v600 GPS Tracking??

I ran into somebody that had just bought this phone and was showing me how
he could track other people that had either the same phone, or save provider
(not sure which). He would pull them up on his phone and it would display
there physical street location. It would then send a message to the person
that was tracked, notifying them that they were tracked. I have since
purchased this phone myself and cannot for the life of me figure out how I
can do that, I don't know if this was a feature provided on the phone that I
can't find, or an application that he downloaded to the phone. Has anybody
heard of this? V600 w/ ATT.

Thanks,

--
- Minium
4 answers Last reply

    It's been part of AT&T for a few years with GPRS. It uses the signal from
    the strongest tower and possibly some triangulation, not GPS.

    You need to have the mMode option and make yourself "findable" and your
    friends need to do the same, much like instant messaging.

    "Minium" <minium@inreach.com> wrote in message
    > I ran into somebody that had just bought this phone and was showing me how
    > he could track other people that had either the same phone, or save
    provider
    > (not sure which). He would pull them up on his phone and it would display
    > there physical street location. It would then send a message to the
    person
    > that was tracked, notifying them that they were tracked. I have since
    > purchased this phone myself and cannot for the life of me figure out how I
    > can do that, I don't know if this was a feature provided on the phone that
    > can't find, or an application that he downloaded to the phone. Has
    anybody
    > heard of this? V600 w/ ATT.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > - Minium

    Is this only available for v600 ?

    If this can be done ... then how come they can't find lost / stolen phones ?

    I've used it with an Ericsson T38m, Sony Ericsson T68 & T68i, and Nokia
    6310i.

    It could be used for that but it's only as good as the point in time when
    the phone was polled. It does send a message to the phone being checked that
    it was located by the other person.

    The better part is being somewhere and having the search features tell you
    what's nearby your current location. I'm surprised AT&T doesn't make better
    use of this unless it scares some people.

    "SA" <reply@group.com> wrote in message
    > Is this only available for v600 ?
    >
    > If this can be done ... then how come they can't find lost / stolen phones
    ?

    Where is the mMode option? Settings??

    "MegaBit" <email@dot.com> wrote in message
    > It's been part of AT&T for a few years with GPRS. It uses the signal from
    > the strongest tower and possibly some triangulation, not GPS.
    >
    > You need to have the mMode option and make yourself "findable" and your
    > friends need to do the same, much like instant messaging.
    >

    > "Minium" <minium@inreach.com> wrote in message
    > > I ran into somebody that had just bought this phone and was showing me
    how
    > > he could track other people that had either the same phone, or save
    > provider
    > > (not sure which). He would pull them up on his phone and it would
    display
    > > there physical street location. It would then send a message to the
    > person
    > > that was tracked, notifying them that they were tracked. I have since
    > > purchased this phone myself and cannot for the life of me figure out how
    > > can do that, I don't know if this was a feature provided on the phone
    that
    > > can't find, or an application that he downloaded to the phone. Has
    > anybody
    > > heard of this? V600 w/ ATT.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > --