Brother Destroying my connection?

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
When ever my brother downloads/uploads anything at all while I am playing a game, my ping goes up and everything is laggy. I have 19mbps down 1 mbps up according to Speedtest.net. How do I limit his computer to half the bandwidth and half to me, that way he doesn't hog and neither do I.

You need a router w/ QoS (Quality of Service) controls. Such a router let's you prioritize traffic based on source IP, MAC address, type, etc. But you normally can't limit bandwidth to X amount. It's more about making sure that someone/something doesn't grab all the bandwidth when others are using the system at the same time. But if they’re the only one using the system, then they are allowed to use all of it (which makes sense).

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Yes I have that. How do I set it up? I'm terrible when it comes to routers xD. Here's a screen shot. http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc312/Arlen____/asde.jpg

With 20Mb/s down, you should have no problem with two people on the line. I would think uploading across that 1Mb/s upstream is the choke point. Once you get over 80% upstream bandwitdth it will begin to hinder your download speed as well.

Anyhow, the solution as stated is QoS.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

Okay thanks, I am looking into it :).

TRENDING THREADS