Alternatives to JBL 2206 ?

Last response: in Home Audio
August 14, 2004 2:55:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.

A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.

JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.

Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
95dB like the JBL would be good.

Graham

More about : alternatives jbl 2206

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:55:02 AM

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>
> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
>
> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>
> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> 95dB like the JBL would be good.
>

> Graham

http://professional.celestion.com/ you might find something here of
interest
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:52:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

Try looking at a E/V DLX-12, better sounding than the 2206 anyday.

Barney Kable
bhkable@earthlink.net

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>
> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
>
> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>
> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> 95dB like the JBL would be good.
>

> Graham

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:57:48 PM

>Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>>
>> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
>> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
>>
>> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>>
>> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
>> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
>> 95dB like the JBL would be good.

For what application?
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 2:36:09 AM

Raymond wrote:

> >Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
> >>
> >> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> >> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
> >>
> >> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
> >>
> >> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> >> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> >> 95dB like the JBL would be good.
>
> For what application?

Perhaps best described as reference monitor class.

I may have unintentionally misled some ppl to think I had SR in mind.

Graham
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 4:22:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

in article 411D38B5.F8E8D0BD@hotmail.com, Pooh Bear at
rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com wrote on 8/13/04 5:55 PM:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>
> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
>
> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>
> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> 95dB like the JBL would be good.

ATC SB75-314 SC
rated 89 dB SPL @ 1W / 1M
Highly reccomended
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 5:46:06 AM

umbriaco wrote:

> in article 411D38B5.F8E8D0BD@hotmail.com, Pooh Bear at
> rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com wrote on 8/13/04 5:55 PM:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
> >
> > A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> > response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
> >
> > JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
> >
> > Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> > essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> > 95dB like the JBL would be good.
>
> ATC SB75-314 SC
> rated 89 dB SPL @ 1W / 1M
> Highly reccomended

As it happens, I had ATC in mind as a possible but it seems hard to find
data on their website.

Also found RCF's L12P300 which looks very nice - but do RCF still make
chassis units for the open market after the fiasco of their involvement with
Mackie ?

www.rcf.it seems to be currently 'under construction'.

Graham
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 8:55:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

in article 411EB24E.5312E77A@hotmail.com, Pooh Bear at
rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com wrote on 8/14/04 8:46 PM:

> umbriaco wrote:

>> ATC SB75-314 SC
>> rated 89 dB SPL @ 1W / 1M
>> Highly reccomended
>
> As it happens, I had ATC in mind as a possible but it seems hard to find
> data on their website.

Try here
http://www.atc.gb.net/drive_units/sbdrive.html
August 15, 2004 10:18:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

> Also found RCF's L12P300 which looks very nice - but do RCF
> still make chassis units for the open market after the fiasco of their
> involvement with Mackie ?

Not sure. But you can get B&C drivers which are basically the same
thing.

Check this listing from Parts Express.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Part...

Mike Borkhuis
Audio Images Sound & Lighting, Inc
www.audioimagesonline.com
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 10:41:02 AM

umbriaco wrote:

> in article 411EB24E.5312E77A@hotmail.com, Pooh Bear at
> rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com wrote on 8/14/04 8:46 PM:
>
> > umbriaco wrote:
>
> >> ATC SB75-314 SC
> >> rated 89 dB SPL @ 1W / 1M
> >> Highly reccomended
> >
> > As it happens, I had ATC in mind as a possible but it seems hard to find
> > data on their website.
>
> Try here
> http://www.atc.gb.net/drive_units/sbdrive.html

Thanks - got that.

Graham
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 10:44:02 AM

Tim Perry wrote:

> http://professional.celestion.com/ you might find something here of
> interest

Ahhh... PA / SR units

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I'm looking for reference l/s LF performance. Just the LF / low MF driver
for now !

Thanks, Graham
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 1:03:01 AM

Graham
>Perhaps best described as reference monitor class.
>
>I may have unintentionally misled some ppl to think I had SR in mind.

Most likely because that speaker (JBL 2206) is an SR/PA (live or stage)
application speaker. It's 95 dB sensitivity is going to be a tad bit high for
critical listening. JBL has a line of speakers for reference (studio) called
the Control series, take a look here.
http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/prod_r_b.htm
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 8:51:40 AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:55:01 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>
> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
>
> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>
> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not essential
> - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around 95dB like the
> JBL would be good.

IIRC P-Audio have a direct replacement at about 1/3 the price. Made in
China, a direct copy - so I heard, somewhere...
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:31:47 PM

Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Raymond wrote:
>> >Pooh Bear" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> For what application?
>
>Perhaps best described as reference monitor class.
>
>I may have unintentionally misled some ppl to think I had SR in mind.

How low does it really need to go? TAD makes some interesting stuff that
will go up surprisingly high before it falls apart.

The Radian 12" drivers might be worth looking at too although they get
a little funny up around 1 KC.
--scott

August 16, 2004 4:22:47 PM

Merlin Zener <merlin@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:55:01 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:
>
>> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>>
>> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not essential
>> - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around 95dB like the
>> JBL would be good.
>>

>IIRC P-Audio have a direct replacement at about 1/3 the price. Made in
>China, a direct copy - so I heard, somewhere...

I thought the P-Audio stuff was made in Thailand? My experience with
their stuff is that they do a reasonable design job but their manufacturing
consistency isn't so hot.
--scott
August 16, 2004 4:33:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,alt.audio.pro.live-sound (More info?)

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>
> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
>
> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>
> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> 95dB like the JBL would be good.

If you're doing studio monitors, high sensitivity should be negotiable.

http://www.adireaudio.com/

http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/w7.html
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 6:38:29 PM

Pooh Bear wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>
> A high quality driver is required with decent LF and a reasonably flat
> response up to about 800 Hz - 1 kHz.
>
> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
>
> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> 95dB like the JBL would be good.
>

> Graham

Take a look here. These guys build some excellent drivers and cabinets.

The 300W RMS model, with 99dB SPL response (1w/1m):
http://www.tr.ca/loudspeaker/loudspeakers/12mb-600.htm

The 500W RMS 12" driver can be found here:
http://www.tr.ca/loudspeaker/loudspeakers/12mb-1000.htm
August 16, 2004 9:11:27 PM

Pooh Bear wrote:

> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not
> essential - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around
> 95dB like the JBL would be good.

Maybe something from Beyma suits your needs?

http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/pdf/descarga.php?p...
http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/pdf/descarga.php?p...
http://profesional.beyma.com/ENGLISH/pdf/descarga.php?p...

Sander
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:23:22 PM

In message <411EB24E.5312E77A@hotmail.com>, Pooh Bear
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> writes

>As it happens, I had ATC in mind as a possible but it seems hard to find
>data on their website.

They have a downloadable zip file on the website, tucked away where it's
hard to find. Check at the bottom of the page at http://www.atc.gb.net/
and go to 'drive units' then 'studio bass driver units' and scroll right
to the bottom.

The pdf inside the zip has the drive parameters and physical specs, but
not much more. Anyway, hope it helps.

--
Regards,
Glenn Booth

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Merlin Zener <merlin@localhost.localdomain> wrote:
> >On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:55:01 +0100, Pooh Bear wrote:
> >
> >> JBL's 2206 looks very nice for the job but is hugely expensive.
> >>
> >> Anyone care to recommend any suitable alternatives. 600W is not essential
> >> - and sensitivity isn't critical, although something around 95dB like the
> >> JBL would be good.
> >>

> >IIRC P-Audio have a direct replacement at about 1/3 the price. Made in
> >China, a direct copy - so I heard, somewhere...
>
> I thought the P-Audio stuff was made in Thailand? My experience with
> their stuff is that they do a reasonable design job but their manufacturing
> consistency isn't so hot.

Originally Thailand but I understand they have a factory in China now ( as well
).

Had quite some experience of their products - we sell a mildly customised
version ( we modified the crossover to handle higher average powers better - not
sure if others get the benefit too ) of some of their plastic boxes here in the
UK - quite popular in fact.

I think 'pretty reasonable' would describe their product.

Graham
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 12:56:30 AM

Pooh Bear wrote:

> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.

Monacor, Beyma both come to mind, as I recall it Liquidator used
something Beyma when refitting "something old" that was born with JBL

> Graham

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

September 3, 2004 12:56:31 AM

"Peter Larsen" <SPAMSHIELD_plarsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> Pooh Bear wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.
>
> Monacor, Beyma both come to mind, as I recall it Liquidator used
> something Beyma when refitting "something old" that was born with JBL
I 've useda number of the 15lx60's with success. I think th OP was looking
for a neopprene edge though.
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 8:45:12 PM

liquidator wrote:

> "Peter Larsen" <SPAMSHIELD_plarsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message

>> Pooh Bear wrote:

>>> I'm looking for a 12" driver for a loudspeaker project.

>> Monacor, Beyma both come to mind, as I recall it Liquidator used
>> something Beyma when refitting "something old" that was born with JBL

> I 've useda number of the 15lx60's with success. I think th OP was
> looking for a neopprene edge though.

Yes, I noticed the focus on studio monitor rather than PA, again Monacor
comes to mind. From the printed catalogue some of their units are very
interesting.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen