Seeking strategy game

Last response: in Video Games
March 8, 2005 3:14:21 PM

I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
posts.

I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?
I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all seem
dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe they're
dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks you,
GS.

More about : seeking strategy game

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:19:51 PM

"Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
> I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
> posts.
>
> I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm
looking
> for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is
outfitted
> to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I
start?
> I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
> Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
> Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all
seem
> dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe
they're
> dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> Thanks you,
> GS.

real time or turn based?

If you like real time, try getting Started with the grand-daddy of RTS -
Command and Conquer: Red Alert (If you can find it).

If not, give Warcraft III or Starcraft a try.

Dawn of war is very cool, but you would enjoy either of the 'craft games
more as they have better story and longer games.

If you want full 3D (X, Y and Z axis) get Homeworld (not cataclysm, not
homeworld 2).

For turn based, I really like Civ 2 over Civ 3.

East Front, West Front are cool (if you are into WWII), as is The Operation
Art of War (again, might not be easy to find though).

If you head to www.gogamer.com you can get Combat Mission Barbarossa to
Berlin (again, WWII) CHEAP, and it's one of the greatest games I have ever
played. I really, REALLY liked that series. www.battlefront.com is the
website for this series.

good luck.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:59:49 PM

"Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
>I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
>posts.
>
> I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm
> looking for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is
> outfitted to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where
> do I start? I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new
> Lord of the Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to
> start? Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon
> all seem dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but
> maybe they're dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> Thanks you,
> GS.

why not try
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
March 8, 2005 11:59:50 PM

Les Steel wrote:>
> why not try
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic

Thanks, I only looked for ".strategy" I'll give it a shot.

GS.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:10:08 AM

Greg Sumner wrote:

> I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
> posts.
>
> I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
> for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
> to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?
> I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
> Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
> Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all seem
> dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe they're
> dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> Thanks you,
> GS.

Well you could try Warcraft 3, but its hard (i think so anyway)
I really like the red alert series, Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 2 (yuris revenge) are fantastic games.
Or if you want something a bit newer perhaps, Command and conquer Generals.

--
DalienX
Anonymous

I have played and enjoyed many of the games mentioned above. My
favorites:

C&C Generals - lots of sophisticated weaponry. Complex play due to
good balance and wide variety of weapons systems. Lots of mods and
custom maps.

Ground Control - blow things up using tanks and a variety of hover
vehicles. Sci-fi ground combat. Fun action, tedious story line. The
game is worth it, but the story line does drag on. Bought GC2 on sale
at Fry's haven't played it yet. You should be able to try out GC
cheap. It's a few years old.

Homeworld & Homeworld2. I've played both. Liked both. None of my
kids or siblings like them, so I can't play on the home LAN. C'est la
vie!

Warcraft III - lots of fun. The only fantasy style strategy game I
have ever played. Although I have played the Baldur's gate games, and
enjoyed them.

Starcraft - The CLASSIC. The only game I can get siblings and kids to
agree to play reliably. Of course, the only FPS the fam likes to play
is Half Life.

Loved Civ2, Civ3. Cut my teeth on Civ.

Enjoy!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:19:57 AM

Thusly "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> Spake Unto All:

>I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
>for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
>to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?

Rome: Total War.
Best game of 2004 (says I, who still haven't played Half-Life 2).
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:49:26 AM

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:14:21 -0800, "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com>
wrote:

>I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
>posts.
>
>I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
>for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
>to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?
>I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
>Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
>Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all seem
>dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe they're
>dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
>
>Thanks you,
>GS.

My personal favorite is Rome: Total War. You get large cinimatic
battles and you can pause the action at any time to issue new orders.
The game consists of a turn based campaign map where you do your city
building and raise armies and a RTS battlemap where you do your actual
combat. Once a battle has started you need to complete it with the
forces on hand. One of the things that make the Total War games really
stand out is the size of the armies you fight with. I've had battles
with over 3500 soldiers involved. :)  (you control groups rather than
individual soldiers)
You can find a demo at:
http://www.totalwar.com/community/download.htm

If you prefer Sci-fi you might look at Ground Control 2. I liked the
first one but haven't tried the sequel. Like Rome:TW you need to fight
with a limited number of soldiers rather than churning out replacments
during the fight.
You can find a demo here:
http://groundcontrol2.sierra.com/

If you want a more classic type of RTS you might want to look at C&C
Generals. The involves building bases, making soldiers, flying in
resources, ect. Unlike Rome:TW and GC2, you can keep turning out new
soldiers during battle to replace losses.
You can find the demo here:
http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/demos.js...

Homeworld was a fun game in it's time, but I haven't tried Homeworld
2. It played like most RTS games, but was set in space. The units are
ships. Instead of making different types of buildings you do research
to get new unit types. You mine asteroids for the resources to build
ships. The only real difference between Homeworld and any other RTS is
that you need to move in 3 dimensions rather than only 2.
You can find a demo of Homeworld 2 here:
http://www.sierra.com/file_list.do?gamePlatformId=279

You might also want to look at Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
I haven't tried this one, but from looking at the trailers and
screenshots it looks pretty interesting.
You can find more info here:
http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=1835

Remove nospam_ to reply by email

Jeff H........

Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
He fears the truth!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:21:32 PM

Civilization 3. Excellent game, tons of replay value.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:33:27 PM

Mr. Stabby wrote:
> Civilization 3. Excellent game, tons of replay value.

A lot of people recommended this one, so I got it on GoGamer for $10, plus
Riddick for $15. Screamin deals! Thanks all.

GS.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:01:56 PM

> Les Steel wrote:>
>> why not try
>> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
>
> Thanks, I only looked for ".strategy" I'll give it a shot.
>
> GS.

It can be quite busy in there sometimes. I keep making the mistake of
picking strategy if I have reinstalled and need to reset my newsgroups etc
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:49:18 AM

"Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
> I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
> posts.
>
> I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm
looking
> for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is
outfitted
> to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I
start?
> I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
> Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
> Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all
seem
> dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe
they're
> dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
>
> Thanks you,
> GS.

First, recommend that you use the web to read about some of the games you're
thinking about, and try to get the demo to see if it's your cup of tea.

Second, there's several kinds of strategy games out there. Turn base.
Real time (aka RTS). And even hyribs where you can pause the game and
reissue orders. Next you have strategy games that cover every genre that
you can think of. Civil War, WWII, Nam, Sci-Fi, Modern day, ...

Here's a few that I've enjoyed (in no order):

Rise of Nations
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Panzer General II
Steel Panthers ( you should be able find a free copy of this online; try
Wargamer link below)
Freedom Force (super heros battle it out)
Dungeon Keeper
Fallout Tactics
X-Com UFO Defense (very old game)

You can go to Gamespot and sort by genre and see several strategy type
games.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=bygenre&platf...

Here's a link to Wargammer
http://www.wargamer.com/Default.asp
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:36:50 PM

Greg Sumner wrote:

> I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
> posts.
>
> I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one.

If you've never played one, I would recommend starting out
with one of the Civilization games; versions 1 and 2 are both
out there as "abandonware" and still as addictive as ever. I've seen
Civilization categorised as abandonware; for example, on
www.abandonia.com.(*) Only a 2MB download. Yes, the graphics
aren't up to modern-day standards, but in a a strategy game, that's
not necessarily a bad thing especially for begineers; with less eye candy
going on on screen, it's easier to concentrate, I find.

(*) Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

P.
March 10, 2005 3:42:50 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:36:50 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>If you've never played one, I would recommend starting out
>with one of the Civilization games; versions 1 and 2 are both
>out there as "abandonware"

It is warez. Don't try and pretend it is in any way legal.
March 10, 2005 4:17:04 PM

Andrew wrote:
> <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> If you've never played one, I would recommend starting out
>> with one of the Civilization games; versions 1 and 2 are both
>> out there as "abandonware"

> It is warez. Don't try and pretend it is in any way legal.

My personal opinion it that it's as as black and white an issue as you
make out. I'm certainly not encouraging this guy to go out and
download a recent game from Kazaa or even an old one that is still being
sold.
Civilisation is 14 years old, (AFAIK) not on sale anymore and has been
hosted quite openly on several high-profile web sites for several years.
If it was for sale, I would recommend he buy it, but I can't
even find it on eBay.

I would recommend The Home of the Underdog's FAQ on
this, which I think is a reasonable appraisal:

* Is Home of the Underdogs an "abandonware" site?
http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq.php#a5
* But isn't abandonware illegal?
http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq.php#a6
* Aren't you impairing profitability of the games' publishers and retailers
by uploading them?
http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq.php#a7

My personal opinion is that it's better to see games live
on rather than die out, as long as the owners give tacit
approval.

However, judging by the fact that The Underdogs _aren't_ hosting
the Civ games, I'm assuming they were told not to host them,
so I'll stand corrected on Civilization until further notice. However,
a few other strategy games are hosted there, such as Colonization.

P.
March 10, 2005 5:12:55 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:17:04 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
<paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I would recommend The Home of the Underdog's FAQ on
>this, which I think is a reasonable appraisal:

Summed up by:
"But isn't abandonware illegal?

Unfortunately, yes."
April 8, 2005 3:36:33 AM