topdollaruk

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hi,

Im fairly new to networking and will begin an experiment for home use. I have a question that i am not sure on.

1. Is it possible to have a RJ45 wall jack (socket 1) connected to another RJ45 wall jack (socket 2) - Crossover fashion between?

n.b. One socket would be connected to a router/modem via cable.

Please apologise for my noobness in the matter.

It would only make sense if each wall socket was part of a separate wiring system (unlikely). If all the wires lead back to the same central switch (likely), it's pointless. It's no different than taking an ethernet cable and connecting each end into your router's switch.

grn

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Not totally pointless. I have a 4 port router in my living room and don't want to have cables from the router either tacked around the walls or run under carpets. So I'd like to connect ports on the router to a wall mounted RJ45 plate and run the cable behind the drywall to other wallplates where a laptop (e.g.) can be plugged in. Haven't done it yet as I haven't figured out how to wire each wall socket i.e. do I need to do a crossover although I think most routers these days automatically do crossover.

allennnn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
You don't need to wire it crossover, and it's a good idea if thats how you want it, you can then have the switch and the wires in a easy location in a cupboard and not have to go reboot the router or check the status lights. but i would maybe consider moving the router.

Companies wire their sockets in to a Patch Panel which are just small sockets in rows with a short 'Patch' cable to the switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6wZ9vwKSEs