Red Hat 7.2 Won't Boot!!!

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I got red hat 7.2 loaded, but when i go to boot off of the flopy i made durning the installation it says insert disk then hit enter. so i did that then is says boot failed!
im useing grub for the loader (this is loaded on a machine that has win98 on it, so i didnt let if overwright the MBR)
i was trying to set it up so it would dual boot (win98/Linux) i plan on makeing it (win2k pro/Linux)
im stuck any help would be great

p.s. im really new to Linux (sorry for all of the questions)

thanks

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>
"What's another word for thesaurus?"
Steven Wright

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Search the forums: I have posted info on dual booting Win2k/XP and Linux using the NT boot loader.

How are you booting off the floppy? You put it in the drive before you reboot and make sure your system boots from the floppy. Don't worry about overwriting the MBR with 9x, that's only really an issue with NT/2k/XP.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
yes after the install is done it says to make sure the boot disk is in then hit enter.. so i did that and it says
Boot:
Boot Failed: Please change disks and press a key to continue

and thats it.... i have win98 loaded on the first partition i have not formated it and loaded win2k on it yet.

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>
"What's another word for thesaurus?"
Steven Wright

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Sounds like your boot floppy has a problem with it. Try booting from the RedHat CD. It should have a "boot" option, not "install".

When you do format your HD, I strongly encourage you to follow my instructions, as they are a mix of HOWTO with real experience.

Best of luck.

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.