And the
text is specially designed and sized for far-sighted folk who have
forgotten their reading glasses. Wouldn't want to include too much
information on one screen anyway - might rupture brain-cells.

John Lewis

> I just like to look at the boxes
>and contents. I am guessing the game play is as good as the packaging.

March 4, 2005 12:59:26 AM

"Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in

[Worms]

> Well never having played the previous ones, I came in fresh.
>
> The control scheme takes a little getting used to but the variety of
> weapons, availability of random maps, and destructable terrain make
> this it fun for me. Plus it's got nice graphics and a good sense of
> humor.

I believe that random maps, destructible terrain, sense of humor and a
buttload of different weapons were all features of the previous 2D
versions as well.

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.
If we cannot break the world's shell, we will die without being born.
Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 1:58:10 AM

On 2 Mar 2005 04:17:25 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Think of this thread as thermometer, measuring the temperature of the
>gaming waters. What's hot, and what's not.
>
>Let's see what the people on this NG have turned their mice to over the
>past few weeks. Are we still playing HL2? Are we playing HL2 mods
>online? Are there any other new games out there (incredible, but it may
>be true ;) )? Or are we taking refuge in the classics, the trusty old
>games that continue to please?

I'm probably skewing statistics, since I've just recently did a re-install
within the past month. But:

-Freedom Force
-Klondike Solitaire
-Metaball (UT2004 mod)
-LBreakout
-Minesweeper
-Rise of the Triad (tested WinRott's bot support)
-Spider Solitare
-SuperTux (cheap plastic imitation of a Mario clone)
-System Shock
-Team Fortress Classic.
-Unreal Tournament 2004
-Worms Armageddon

This is just the list of games played - it doesn't show how much I've
played them.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:55:51 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> playing Medal of Honor on my PS2 with the standard game controller.

what?
oh no... you also?
you also have a console?
its an epidemic in this group!
am i the only true FAITHFUL pc gamer left in this group!!!!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 4, 2005 12:56:01 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, Jeff Holinski wrote:

most of valve employees are ex-microsoft
valve is also from washington state like microsoft
valve has monopolistic tendencies like microsoft
i'm not pro microsoft! i wanted choice in the os market for pc games!
one of my nightmares is valve being bought by microsoft and steam would
be included in windows... that is currently my worth nightmare and i
feel unfortunately it can be made a reality for all bad of us gamers
i fear microsoft like i fear valve
i'm not so vocal about microsoft cause i feel there is little we can
now do about in... sad but true... and i'm only trying to not let the
same happen with valve

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 4, 2005 6:45:58 PM

bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in

> -Team Fortress Classic.

I haven't played this in a long time, but it's something I'd like to go
back to. Do I need STEAM to play it these days?

No flamewars please; it's a yes-or-no question ... and diFool, you're in
my scorefile so don't even bother.

stePH
--
If it cannot break the egg's shell, a chick will die without being born.
We are the chick. The world is our egg.
If we cannot break the world's shell, we will die without being born.
Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:29:30 AM

> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> > playing Medal of Honor on my PS2 with the standard game controller.
>
> what?
> oh no... you also?
> you also have a console?
> its an epidemic in this group!
> am i the only true FAITHFUL pc gamer left in this group!!!!

I have several systems. My daughter enjoys the GameCube the most. :)  As
for me, the PS2 beats the PC hands down.

No WinXP
no anti-virus to run
no pop-ups (unless the game supports it)
no malware
no firewall to run
no tweaking needed
no worries that the CD won't load cause disk protection

Wow! The more that I think about it, the PC has no pros. It just has
Steam.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:52:24 AM

On 4 Mar 2005 15:45:58 GMT, stePH <acetheta@earthlink.net> wrote:

>bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote in
>
>> -Team Fortress Classic.
>
>I haven't played this in a long time, but it's something I'd like to go
>back to. Do I need STEAM to play it these days?

TFC does require Steam, but it's not the only option. You can use the
Quake version if you need to. I'm not sure if there is online coverage for
that game, but it's available.

I'd recommend the new version - it has better graphics and has enough signs
to allow players to know where they are going. (Some user maps, on the
other hand, get a little confusing.)
March 5, 2005 2:00:18 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:29:30 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>Wow! The more that I think about it, the PC has no pros. It just has
>Steam.

....decent resolutions, FSAA, keyboard&mouse control, a hard disk,
upgradeability, intelligent games, cheaper software....
March 5, 2005 4:48:05 AM

Thusly Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> Spake Unto All:

>>Wow! The more that I think about it, the PC has no pros. It just has
>>Steam.
>
>...decent resolutions, FSAA, keyboard&mouse control, a hard disk,
>upgradeability, intelligent games, cheaper software....

You know, I don't know for sure, but I suspect olddog is yanking
difools chain.
!