ATA100 upgrade from ATA33 - noticable difference?

campbellcopeland

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
I have just purchased an IBM Deskstar 120GXP 80 Gig drive as part of my latest upgrade (waiting for it to be delivered). I currently have a 4 gig Maxtor drive, ata33.

I know there are still some issues with the IBM drives, but my question is more general. How much of a difference will I notice from the ata33 drive to the new ata100 (using an MSI nForce board with ata100 controller)?

I assume that startup times for loading Windows 2000 should be reduced as well as all disk access? Really just looking for info on what to expect as far as performance improvemnts go.

Campbell...

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
its not solid state preformence, but youll notice it very much so, but keep in mind w2k will take 2-3 min to boot no matter what (unless your loading perl scripts)

Itll be like drving a new car

-tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hahaha

the change from ata33 to ata100 by itself wouldnt make terribly much difference, allthough for long loads it would be slower (that is if you put both drives on the ata33 controller)

but the drives themselves are manifestly different

one is old, has a low data density, low spin speed, most likely 5400rpm, small onboard cache, probably 512kb or so....

then you compare that to your new drive... which spins some 25% faster, has over 30 times HIGHER data density per square inch, and a cache size at least 4 times greater, not to mention the firmware optimisations.
THAT is where the real advantages lie.

it will feel VERY VERY fast indeed.
(for the first week or so LOL)

<b>Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped! :cool: </b>