How to change laptop over to a wireless connection

sitemaker

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012
Hello,
currently running windows 7, 64 bit, purchased netgeat router wndr3700v3. I setup router with it, now I'd like to change this laptop over to a wireless connection, when I asked netgear support for help they want to charge me more money in order to help. If someone could help with this, i'd really appreciate it. thanks .

Most laptops already have a wireless adapter installed, and usually enabled by default. And if so, you'll see a small network icon in the system tray that you can click and use to configure your wireless connection (SSID, wireless security key, etc.). All of these instructions are likely in the router manual, did you read it?

sitemaker

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Hi, thanks so much for your reply. I read everything that they provided, a 2 page pamphlet. I do have internet connectivity, since I did make a hardwired connection from the laptop to the router, now I don't know how to make this laptop "wireless" meaning when I pull the plug, i loose internet access, how do I configure it so it's no longer conncected to the router??

p.s. I spent 1 hour on the phone with a support rep, he informed me that this could be done, but i'd have to pay in order for them to help! So, here I am , so much for support.

If your laptop already has a wireless network adapter installed (most do), and your laptop came preconfigured w/ Windows and all the necessary drivers (most do), then you have everything installed and ready to go.

Hit the Windows key + R, and in the box, type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes) and hit enter. That will take you to the Network Connections dialog. You should see two network adapters, one for your wired connection, the other for wireless. Make sure the wireless connection’s status is enabled (if not, right click it and select Enable). Once enabled, you should see a network icon in the system tray that you can click and bring up a dialog to connect to the radio of your wireless router. It will have a name (SSID) and probably be open (i.e., no wireless security). Just select it and connect. At that point you should have a functioning wireless connection and internet access.

Now return to your router's UI (usually http://192.168.1.1 ) and add wireless security (WPA2 and a strong key/passphrase). You'll need to reconnect the laptop to the wireless router and provide the key to get your Internet access back.