babazoo

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
I went and purchased another 128mb of SDram at 100mhz for my system. It is a 500mhz PIII. After installing the memory, the computer would not boot. I took the memory out, still wouldn't boot. Eventually, I got it to start, and got
an error message saying "CMOS checksum bad" press F1 to enter setup, F2 to restore defaults and continue. After pressing F2, I got into windows, it installed some drivers for new components and seems to be working ok. I don't want to try rebooting just yet, in case I can't get it started again. What the hell is going on? How can I get my RAM to work, and most importantly, what happened to my system?

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I'll assume you're using a BX chipset with PC100 modules.
Make sure you fill the Memory Banks in the right order (starting with bank 0) with the biggest module first. If that's not the chipset and/or module you have, then provide us with some info. In the meantime, try the Bank thing.

<font color=red>A platform is not an oil rig.</font color=red>

babazoo

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
it's an intel 440ZX 100mhz chipset.
There are only two available banks, and one of them already had a 128mb chip in it.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Are your modules compatible? (you can't mix EDO with SDRAM).

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Try clearing CMOS and restoring BIOS default afterwards.

babazoo

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
yeah I did that, and it seems to be working ok, but it takes quite a while to load windows, and just hangs on the shutting down windows screen

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
Did Windows detect your modules properly?
About the hang thing, a BIOS upgrade might resolve that. It worked for me a while back on my BX system.
Run WCPUID and check how much memory it detects.
You can download it there : <A HREF="http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html" target="_new">http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html</A>

babazoo

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
A bios upgrade..... I might try that next.
And I don't have the new module installed right now, cause I need the computer for a project, but after I backup everything, I'll try it again.

Thanks for the help by the way, I really appreciate it.

babazoo

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
hmmm just noticed something interesting........ my system clock reads April 8, 1999.

I'm about ready to throw this thing into the trash!

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
You've probably been struck by the CMOS Evil Spirit hovering over your PC or the Dark Leprechaun of Clock Disturbance!
Sorry, I'm just delirious here. I've been experiencing extended exposition to the Sun today!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The ZX is a less expensive version of the BX with the same performance. Intel reduced the ZX to 512MB capacity and 4 PCI bus mastering slots instead of 5. No effect on performance.

You shouldn't even bother with PC100, as PC133 is usually cheaper now and of higher quality. In fact, most of the PC100 on the market right now is either defective, or relabled, PC133.

OK, so you haven't passed the 512MB limit, the next question is, how many chips are on the module? Read the FAQ for density limits on the TX/LX/BX, they also apply to the ZX, 32MB per chip, so your 128MB module has to have at least 8 chips on it.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

babazoo

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
Yeah there's 8 chips.
But I don't think that this is a RAM related issue, because when I took the RAM module out, the computer still wouldn't boot, and I got the CMOS checksum bad error. The effects were the same regardless if the RAM was in or not. But the thing that confuses me, is why the CMOS would get messed up.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know. Did you unplug the computer before installing it? You know that the board remains "ON" when the rest of the system is "Off" right?

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Dinski

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2002
A question and an answer:
Have you checked your CMOS- battery? An exhausted battery is a verry possible reason for some of the problems you got.
The Windows might be starting slower because it takes a longer time to your PC to check and count the larger memory. In this case not windows, but the whole process of loading after starting the PC is longer.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>