Sign in with
Your question

I can see wireless networks but I can't connect to them

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 19, 2012 8:44:58 AM

I'm using Windows 7, and when I lived at my house I was able to connect to wireless networks without a problem. I just moved today into my brother's old apartment and for some reason I can't connect to his wireless network. I can see it along with a number of other wireless networks, but I'm unable to connect to any of them. When I attempt to connect to a network absolutely nothing happens. Typically at the bottom right corner of my screen something will pop up saying it's trying to connect, but for some reason that isn't popping up. I know it's not a problem with the router because I'm unable to connect to any of the networks, and I also had no trouble when I tried to connect to it with my laptop. I've tried a number of things such as troubleshooting, reinstalling the driver for my adapter, trying to find a solution on google, etc., but I haven't been able to fix it. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

More about : wireless networks connect

July 20, 2012 1:25:28 AM

Can anyone help me out? I've tried some more to get it working but still haven't had any success. I tried using my brother's wireless netgear adapter and at first I had the same problem; all of the networks would show up in the list but clicking on them wouldn't do anything. I was able to get his adapter working though because on the right side of my taskbar I found a netgear icon, and when I clicked that something called netgear genie opened up and I was able to connect through it; unfortunately my belkin adapter didn't come with anything like that.

I also tried going to the network and sharing center in the control panel and there's an option that says "Set up a new connection or network", but when I try clicking that nothing happens. If I click the button below it that says "connect to a network" it just pops up that same list of networks in the bottom right corner and clicking on them does nothing. I also went to internet properties in the control panel. On the connections tab it says "To set up an internet connection, click Setup", but when I click setup nothing happens. There's another button below it to add a network, but clicking that doesn't do anything either. I'm not sure what to do, I've spent hours looking for solutions online and I've tried everything I could think of but nothing has worked.
m
l
March 19, 2013 5:28:04 AM

The good news is that you're one of the top google results for your problem. The bad news is that I'm having the same problem and no one has answered you.
m
l
a b F Wireless
March 22, 2013 12:30:16 AM

TomSwiss said:
The good news is that you're one of the top google results for your problem. The bad news is that I'm having the same problem and no one has answered you.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

The answer to this one is sometimes as simple as going into IE's Tools menu>Internet Options>Connection tab>LAN button and putting a tick in the "Automatic detect settings" box.

m
l
!