"Advanced Battlegrounds" is a repackaged Chrome

I knew it looked familiar.

Recently released game "Advanced Battlegrounds: The Future of Combat"
is nothing more than Chrome, an FPS release last year, with a new name
and the patches applied (essentially, a "Chrome Gold"). I don't mind
re-releases of games, but it seems to be that the namechange was done
solely to confuse gamers who might not otherwise realize this is the
*exact* same game that came out in 2003.

Not that "Chrome" was such a bad game; it wasn't great either, but it
had its moments. In some ways I'm glad that PC gamers are getting a
second chance at playing this game; when released in 2003, Chrome was
overshadowed by Halo, which came out around the same time. But this
particular ploy seems to be a bit of sleazy marketing on the part of
Dreamcatcher (the publisher).

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

<snip important info about Advanced Battlegrounds = Chrome Gold>

i totally agree with you
ultimately its the same game and dreamcatcher should have proper
labeling in the cover to let everyone know it is a chrome gold edition

many pc gamers having already the original edition will also buy the
gold edition, for example i bet lots of pc gamers will buy painkiller
gold edition but we must know what we are buying and in this case it
can be misleading and its unnecessary cause it will go against us

so yes dreamcatcher should have done a better job

btw i haven't saw chrome gold being sold in europe which i think has
a different publisher, take2... probably take2 will not publisher
chrome gold edition in europe... if not will we lose anything special?
does importing from the states be worthy? what extras does the gold
edition bring? is the packaging special?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:56:17 +0000, sayNO2piracy
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:

>btw i haven't saw chrome gold being sold in europe which i think has
>a different publisher, take2... probably take2 will not publisher
>chrome gold edition in europe... if not will we lose anything special?
>does importing from the states be worthy? what extras does the gold
>edition bring? is the packaging special?

It's only called "Advanced Battlegrounds" in American markets;
elsewhere, it's titled more sensibly "Chrome Gold". Same game,
different name. Perhaps European laws on truth-in-advertising are more
strict there, or something.

Spalls Hurgenson <yoinks@ebalu.com> once tried to test me with:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 07:56:17 +0000, sayNO2piracy
><sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>
>>btw i haven't saw chrome gold being sold in europe which i think has
>>a different publisher, take2... probably take2 will not publisher
>>chrome gold edition in europe... if not will we lose anything special?
>>does importing from the states be worthy? what extras does the gold
>>edition bring? is the packaging special?
>
> It's only called "Advanced Battlegrounds" in American markets;
> elsewhere, it's titled more sensibly "Chrome Gold". Same game,
> different name. Perhaps European laws on truth-in-advertising are more
> strict there, or something.

LOL. This is hardly something that would violate truth in advertising.

Dreamcatcher, BTW, has done this several times in the past. If they don't
think a game is selling under a certain name, when they get ready to
republish (or do another printing, with an update or something) they will
rename it. Like Schizm = Mysterious Journey.

BTW, if you check out the Advanced Battlegrounds web site they say:

"* Also Published as Chrome Gold in other territories."

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

On 12 Mar 2005 17:45:20 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>BTW, if you check out the Advanced Battlegrounds web site they say:
>"* Also Published as Chrome Gold in other territories."

But not on the box, which is the most important place it ought to go.

The name change in the US was not illegal, but nonetheless, it was
sleazy. It would be the same as if Ford re-released the Pinto, flaws
and all, but gave it another name and didn't indicate anywhere that it
was the same combustible vehicle of yesteryear. Its an underhanded
tactic used to convince people to buy something previously rejected by
the market, and companies shouldn't be allowed to profit by it. Hence,
the reason for my initial post; to warn people away from the product.

Spalls Hurgenson <yoinks@ebalu.com> once tried to test me with:

> On 12 Mar 2005 17:45:20 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:
>
>>BTW, if you check out the Advanced Battlegrounds web site they say:
>>"* Also Published as Chrome Gold in other territories."
>
> But not on the box, which is the most important place it ought to go.

There may be legal reasons they are NOT allowed to use that name on the
box. Like agreements with the European distributors.

> The name change in the US was not illegal, but nonetheless, it was
> sleazy.

No, it's not sleazy. It's a name change. Big. Effin. Deal.

> was the same combustible vehicle of yesteryear. Its an underhanded
> tactic used to convince people to buy something previously rejected by
> the market, and companies shouldn't be allowed to profit by it. Hence,
> the reason for my initial post; to warn people away from the product.

It isn't an underhanded tactic. This is no different than Square Soft
releasing Final Fantasy 4 in the USA as Final Fantasy II. This is no
different than releasing Biohazard as Resident Evil in the US.

I for one never saw Chrome on a store shelf in the US, so maybe, just
maybe, they picked a different name because no one would know what the hell
Chrome was anyway.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.