PC Gamer Top 50 Games - Feb 2005??

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Can someone post a list of the Top 50 PC Games of all time as listed in
the Feb 2005 issue of PC Gamer?

I had the issue, but now I don't. I briefly remember some of them:

1) Half Life
2) Doom
5)? Half-Life 2
50) Freedom Force

Help! I wish I had copied this list down.

Thanks!

<jallen99@cox.net> wrote in message
> Can someone post a list of the Top 50 PC Games of all time as listed in
> the Feb 2005 issue of PC Gamer?
>
> I had the issue, but now I don't. I briefly remember some of them:
>
> 1) Half Life
> 2) Doom
3 Civ 2
4 HL 2
5 Warcraft 2 (I see a pattern here)
6 Diablo
7 StarCraft
8 X-Com
9 BattleField
10 Fallout
11 Baldur's Gate
12 GTA 3
13 Star Wars Tie Fighter
14 Ghost Recon
15 Duke Nukem 3D
16 Diablo 2 (the twos are winning)
17 Command and Conquer
18 FarCry
19 Star Wars KotOR
20 Call of Duty
21 Star Wars Jedi Dark Forces 2 (the twos are lapping everyone)
22 Rainbow 6
23 The Sims
24 EverQuest
25 Heros of Might and Magic 3
26 Quake
27 Dues Ex
28 Need for Speed Porsche
30 Unreal Tournament 2004
31 Mechwarrior 2 (the twos are now celebrating in the end zone)
32 Ultima IV (what the heck is a 4 doing in here?)
33 Total Annihilation
35 Neverwinter Nights
36 Rise of Nation
37 Tomb Raider
38 Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
39 System Shock 2 (every game should just come out with a 2 behind it)
40 IL2 Sturmovik
41 Max Payne
42 Panzer General
43 High Heat Baseball 2002
44 Master of Orion
45 Sam and Max hit the Road
46 HomeWorld
47 Worms Armageddon
48 Wing Cmdr 3
49 The Secret of Monkey Island
50 Freedom Force

Hope this helps.

On 3 Mar 2005 21:28:05 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:

>> 40 IL2 Sturmovik
>
>Umm?

Go smoke some weed and play your Doom wads. IL2 deserves to be on the
list, although it should be the sequel Forgotten Battles that should
be there and not the first issue.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:39:35 -0800, Connected
<connected@here.somewhere> wrote:

>>> 40 IL2 Sturmovik
>>
>>Umm?
>
>Go smoke some weed and play your Doom wads. IL2 deserves to be on the
>list, although it should be the sequel Forgotten Battles that should
>be there and not the first issue.

Actually, it is Forgotten Battles that made their list. The person who
posted the top 50 omitted that. And I agree - not only should IL-2:FB
have made the list, it should have landed in the top 10.

OldDog wrote:
> <jallen99@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>>Can someone post a list of the Top 50 PC Games of all time as listed in
>>the Feb 2005 issue of PC Gamer?
>>
>>I had the issue, but now I don't. I briefly remember some of them:
>>
>>1) Half Life
>>2) Doom
>
> 3 Civ 2
> 4 HL 2
> 5 Warcraft 2 (I see a pattern here)
> 6 Diablo
> 7 StarCraft
> 8 X-Com
> 9 BattleField
> 10 Fallout
> 11 Baldur's Gate
> 12 GTA 3
> 13 Star Wars Tie Fighter
> 14 Ghost Recon
> 15 Duke Nukem 3D
> 16 Diablo 2 (the twos are winning)
> 17 Command and Conquer
> 18 FarCry
> 19 Star Wars KotOR
> 20 Call of Duty
> 21 Star Wars Jedi Dark Forces 2 (the twos are lapping everyone)
> 22 Rainbow 6
> 23 The Sims
> 24 EverQuest
> 25 Heros of Might and Magic 3
> 26 Quake
> 27 Dues Ex
> 28 Need for Speed Porsche
> 30 Unreal Tournament 2004
> 31 Mechwarrior 2 (the twos are now celebrating in the end zone)
> 32 Ultima IV (what the heck is a 4 doing in here?)
> 33 Total Annihilation
> 35 Neverwinter Nights
> 36 Rise of Nation
> 37 Tomb Raider
> 38 Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
> 39 System Shock 2 (every game should just come out with a 2 behind it)
> 40 IL2 Sturmovik
> 41 Max Payne
> 42 Panzer General
> 43 High Heat Baseball 2002
> 44 Master of Orion
> 45 Sam and Max hit the Road
> 46 HomeWorld
> 47 Worms Armageddon
> 48 Wing Cmdr 3
> 49 The Secret of Monkey Island
> 50 Freedom Force
>
> Hope this helps.

A top 50 list without Morrowind? I'm sure "Beavis & Butthead in Virtual
Stupidity" is better than Morrowind. Yeah....ok....

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"ThE_AnArKrIsT" <ThE_AnArKrIsT@worldcom.net> wrote in message
<snip> >
> A top 50 list without Morrowind? I'm sure "Beavis & Butthead in Virtual
> Stupidity" is better than Morrowind. Yeah....ok....

Or just go here and use this as another top list.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc/scores/

A lot of the games from PCGamer are in the top 50; some just different
spots.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

ThE_AnArKrIsT wrote in

> A top 50 list without Morrowind? I'm sure "Beavis & Butthead in
> Virtual Stupidity" is better than Morrowind. Yeah....ok....

I notice that Grim Fandango is also missing, which is another great
oversight. Or what about the original Adventure? Or Myst? Or Tetris? I
could mention many more that deserve to be on such a list.

I don't want to claim that I'd do better putting together a list of the
top 50 games of all time. Any such attempt is guaranteed to get a lot
of critisism, but I still think that list looks strange.

Rikard
(Follow-ups set to .adventure)

On 3 Mar 2005 21:28:05 GMT, Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote:

>In article <p4LVd.34399$Qz1.15276@fe2.texas.rr.com>, OldDog wrote:
>>
>><jallen99@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Can someone post a list of the Top 50 PC Games of all time as listed in
>>> the Feb 2005 issue of PC Gamer?
>>>
>>> I had the issue, but now I don't. I briefly remember some of them:
>>>
>>> 1) Half Life
>>> 2) Doom
>> 3 Civ 2
>> 4 HL 2
>> 5 Warcraft 2 (I see a pattern here)
>> 6 Diablo
>
>Huh. Almost all the classic classics have dropped off the board,
>and a lot of successful franchises have a representative for no
>good reason. Civilization was better then Civ 2, and should have
>been in it's place.

Civ 1 isn't that great, mainly because of the ease in cheese-monkeying an
AI player to win. For example, forging a peace treaty, building a large
number of caravans, and surrounding enemy territory.

A better choice would be Alpha Centauri, but that didn't receive as much
coverage to gain any "fan votes".

[...]
>> 13 Star Wars Tie Fighter
>
>This is one of the few sequels that really was a whole lot better
>than the ones that came first.

Only because of the lack of complexity in X-Wing.

>> 14 Ghost Recon
>
>What's that?

Ghost Recon would be a spinoff of Rainbow Six, where combat takes place
over much longer distances. In a way, this makes the game easier as the
enemies don't have as great of a vision (but are still accurrate in close
quarters.)

>> 18 FarCry
>
>What's that?

FarCry is an action game released in early 2004, with beautiful graphics.
The game also managed to impress enough people and reviewers by giving an
illusion of the ability to take more than one path across an island.

>> 27 Dues Ex
>
>What's that?

Deus Ex would be one of the few FPS/RPG hybrids. It didn't get a good
start because of Daikatana, but sales picked up soon enough.

>> 35 Neverwinter Nights
>
>Wah?

Got in because it received "good enough" coverage complete with modding
ability.

>> 36 Rise of Nation
>
>Huh?

It's a strategy game, that was considered very good when it was released.
It's not as strong now, but it did make a great attempt to add something
new to the genre.

>> 37 Tomb Raider
>
>Gah?

No suprise here - it's considered "good" because the model is either a 36D
or 38D. In either case, it's in for looks.

>> 41 Max Payne
>
>Harg?

Yes, "bullet-time" is definatly a memorable feature. Impressed enough
people when it was released, .

>> 50 Freedom Force
>
>Doowah?

RPG/Strategy hybrid. Allegedly sold out (on a reasonable sized production)
when it was first released. In any case, anything similar to the character
gneration system in Gurps is good enough to attract followers.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

On 3 Mar 2005 22:31:21 GMT, Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>ThE_AnArKrIsT wrote in
>
>> A top 50 list without Morrowind? I'm sure "Beavis & Butthead in
>> Virtual Stupidity" is better than Morrowind. Yeah....ok....
>
>I notice that Grim Fandango is also missing, which is another great
>oversight. Or what about the original Adventure? Or Myst? Or Tetris? I
>could mention many more that deserve to be on such a list.

Myst wasn't really that impressive for an adventure game. Sure, it had
fancy graphics, but that was it's downfall - there was a Maze with a 10-30
second transition period for each step. There was a clue on how to proceed
through the maze, but it was still tedious when you had to travel through a
second time.

Tetris could be on the list, but it generally looks awkward to put a
"simple" game next to the many other ones. Even if Tetris is better, those
lists implicitly require the game to have mainstream elements.

>I don't want to claim that I'd do better putting together a list of the
>top 50 games of all time. Any such attempt is guaranteed to get a lot
>of critisism, but I still think that list looks strange.

I'd agree - there's no reason why Warcraft 2 should still be higher-ranked
than Starcraft, mainly because of the more primitive interface.

Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> writes:

> I notice that Grim Fandango is also missing, which is another great
> oversight. Or what about the original Adventure? Or Myst? Or Tetris? I
> could mention many more that deserve to be on such a list.

I think there's a tendency, not just in games, to have current titles
show up in the "top" lists that are based on fan votes or popularity.
Partly it's because those are still fresh in people's minds, but
also because there are a lot of people who firmly believe that newer
is better.

Gene Siskel was on the radio today regarding his book about great
movies, and one of his judgements about what makes a movie great is
whether you would feel bad if you could never see a certain movie ever
again. The same could be true for computer games. I wouldn't shed
a tear if I never played KOTOR again, but I'd be disappointed if I
could never manage to get Grim Fandango or Planescape to work in the
future.

--
Darin Johnson
"Look here. There's a crop circle in my ficus!" -- The Tick

Darin Johnson wrote:

> Gene Siskel was on the radio today..

Gene Siskel's been dead for five years. You must mean Roger Ebert.

Hank the Rapper wrote:
> Darin Johnson wrote:
>

>>Gene Siskel was on the radio today..
>

> Gene Siskel's been dead for five years. You must mean Roger Ebert.

Maybe he's hearing...voices. ;-)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:44:12 GMT, Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net>
wrote:

>Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>> I notice that Grim Fandango is also missing, which is another great
>> oversight. Or what about the original Adventure? Or Myst? Or Tetris? I
>> could mention many more that deserve to be on such a list.
>
>I think there's a tendency, not just in games, to have current titles
>show up in the "top" lists that are based on fan votes or popularity.
>Partly it's because those are still fresh in people's minds, but
>also because there are a lot of people who firmly believe that newer
>is better.
>
>Gene Siskel was on the radio today regarding his book about great
>movies, and one of his judgements about what makes a movie great is
>whether you would feel bad if you could never see a certain movie ever
>again. The same could be true for computer games. I wouldn't shed
>a tear if I never played KOTOR again, but I'd be disappointed if I
>could never manage to get Grim Fandango or Planescape to work in the
>future.

A truly excellent way of assessing the priorities in one's own game
collection when needing to prune it... and the associated hardware
(PC, console etc ). For example, I have kept quite a few classic
Amiga games but I also still have a couple of machines that will
run them.... an A500 and A1200 do not take up much space at all.

John Lewis

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in news:p4LVd.34399$Qz1.15276
@fe2.texas.rr.com:

> <jallen99@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Can someone post a list of the Top 50 PC Games of all time as listed in
>> the Feb 2005 issue of PC Gamer?
>>
>> I had the issue, but now I don't. I briefly remember some of them:
>>
>> 1) Half Life
>> 2) Doom
> 3 Civ 2
> 4 HL 2

HL 2 should be on top of "most over-hyped, overrated game of all time".
It looks good, the physics are impressing but how boooooring that game was!
It reminds me of ancient text adventure games where you have solve some
contrived puzzles to progress.

Seymour C. Moore wrote:
> "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in news:p4LVd.34399$Qz1.15276
> @fe2.texas.rr.com:
>

>><jallen99@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Can someone post a list of the Top 50 PC Games of all time as listed in
>>>the Feb 2005 issue of PC Gamer?
>>>
>>>I had the issue, but now I don't. I briefly remember some of them:
>>>
>>>1) Half Life
>>>2) Doom
>>
>>3 Civ 2
>>4 HL 2
>

> HL 2 should be on top of "most over-hyped, overrated game of all time".
> It looks good, the physics are impressing but how boooooring that game was!
> It reminds me of ancient text adventure games where you have solve some
> contrived puzzles to progress.

You keep saying this same thing all the time, but that doesn't make it
so, you know. ;)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Great! Thanks, OldDog.

I should have known the list would start a controversy though. My bad.

OldDog wrote:
> <jallen99@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Can someone post a list of the Top 50 PC Games of all time as
listed in
> > the Feb 2005 issue of PC Gamer?
> >
> > I had the issue, but now I don't. I briefly remember some of them:
> >
> > 1) Half Life
> > 2) Doom
> 3 Civ 2
> 4 HL 2
> 5 Warcraft 2 (I see a pattern here)
> 6 Diablo
> 7 StarCraft
> 8 X-Com
> 9 BattleField
> 10 Fallout
> 11 Baldur's Gate
> 12 GTA 3
> 13 Star Wars Tie Fighter
> 14 Ghost Recon
> 15 Duke Nukem 3D
> 16 Diablo 2 (the twos are winning)
> 17 Command and Conquer
> 18 FarCry
> 19 Star Wars KotOR
> 20 Call of Duty
> 21 Star Wars Jedi Dark Forces 2 (the twos are lapping everyone)
> 22 Rainbow 6
> 23 The Sims
> 24 EverQuest
> 25 Heros of Might and Magic 3
> 26 Quake
> 27 Dues Ex
> 28 Need for Speed Porsche
> 30 Unreal Tournament 2004
> 31 Mechwarrior 2 (the twos are now celebrating in the end zone)
> 32 Ultima IV (what the heck is a 4 doing in here?)
> 33 Total Annihilation
> 35 Neverwinter Nights
> 36 Rise of Nation
> 37 Tomb Raider
> 38 Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
> 39 System Shock 2 (every game should just come out with a 2 behind
it)
> 40 IL2 Sturmovik
> 41 Max Payne
> 42 Panzer General
> 43 High Heat Baseball 2002
> 44 Master of Orion
> 45 Sam and Max hit the Road
> 46 HomeWorld
> 47 Worms Armageddon
> 48 Wing Cmdr 3
> 49 The Secret of Monkey Island
> 50 Freedom Force
>
> Hope this helps.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005, "Seymour C. Moore" wrote:

agree
sometimes i feel there must be a conspiracy plan from the gaming
industry to make valve and steam succeed, cause it ain't normal
what is happening

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

Raymond Martineau wrote:

> >> 27 Dues Ex
> >
> > What's that?
>
> Deus Ex would be one of the few FPS/RPG hybrids. It didn't get a good
> start because of Daikatana, but sales picked up soon enough.

Yeah, thanks to DaiKatana, DX's sales really picked up. (As soon as people
realized what DaiKatana really is/was)

"Aaaaah yourself!.....Uh, oh-o!"
-Serious 'Second Encounter' Sam-

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>ThE_AnArKrIsT wrote in
>
>> A top 50 list without Morrowind? I'm sure "Beavis & Butthead in
>> Virtual Stupidity" is better than Morrowind. Yeah....ok....
>
>I notice that Grim Fandango is also missing, which is another great
>oversight. Or what about the original Adventure? Or Myst? Or Tetris? I
>could mention many more that deserve to be on such a list.
>
>I don't want to claim that I'd do better putting together a list of the
>top 50 games of all time. Any such attempt is guaranteed to get a lot
>of critisism, but I still think that list looks strange.

Tetris isn't that great. Neither is Adventure.

Bateau wrote in news:4guf21t0kgi8rjqv1h88mvqcsbnm762v61@4ax.com:

> Rikard Peterson <trumgottist@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> I notice that Grim Fandango is also missing, which is another
>> great oversight. Or what about the original Adventure? Or Myst? Or
>> Tetris? I could mention many more that deserve to be on such a
>> list.
>
> Tetris isn't that great. Neither is Adventure.

I mentioned Adventure mainly beacuse of its impact on later games.
That's a reason as good as any to include a game on a list of "top 50
games ever".

And Tetris is extremely simple, but it also works and can be very
addictive, even this many years after its creation. Will, say, NFS
Porsche (no 28 on the list) even be remembered in 20 years?

But as I said I believe that it's impossible to create a list that
everyone could agree with. Just look at the discussions in this
group. Even though it's much calmer now than at the times of the
Great Myst Division, I don't think we could agree on a list with the
top adventure games. How are you even going to compare Adventure,
Half Life, Grim Fandango and Worms to each other? The easiest way
would be to go by personal taste - I prefer Grim over Half Life, so
it's clearly a better game - but then you'd also get wildly diverging
results from different people.

Rikard

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

>> Gene Siskel was on the radio today..
>
> Gene Siskel's been dead for five years. You must mean Roger Ebert.

The fat one, not the bald one. Or he could mean the sidekick w/hair,
Roeper.

rms

nostromo

Thus spake ThE_AnArKrIsT <ThE_AnArKrIsT@worldcom.net>, Thu, 03 Mar 2005
21:58:54 GMT, Anno Domini:

>A top 50 list without Morrowind? I'm sure "Beavis & Butthead in Virtual
>Stupidity" is better than Morrowind. Yeah....ok....

Have you played it? I reckon it probably is if it has real NPCs, a storyline
& encourages you to actually finish the game ;-p

I agree, it took me a while to hunt down an orginial copy but it was
worth it. I hate Beavis and Butthead but that game was very impressive,
gamewise and comedywise. Its definitly up there with the monkey island
series.

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> writes:

> > Gene Siskel was on the radio today..
>
> Gene Siskel's been dead for five years. You must mean Roger Ebert.

That explains the static I was hearing.

--
Darin Johnson
"Floyd here now!"