Gaming and Steam

Last response: in Video Games
March 4, 2005 1:09:03 AM

Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
lastest PCGamer magazine.

At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
to play.

This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

More about : gaming steam

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 1:09:04 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:09:03 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
>lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
>At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
>to play.

And cars will fly too.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 1:09:04 AM

Well. Old Dog, I just happened to find out that the nursing home where my
mother-in-law is currently in residence has Wi-Fi and DSL for the residents.
You can look forward to your "golden years."

--
DaveW

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
> connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

Related resources
March 4, 2005 1:25:58 AM

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
> connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:10:07 AM

OldDog wrote:
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

Steam is NOT a hot topic anymore. It was a while back, but people dealt
with it and got on with their lives.

Difool's is probably the only person who still thinks its important
enough to annoy us with.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 2:10:08 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:10:07 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

>Steam is NOT a hot topic anymore. It was a while back, but people dealt
>with it and got on with their lives.
>
>Difool's is probably the only person who still thinks its important
>enough to annoy us with.

Lots of people didn't buy the game because of Steam. Lots.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 3:49:32 AM

The *real* Nos wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 23:10:07 GMT, GFree <nickt4001@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
>

>>Steam is NOT a hot topic anymore. It was a while back, but people dealt
>>with it and got on with their lives.
>>
>>Difool's is probably the only person who still thinks its important
>>enough to annoy us with.
>

> Lots of people didn't buy the game because of Steam. Lots.

Their loss I guess.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 9:32:01 AM

Sounds good. But if I don't start to change my ways, my wife will probably
just take me out to the woods one of these days and shoot me. ;)

> Well. Old Dog, I just happened to find out that the nursing home where my
> mother-in-law is currently in residence has Wi-Fi and DSL for the
residents.
> You can look forward to your "golden years."
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> > Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> > lastest PCGamer magazine.
> >
> > At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree
that
> > eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
> > connection
> > to play.
> >
> > This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

March 4, 2005 10:21:44 AM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:58 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
>paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
>Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
>This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
>this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
>anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

When all emails (and increasing amounts of other traffic) in the
developed world are scanned by the security forces, the concept of
having a user ID to log on and play a game is pretty minor in
comparison IMO.
March 4, 2005 10:31:21 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:09:03 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
>lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
>At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
>to play.
>
>This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

Yeah, and Bill Clinton also said in the 90s that every household in
America will have a very high speed optic fiber Internet connection by
the year 2000.

It doesn't cost much to make such claims.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 11:56:08 AM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:58 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
>> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
>> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>>
>> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
>> connection
>> to play.
>>
>> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)
>>

>You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
>paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
>Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
>This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
>this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
>anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

Really ? Single-player games ?

He is either joking...or forgetting that many games are still
single-player ( or local co-op on one machine ).... or being
exceptionally arrogant. Kinda infectious with friends like
G..weedledum and D..weedledee at Valve.

John Lewis
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:15:14 PM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:58 -0800, "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote:

>You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
>paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
>Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
>This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
>this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
>anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

If they are going to start thinking that way then they better be
prepared for the backlash. Thinking this way will just cost them more
in sales and more losses due to higher pirating. This is just a bigger
challenge for the crackers, which they love.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:29:50 PM

OldDog wrote:
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree
that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me.

These days new houses are built with phone and plug sockets everywhere
in order to accommodate the amount of electronic gear we tend to
accumulate.

Broadband is continuing to be taken up and is (in word at least)
supported by The Powers That Be, so the number of connections is likely
to continue increasing.

The internet is becoming more and more a part of our daily lives.
Newsgroups and forums such as this one, online banking, VOIP, online
shopping, music downloads, online gaming, email, web browsing
generally. I research and book hotels, flights, car hire over the web.
In the UK we can get car tax and insurance online.

Take all the above and try to imagine a decade into the future. Well,
we'll all be wearing shiny suits and "food" will come in tablet form,
but apart from that, it really wouldn't be a shock to find that
broadband internet access is as common as mobile phones are now, and
consequently it will be no big deal for us to connect to the web to
update our console/PC, download and activate our games and play them.

Sure, Steam is raising eyebrows now, but in 10 years I think things
will be different. Maybe because of Steam?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:56:14 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, The *real* Nos wrote:

> Lots of people didn't buy the game because of Steam. Lots.

exactly!
very well said!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 4, 2005 12:56:18 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005, GFree wrote:

> Their loss I guess.

wrong! its your loss!
to play hl2 you sold your dignity! your freedom! your consumer rights!
so you lose!

ps: change your alias and erase "free" from it cause it doesn't no longer
apply to you! a valve gamer is an imprisoned one!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 4, 2005 12:56:25 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
> to play.

obviously cause its for their own advantage!

pc games don't need internet connection to play! everyone knows it!
developers and publisher want it so they can have control over us
and make us pay more to play pc games!
its that simple!

it will be a long hard fight but we must start now and have no
mercy at all for them!

> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

and me long time come and buried

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 4, 2005 12:56:30 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005, The *real* Nos wrote:

> And cars will fly too.

lol!
that was very funny! :)

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 4, 2005 12:56:34 PM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, "JLC" wrote:

> You beat me to it! I was just sitting down to post about this. It was small
> paragraph that could have huge implications in the near future. Seems like
> Steam really got a lot of game developers thinking.
> This is the line that really got me the most. Mark Rein from Epic Games said
> this "Unfortunately, gamers are going to have to give up some of their
> anonymity to play games" That to me is a very scary type of thinking. JLC

so know do you finally see how right i've been for all these months?
please give me some credit! please!
use a filter to take of the insults i unfortunately put but behind all
my vocal always over the top bad english type of writing, i am right!

and to reply to mr rein, but who the hell does he think he is, so he
now sets the rules in the pc game market?
NO MR REIN YOU DON'T OWN US! YOU DON'T TELL US WHAT WE MUST DO!

we pc gamers must show developers and publisher they don't control us!

we must fight for our dignity! for our freedom! for our consumer rights!
WE MUST FIGHT DAMN IT!
FIGHT TILL THE END!

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

March 4, 2005 2:24:01 PM

On 4 Mar 2005 09:29:50 -0800, "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>It wouldn't surprise me.
>
>These days new houses are built with phone and plug sockets everywhere
>in order to accommodate the amount of electronic gear we tend to
>accumulate.
>
>Broadband is continuing to be taken up and is (in word at least)
>supported by The Powers That Be, so the number of connections is likely
>to continue increasing.
>
>The internet is becoming more and more a part of our daily lives.
>Newsgroups and forums such as this one, online banking, VOIP, online
>shopping, music downloads, online gaming, email, web browsing
>generally. I research and book hotels, flights, car hire over the web.
>In the UK we can get car tax and insurance online.
>
>Take all the above and try to imagine a decade into the future. Well,
>we'll all be wearing shiny suits and "food" will come in tablet form,
>but apart from that, it really wouldn't be a shock to find that
>broadband internet access is as common as mobile phones are now, and
>consequently it will be no big deal for us to connect to the web to
>update our console/PC, download and activate our games and play them.
>
>Sure, Steam is raising eyebrows now, but in 10 years I think things
>will be different. Maybe because of Steam?

They better get a handle on all the spyware, trojans, etc. before
moving to this type of gaming model because I for one don't leave my
PC always connected to the internet even with broadband.
March 4, 2005 4:09:48 PM

"sayNO2steam" wrote
> GFree wrote:

>> Their loss I guess.

> wrong! its your loss!
> to play hl2 you sold your dignity! your freedom! your consumer rights!
> so you lose!

> ps: change your alias and erase "free" from it cause it doesn't no longer
> apply to you! a valve gamer is an imprisoned one!

Your alias has got "Steam" in it.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 9:52:59 PM

sayNO2steam wrote:

> wrong! its your loss!
> to play hl2 you sold your dignity! your freedom! your consumer rights!
> so you lose!
>
> ps: change your alias and erase "free" from it cause it doesn't no
> longer apply to you! a valve gamer is an imprisoned one!

ROFL
It's ranting posts like this is why I won't killfile you.
March 4, 2005 10:32:56 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:24:01 -0800, Connected
<connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>They better get a handle on all the spyware, trojans, etc. before
>moving to this type of gaming model because I for one don't leave my
>PC always connected to the internet even with broadband.

They have these clever newfangled things called Firewall's now. I
think they will catch on, you might want to check them out.
March 4, 2005 10:32:57 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:32:56 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>They have these clever newfangled things called Firewall's now. I
>think they will catch on, you might want to check them out.

Got one in my router and a software firewall on my PC but anyone who
thinks they are impervious is a fool. That be you.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:55:35 PM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:09:03 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
>eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet connection
>to play.

The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
bought online by then anyway.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:55:36 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:55:35 GMT, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
>bought online by then anyway.

Yea, sure, when many ISP's limit your bandwidth? I doubt it.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:55:36 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:55:35 GMT, Joe62
<jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
>bought online by then anyway.

p.s. you start downloading gobs and gobs of gb's per month and you
will soon be getting a call from your ISP. Bandwidth don't come free.
March 4, 2005 11:51:51 PM

Andrew wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:24:01 -0800, Connected
> <connected@somewhere.here> wrote:
>

>>They better get a handle on all the spyware, trojans, etc. before
>>moving to this type of gaming model because I for one don't leave my
>>PC always connected to the internet even with broadband.
>

> They have these clever newfangled things called Firewall's now. I
> think they will catch on, you might want to check them out.

Lol. Just got off the phone with a friend who had broadband today.
Switched it and bang! - 7 virus's. Just talked him through enabling XP
SP1 Firewall. I'll be sorting SP2 for him tomorrow plus a good AV.

If they want this method of distribution to work and become popular
there is definitely some eductation for noobs and idiots required.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:51:51 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>Lol. Just got off the phone with a friend who had broadband today.
>Switched it and bang! - 7 virus's. Just talked him through enabling XP
>SP1 Firewall. I'll be sorting SP2 for him tomorrow plus a good AV.

Get him to use the Sygate Personal Firewall. The XP one (SP2 included)
is a liability that should never be called a firewall.
March 5, 2005 12:43:20 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:43:19 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>Get him to use the Sygate Personal Firewall. The XP one (SP2 included)
>is a liability that should never be called a firewall.

That's not what some Firewall experts in the Firewall newsgroup think.
I use Sygate though.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:17:56 AM

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 11:24:01 -0800, Connected
> <connected@somewhere.here> wrote:
>
> >They better get a handle on all the spyware, trojans, etc. before
> >moving to this type of gaming model because I for one don't leave my
> >PC always connected to the internet even with broadband.
>
> They have these clever newfangled things called Firewall's now. I
> think they will catch on, you might want to check them out.

I was just reading my local paper today. They had an article on how to be
safe while online. The first thing that they recommended to any user to do
was to hook their computer up to a router-firewall. Even if you're the
only pc on it. For dial-up users they recommended a software firewall like
ZoneAlarm.

Then they went on to cover anti-virus and adware software.

Sad when we have to put up a defense system just to logon. And then
deliquesce ourselves after surfing the net.
March 5, 2005 2:26:15 AM

Connected wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:55:35 GMT, Joe62
> <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
>

>>The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
>>bought online by then anyway.
>

> Yea, sure, when many ISP's limit your bandwidth? I doubt it.

Which is probably why providers are gearing up to charge by bandwith
rather than speed in the UK. My provider just doubled my speed 'for
free' but has set a cap of 30GB with a charge of £1.95 per additional GB
after that. Matter of time before they all go that way.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:26:16 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:26:15 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>Which is probably why providers are gearing up to charge by bandwith
>rather than speed in the UK. My provider just doubled my speed 'for
>free' but has set a cap of 30GB with a charge of £1.95 per additional GB
>after that. Matter of time before they all go that way.

Well, you get 20gb more than me. I get 10gb down and 3gb up per month,
I'm not sure what the charges are after that because I've never gone
over.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:37:22 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:43:19 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:51:51 +0000, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
>wrote:
>
>>Lol. Just got off the phone with a friend who had broadband today.
>>Switched it and bang! - 7 virus's. Just talked him through enabling XP
>>SP1 Firewall. I'll be sorting SP2 for him tomorrow plus a good AV.
>
>Get him to use the Sygate Personal Firewall. The XP one (SP2 included)
>is a liability that should never be called a firewall.

Links, please. We both know that Windows XP SP2 firewall is minimalistic,
but it at least gets the job done.

Even though I'm already firewalled at the ISP level, I still notice a very
minor difference in the filtering of the default TCP packet.
http://www.dslreports.com/scan
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 5:05:02 AM

Shawk wrote:
> Connected wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:55:35 GMT, Joe62
>> <jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
>>> bought online by then anyway.
>>

>> Yea, sure, when many ISP's limit your bandwidth? I doubt it.
>
> Which is probably why providers are gearing up to charge by bandwith
> rather than speed in the UK. My provider just doubled my speed 'for
> free' but has set a cap of 30GB with a charge of £1.95 per additional
> GB after that. Matter of time before they all go that way.

how much you payin per month you should look into plusnet you can transfer
over for free from another provider and its £29.99 per month uncapped 1Mbps

--

You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!
Anonymous

Connected <connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>p.s. you start downloading gobs and gobs of gb's per month and you
>will soon be getting a call from your ISP. Bandwidth don't come free.

<shrug> It's not rocket science to figure they'll find a way to
incorporate that cost into the price of buying the software.

Trucks, ships, prime real estate, packaging and discs, and sales
clerks don't come free either you know ... quite a bit more expensive
than bandwidth. So clearly they could set up game sales online to
cost, at worst, the same as store-bought games.

Joe
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:08:54 AM

p.s. and you're a pussy for giving in so easlily.
March 5, 2005 9:03:51 AM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:37:22 -0500, bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau)
wrote:

>>Get him to use the Sygate Personal Firewall. The XP one (SP2 included)
>>is a liability that should never be called a firewall.
>
>Links, please.

As you don't seem to ever of heard of www.google.com or any other
search engine:
http://soho.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

> We both know that Windows XP SP2 firewall is minimalistic,
>but it at least gets the job done.

IMO it certainly does not get the job done.
March 5, 2005 10:59:52 AM

"Andrew" wrote
> bk039@ncf.ca (Raymond Martineau) wrote:

>>>Get him to use the Sygate Personal Firewall. The XP one (SP2 included)
>>>is a liability that should never be called a firewall.

>>Links, please.

> As you don't seem to ever of heard of www.google.com or any other
> search engine:
> http://soho.sygate.com/download_buy.htm

>> We both know that Windows XP SP2 firewall is minimalistic,
>>but it at least gets the job done.

> IMO it certainly does not get the job done.

I think anyone switching from the XP firewall to ZoneAlarm will be shocked
at how many applications access the Internet.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 10:59:53 AM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:59:52 GMT, "Vince"
<vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I think anyone switching from the XP firewall to ZoneAlarm will be shocked
>at how many applications access the Internet.

Um, I found 'sa.windows.com' accessing the internet when I used the
find feature. Look up what that does. It's benign. What else did you
find?
March 5, 2005 11:09:39 AM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:59:52 GMT, "Vince"
<vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I think anyone switching from the XP firewall to ZoneAlarm will be shocked
>at how many applications access the Internet.

Yup. My faith in the SP2 firewall was destroyed within 5 minutes of
trying it - half of my applications that access the net didn't trigger
an alert and connected without a problem.
March 5, 2005 11:09:40 AM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:09:39 +0000, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>Yup. My faith in the SP2 firewall was destroyed within 5 minutes of
>trying it - half of my applications that access the net didn't trigger
>an alert and connected without a problem.

It's not supposed to. Look, I use Sygate and I can do alot more with
Sygate than your silly ZA. But the XP SP2 Firewall is not fluff
either. They are just trying make it simple for the newby. I've used
ZA Pro and it is pathetic. Ask permissions for every .dll etc. WTF is
that? You know what all those .dll's are doing? I don't and I doubt
most people do either.
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 12:26:13 PM

Hi
I am all for a steam like distribution system.
The only thing I don't like is that the games have to call home <copy
protection> everytime you want to play them.<although I already have a
emulator for steam runing on my pc>

I beleve d/l model for games great <see stardock.com>
It allows me to get the game quicker easier cheaper then the store.
I also feel that the people who write the games should get the lion share of
the profit not some suit.

By distributing there stuff by the inet It will alow the studios to produce
games that would never make it in the stores<the suits only want clones of
what sold eg doom3 ect>

Also allows them to deal directly with thier customers...thier customers
<what the customer wants for expantion support eg>

I can get them quicker i don't have to preorder at EB<another profit scam
;) >
I get it the day they release it<something Warez has better then retail now>
I don't have to spend 2hrs of my time going to the store to find out they
are sold out of the 2 copys they had<do you want to put a deposit down so we
will hold a copy for you ? ;) >

It also allows the people who produce the games to get the profit
directly....
The courrent modle the retailers don't make thier money not by actuly
selling the games they rent shelf space to the Publishers /wholesallers.
The publishing houses make the money from the sale....
and the devloper gets a pitance maybe...

Web base distribution if fast convient and allows us to pay <or not pay> the
ones who make the games.

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> Since this seems to be a hot topic, I recently ran across this in the
> lastest PCGamer magazine.
>
> At this years CES, Epic Games, Firaxis, and Warner Brothers all agree that
> eventually (10-15yrs) all consoles & PCs will require an internet
> connection
> to play.
>
> This OldDog might be in a nursing home by that time. ;)

March 5, 2005 1:04:17 PM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 02:00:07 -0800, Connected
<connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>It's not supposed to. Look, I use Sygate and I can do alot more with
>Sygate than your silly ZA.

Try reading the thread, I use and recommend Sygate. After bad
experiences in the past and read many more, wouldn't go near ZA.

> But the XP SP2 Firewall is not fluff
>either. They are just trying make it simple for the newby. I've used
>ZA Pro and it is pathetic. Ask permissions for every .dll etc. WTF is
>that? You know what all those .dll's are doing? I don't and I doubt
>most people do either.

I wasn't referring to DLL's, I was referring to the fact that I had
actual non MS applications that got through the SP2 firewall without a
murmur. It is a complete liability that MS should be ashamed of.
March 5, 2005 1:30:05 PM

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:17:11 -0800, Connected
<connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:55:35 GMT, Joe62
><jmcginnNOSPAM@radicalREALLYNOSPAM.ca> wrote:
>

>>The time-frame sounds realistic. I'm convinced most games will be
>>bought online by then anyway.
>
>Yea, sure, when many ISP's limit your bandwidth? I doubt it.

Yea, and I will have to hook my laptop up to an overpriced internet
connection when I fly so that I can play a single-player game to pass
the time ? Oh, I forgot there will be "offline mode".... I just have
to remember to enable it on my laptop and disable the game on my
desktop before I rush out the door to the flight. Can't have 2
runnable copies of a single download purchase....that would not
please G..weedledum and D..weedledee at Valve ( for example ) or
Rein-in-the-horses at Epic....

Yeah, right...and all I need today is just carry a selection of
game-CD/DVDswith me on my trip to legally validate play, with the
games already pre-installed ( and patched ). No futzing with inane
on-line permission-juggling from anal-retentive developers.....

Well, it seems that my large collection of classic stand-alone
single-player PC games ( including thick printed manuals for
many ) will suddenly become valuable in this future ??utopia??
of total-internet-connectivity and game-developer bully-boys.
Bring it on............

John Lewis
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 4:26:32 PM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:51:07 GMT, "TheLoanArranger"
<somewhere@wallawallawalla.com> wrote:

>I don't think Valve want to cater to ranting pricks like yourself or your
>buddy DiFoooool.
>Good job, really.
>Tosser.

We have our millions of minions too don't forget.
March 5, 2005 5:35:06 PM

"Vince" <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>Links, please.
>
>> As you don't seem to ever of heard of www.google.com or any other
>> search engine:
>> http://soho.sygate.com/download_buy.htm
>
>>> We both know that Windows XP SP2 firewall is minimalistic,
>>>but it at least gets the job done.
>
>> IMO it certainly does not get the job done.
>
> I think anyone switching from the XP firewall to ZoneAlarm will be shocked
> at how many applications access the Internet.

The best thing the ZA Pro does is block banner ads. It works very well, and
doesn't slow down page loading.It's also very handy to be informed about
which programs are trying to phone home.
Even MS optical mouse wants to phone home. And it doesn't have anything to
do with updating the drivers. A hardware firewall is the best way to go, and
simple routers are cheap these days, but a SW firewall is handy to see what
is trying to connect out from your PC. JLC
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:18:39 PM

Connected <connected@somewhere.here> wrote:

>...you dumb cunt.

The cogency of your argument defeats me. I bow before your
intellectual prowess.

Joe
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:18:40 PM

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:18:39 GMT, Joe62 <NOSPAMjmcginn@shaw.ca> wrote:

>The cogency of your argument defeats me. I bow before your
>intellectual prowess.
>
>Joe

Thx, It's wonders what meds and a case of beer can do for one's
intellect.
March 5, 2005 10:22:16 PM

"Alfie [UK]" wrote

> I jumped from BTO to PlusNet when BT were introducing BTY. It seems most
> ISPs have trouble providing a Usenet feed these days :)

My own provider, Blueyonder, has a perfect Internet service they don't
guarantee Newsgroups at all.

I sometimes think I miss half of the posts on this group.

Now if I could only choose which half...
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 10:31:08 PM

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 09:26:13 -0500, "Rick Ryan"
<nighthawk@axecessnet.net> wrote:

>Hi
>I am all for a steam like distribution system.
>The only thing I don't like is that the games have to call home <copy
>protection> everytime you want to play them.<although I already have a
>emulator for steam runing on my pc>
>
>I beleve d/l model for games great <see stardock.com>
>It allows me to get the game quicker easier cheaper then the store.
>I also feel that the people who write the games should get the lion share of
>the profit not some suit.

Must be a FPS and arcade-style game-player. Dumb enough game-play
not to need any sort of game-manual.

Wanna download, print and bind the >100-page manual for a decent RPG
or >200-page manual for a decent flight-sim ? I just happen to have
the NWN Platinum Edition manual handy ---- 224 pages.....very nicely
spiral-bound too....

Ever try thumbing through a detailed manual on a computer screen when
you are not looking for a specific topic, or when you are just trying
to familiarize yourself quickly and efficiently with a new game or
productivity tool ?

Haven't seen any of the download-proponents factor in the print and
bind (and time-wasted) cost for a DIY-on-one's-printer-manual.
Currently included in the retail price for those games that need
manuals --- sale price better.

BTW, haven't seen many download developers offer 1 or 2-week sale
prices... no need, they have a monopoly.

For example, look at Valve's current prices on Steam for HL2, compared
with the current retail prices. Oh... I see that they have now reduced
the HL2 "Gold" on Steam from $89.95 to $84.95.... how very generous!!
Babbage's standard price for the retail Collector's Edition is now
$59.99 ( and Babbage's is NOT noted for discounts ) and typical
pricing for the base retail HL2 is now $39.99, with sale-discounts to
$34.99.

Yeah... downloaded games is sure the way to go.....right !
Certainly convenient ( and a useful ALTERNATE to retail ) for those
out in the sticks with high transport costs ( and no UPS delivery ?),
but this group does not represent the demographics of the majority
of PC game-players. Of course, there will always be the game-fanatic
who requires the instant gratification of download/play immediately a
game is released ... they will be quite happy to pay any
price....since they have no other life (apart from work.. if they
work)...the PC/console equivalent to the TV couch-potato.

John Lewis

!