How can i change my public ip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan333

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
How can i change my public ip?I play a mmorpg and went on vent with old "friends" who are too serious about the game....(they stopped playing their guild died and i went to a rival active one,now they can back and are pissed,one is age 18 other 30 both act like 5yr olds) but anyways when i went on vent the 30yr old banned me and gave the 18 year old my ip to ddos me and try to "poison" my ip to get my account info.Any way i can change ip and or protect myself?i have a westell a90-750045-07,am i safe,to be honest I'm more worried about him getting my families info that my game account.
Thanks in advance hope you can help!can he even do that,will vent give my real ip to him?

Solution

Odds are you would have to call because they would not be able to tell.

It is unlikely he can run a "distributed" denial of service attack. He would need control of lots of other peoples machines which is unlikely. The people that control the real botnets are unlikely to sell it cheap enough to attack a end person.

Trying to run a denial of service from home users is a joke. Almost all home internet cannot send enough traffic to come close to what most people can download. Would need access to a commercial internet.

I have full access to my work 10G internet but would I risk my job to...
You most likely can just turn the modem off for a while and it will get a different IP. All depends if you provider gave you a static one (normally they charge extra) or they have a very high timeout.

If they own the vent server it will very well give them your public IP. One of the key reasons to not use a private vent server.

What they can do with your IP is not much. They can of course try denial of service but they will soon tire of that. If they are very skilled they might be able to disconnect you from a game with ip spoofing but you can get right back in.

Just be sure you do not have port forwarding or DMZ configured. The NAT function in the router because it is stupid will not know which machine in your house to send traffic to so it will just throw it away. Nat alone does almost as much as a firewall.

Most likely they are script kiddies that talk big but have no clue how to really attack someone.

Odds are you would have to call because they would not be able to tell.

It is unlikely he can run a "distributed" denial of service attack. He would need control of lots of other peoples machines which is unlikely. The people that control the real botnets are unlikely to sell it cheap enough to attack a end person.

Trying to run a denial of service from home users is a joke. Almost all home internet cannot send enough traffic to come close to what most people can download. Would need access to a commercial internet.

I have full access to my work 10G internet but would I risk my job to send lots of traffic to someone.

Solution
Anyone who threatens you with an intentional DoS attack should be brought to the attention of the ISP, esp. if you have written proof. It might very well be illegal in some jurisdictions and shouldn't be tolerated! At the very least, he might be using the same ISP (or your ISP may be able to work w/ his ISP), and they might not take kindly to such threats to their customers and their network, perhaps in turn threatening to take THEM offline, permanently!

marigoldy

Honorable
May 17, 2013

What IP are you using?Static or Dynamic?If it is dynamic you can easily change it by resetting your modem (Switch it OFF and ON) or in Windows operating systems, open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /release," which dumps the automatic address it had, and then "ipconfig /renew," which gets a new address, which will be in the address space that you just changed the router to. Of course you won't type the quotes, and depending on which Windows version you have you may need to make it "release all" and "renew all."For Mac OS, either restart your computer, or go to the Apple menu, choose System Preferences, choose Network from the View menu, and then Active Network Ports from the View menu. Deselect the "ON" checkbox for your network adapter, click on Apply, then reselect the "ON" checkbox and click Apply again. Finally you can check your new ip address at IP-Details.com ....if they win the vent they probably have the provision to view your Public IP. Do not get frightened by the threaten...if it is illegal then you can approach them legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.