60 Mins to air video game violence case !

Oh joy.. now 60 mins is going to spread the stupidity of this lawsuit.
Has the country gone mad??

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/04/news_6119724.html

Pluvious
7 answers Last reply
More about mins video game violence case

    Schrodinger wrote:
    > Shortly afterwards, you will probably see Goodfellas scheduled on
    > another channel.
    >
    > <sigh>
    >
    > <sigh>

    I think like everything there are two sides to the story. It would be
    foolish to suggest video games are the cause, or even a primary cause, of
    violent crimes. I think it would be equally foolish to say they have no
    effect whatsoever, especially among the very young, whom these games are
    targeted at. And behind it all you have a lot of money. It makes an
    interesting dilmma and I for one will watch the story tonight.

    To continue your aside above, the primary theme behind Goodfellas is the
    barbarism the criminals exhibit without any remorse. In fact it's just
    their way of life. But never is the violence condoned. Violence is a way
    of life for all humans, but does that mean it should be a profit center?
    There's a lot of gray area in this issue. This is the slant I expect the 60
    Minutes story to take.

    GS.

    Pluvious cleared his throat and opined:

    > Oh joy.. now 60 mins is going to spread the stupidity of this lawsuit.
    > Has the country gone mad??
    >
    > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/04/news_6119724.html
    >
    > Pluvious

    John B. "Jack" Thompson is the lawyer behind these lawsuits. It's not like
    the families are coming to him..... he ambulance chases any case which has a
    whiff of videogame violence right to the family's doorsteps and convinces
    them that the big bad videogame industry and not their poor parenting that
    is to blame for little Timmy shooting the policeman.

    Thompson is a born again, Batman obsessed, self promoting wingnut who is
    both a menace to common sense and an opponent of free speech. He has also
    never played a single one of the games he crusades against.

    The sooner this loon tallies up a significant number of lawsuit losses that
    the media stops paying any attention to him, the better. Unfortunately he's
    an utter whore for the spotlight.

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 15:22:06 -0500, "Greg" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Pluvious cleared his throat and opined:
    >
    >> Oh joy.. now 60 mins is going to spread the stupidity of this lawsuit.
    >> Has the country gone mad??
    >>
    >> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/04/news_6119724.html
    >>
    >> Pluvious
    [...]
    >The sooner this loon tallies up a significant number of lawsuit losses that
    >the media stops paying any attention to him, the better. Unfortunately he's
    >an utter whore for the spotlight.

    Don't count on it. The media almost never takes a look at these kinds of
    losses - they just want to make an immediate sensation about a lawyer
    trying to protect children by supressing content. (Completely ignoring the
    fact that the US is centered around the First Admendment.)

    He'd have better luck if he'd move to a different country.

    "Greg" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Pluvious cleared his throat and opined:
    >
    >> Oh joy.. now 60 mins is going to spread the stupidity of this lawsuit.
    >> Has the country gone mad??
    >>
    >> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/04/news_6119724.html
    >>
    >> Pluvious
    >
    >John B. "Jack" Thompson is the lawyer behind these lawsuits. It's not like
    >the families are coming to him..... he ambulance chases any case which has a
    >whiff of videogame violence right to the family's doorsteps and convinces
    >them that the big bad videogame industry and not their poor parenting that
    >is to blame for little Timmy shooting the policeman.
    >
    >Thompson is a born again, Batman obsessed, self promoting wingnut who is
    >both a menace to common sense and an opponent of free speech. He has also
    >never played a single one of the games he crusades against.
    >
    >The sooner this loon tallies up a significant number of lawsuit losses that
    >the media stops paying any attention to him, the better. Unfortunately he's
    >an utter whore for the spotlight.

    If he's such a bad guy why doesn't someone kill him.
    If you plan it in advance you can kill anyone and you won't get caught.
    The trick is to kill someone almost at random who you really have no
    motive for killing.

    "Bateau" wrote

    > If he's such a bad guy why doesn't someone kill him.
    > If you plan it in advance you can kill anyone and you won't get caught.
    > The trick is to kill someone almost at random who you really have no
    > motive for killing.

    An excellent argument against Capital punishment.

    Criminals really do think they're too intelligent to get caught.

    Vince wrote:
    > "Bateau" wrote
    >

    >>If he's such a bad guy why doesn't someone kill him.
    >>If you plan it in advance you can kill anyone and you won't get caught.
    >>The trick is to kill someone almost at random who you really have no
    >>motive for killing.
    >

    > An excellent argument against Capital punishment.
    >
    > Criminals really do think they're too intelligent to get caught.

    ...obviously it was the gaming that made him talk like that...

    --
    I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
    'done it'...

    > He'd have better luck if he'd move to a different country.

    You mean, a country which doesn't censor LSL8 and Farenheit
    (not for the violence , but for, *gasp*, a shower scene) ?

    A country which doesn't go insane after seeing Janet Jackson's tit ?

    First amendment indeed.

    -Moa Dragon

PC gaming Video Cases Games IBM Video Games