hot_bobs

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Hello

I have been reading with interest about peoples views on memory and Samsung is generally praised. I am currently building a system and the final hurdle is which brand of memory to use. I am leaning towards Corsair as they claim to support CAS2.0 (without OC, which I am not keen on but may try..).

Here are my specs:

XP 1600
Abit AT7 KT333 Legacy Free
512Mb PC2700 (corsair or samsung..)
WD 80Gb JB
Coolercase Tornado (any comments about this choice?)
Enermax 450W
Taisol Heatsink
etc.

I was intending to run the memory at CAS2.0 but from what I read, the speed difference is not great from CAS2.5. From being the same price and decided CAS2.0 would be a better choice.

Also, I would like to use multiple sticks but have read stories about this not being easy. To avoid problems, is it just a matter of using registered sticks? Ideally I would be running 3x512Mb (as I can't find Gb sticks?), does this sounds like a recipe for disaster? I asked the people I mailed the company I'm buying my gear from (www.overclockers.co.uk) and they suggested Samsung.

Any help/comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
If you are not an OCing fan, here's what I suggest.
If the price of a PC2700 is significantly higher than PC2100, I suggest you get the PC2100 (Crucial, Corsair or Samsung) and run it at CL2. PC2100 is in synch with the FSB (133Mhz), any higher memory bandwidth is pretty much unnecessary because of the limiting factor of the FSB.
If the price is about the same go with the PC2700 @ CL2 if you want, but that won't do you much good.
I trust Crucial modules.
Crucial PC2700 is priced 60$ higher than PC2100.
I've got two Crucial 256Mb PC2100 @ CL2 in TwinBank configuration on an Asus A7N266-C and they kick ass.

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive only had one issue with my corsair, and it was a no brainer.

have been running my PC3200 at 166mhz on my epox board with absolute hardest mem timings. and it was ever so slightly unstable.
fixed it with a voltage jump to 2.6v and havnt had a problem since.

it was probaly cauz the mem timings are so damn aggressive (and lots of them!) on this particular motherboard.

plus the black heatspreader looks so cool!

<b>Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped! :cool: </b>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Samsung Pc2700 are much better corsair use samsung module

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.