v600 GPS Tracking??

Last response: in Brands
April 21, 2004 8:09:10 PM

I ran into somebody that had just bought this phone and was showing me how
he could track other people that had either the same phone, or save provider
(not sure which). He would pull them up on his phone and it would display
there physical street location. It would then send a message to the person
that was tracked, notifying them that they were tracked. I have since
purchased this phone myself and cannot for the life of me figure out how I
can do that, I don't know if this was a feature provided on the phone that I
can't find, or an application that he downloaded to the phone. Has anybody
heard of this? V600 w/ ATT.

Thanks,

--
- Minium

More about : v600 gps tracking

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 8:58:56 PM

It's been part of AT&T for a few years with GPRS. It uses the signal from
the strongest tower and possibly some triangulation, not GPS.

You need to have the mMode option and make yourself "findable" and your
friends need to do the same, much like instant messaging.

"Minium" <minium@inreach.com> wrote in message
> I ran into somebody that had just bought this phone and was showing me how
> he could track other people that had either the same phone, or save
provider
> (not sure which). He would pull them up on his phone and it would display
> there physical street location. It would then send a message to the
person
> that was tracked, notifying them that they were tracked. I have since
> purchased this phone myself and cannot for the life of me figure out how I
> can do that, I don't know if this was a feature provided on the phone that
> can't find, or an application that he downloaded to the phone. Has
anybody
> heard of this? V600 w/ ATT.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> - Minium

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 12:13:33 PM

Is this only available for v600 ?

If this can be done ... then how come they can't find lost / stolen phones ?
April 23, 2004 8:24:00 PM

I've used it with an Ericsson T38m, Sony Ericsson T68 & T68i, and Nokia
6310i.

It could be used for that but it's only as good as the point in time when
the phone was polled. It does send a message to the phone being checked that
it was located by the other person.

The better part is being somewhere and having the search features tell you
what's nearby your current location. I'm surprised AT&T doesn't make better
use of this unless it scares some people.

"SA" <reply@group.com> wrote in message
> Is this only available for v600 ?
>
> If this can be done ... then how come they can't find lost / stolen phones
?

Anonymous
April 25, 2004 8:39:24 AM

Where is the mMode option? Settings??