Seeking strategy game

I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
posts.

I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?
I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all seem
dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe they're
dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks you,
GS.
16 answers Last reply
More about seeking strategy game

    "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
    > I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
    > posts.
    >
    > I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm
    looking
    > for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is
    outfitted
    > to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I
    start?
    > I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
    > Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
    > Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all
    seem
    > dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe
    they're
    > dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks you,
    > GS.

    real time or turn based?

    If you like real time, try getting Started with the grand-daddy of RTS -
    Command and Conquer: Red Alert (If you can find it).

    If not, give Warcraft III or Starcraft a try.

    Dawn of war is very cool, but you would enjoy either of the 'craft games
    more as they have better story and longer games.

    If you want full 3D (X, Y and Z axis) get Homeworld (not cataclysm, not
    homeworld 2).

    For turn based, I really like Civ 2 over Civ 3.

    East Front, West Front are cool (if you are into WWII), as is The Operation
    Art of War (again, might not be easy to find though).

    If you head to www.gogamer.com you can get Combat Mission Barbarossa to
    Berlin (again, WWII) CHEAP, and it's one of the greatest games I have ever
    played. I really, REALLY liked that series. www.battlefront.com is the
    website for this series.

    good luck.

    "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
    >I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
    >posts.
    >
    > I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm
    > looking for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is
    > outfitted to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where
    > do I start? I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new
    > Lord of the Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to
    > start? Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon
    > all seem dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but
    > maybe they're dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks you,
    > GS.

    why not try
    comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic

    Les Steel wrote:>
    > why not try
    > comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic

    Thanks, I only looked for ".strategy" I'll give it a shot.

    GS.

    Greg Sumner wrote:

    > I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
    > posts.
    >
    > I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
    > for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
    > to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?
    > I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
    > Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
    > Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all seem
    > dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe they're
    > dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks you,
    > GS.

    Well you could try Warcraft 3, but its hard (i think so anyway)
    I really like the red alert series, Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 2 (yuris revenge) are fantastic games.
    Or if you want something a bit newer perhaps, Command and conquer Generals.

    --
    DalienX

    I have played and enjoyed many of the games mentioned above. My
    favorites:

    C&C Generals - lots of sophisticated weaponry. Complex play due to
    good balance and wide variety of weapons systems. Lots of mods and
    custom maps.

    Ground Control - blow things up using tanks and a variety of hover
    vehicles. Sci-fi ground combat. Fun action, tedious story line. The
    game is worth it, but the story line does drag on. Bought GC2 on sale
    at Fry's haven't played it yet. You should be able to try out GC
    cheap. It's a few years old.

    Homeworld & Homeworld2. I've played both. Liked both. None of my
    kids or siblings like them, so I can't play on the home LAN. C'est la
    vie!

    Warcraft III - lots of fun. The only fantasy style strategy game I
    have ever played. Although I have played the Baldur's gate games, and
    enjoyed them.

    Starcraft - The CLASSIC. The only game I can get siblings and kids to
    agree to play reliably. Of course, the only FPS the fam likes to play
    is Half Life.

    Loved Civ2, Civ3. Cut my teeth on Civ.

    Enjoy!

    Thusly "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> Spake Unto All:

    >I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
    >for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
    >to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?

    Rome: Total War.
    Best game of 2004 (says I, who still haven't played Half-Life 2).

    On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:14:21 -0800, "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com>
    wrote:

    >I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
    >posts.
    >
    >I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm looking
    >for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is outfitted
    >to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I start?
    >I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
    >Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
    >Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all seem
    >dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe they're
    >dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks you,
    >GS.

    My personal favorite is Rome: Total War. You get large cinimatic
    battles and you can pause the action at any time to issue new orders.
    The game consists of a turn based campaign map where you do your city
    building and raise armies and a RTS battlemap where you do your actual
    combat. Once a battle has started you need to complete it with the
    forces on hand. One of the things that make the Total War games really
    stand out is the size of the armies you fight with. I've had battles
    with over 3500 soldiers involved. :) (you control groups rather than
    individual soldiers)
    You can find a demo at:
    http://www.totalwar.com/community/download.htm

    If you prefer Sci-fi you might look at Ground Control 2. I liked the
    first one but haven't tried the sequel. Like Rome:TW you need to fight
    with a limited number of soldiers rather than churning out replacments
    during the fight.
    You can find a demo here:
    http://groundcontrol2.sierra.com/

    If you want a more classic type of RTS you might want to look at C&C
    Generals. The involves building bases, making soldiers, flying in
    resources, ect. Unlike Rome:TW and GC2, you can keep turning out new
    soldiers during battle to replace losses.
    You can find the demo here:
    http://www.eagames.com/official/cc/generals/us/demos.jsp?state=6

    Homeworld was a fun game in it's time, but I haven't tried Homeworld
    2. It played like most RTS games, but was set in space. The units are
    ships. Instead of making different types of buildings you do research
    to get new unit types. You mine asteroids for the resources to build
    ships. The only real difference between Homeworld and any other RTS is
    that you need to move in 3 dimensions rather than only 2.
    You can find a demo of Homeworld 2 here:
    http://www.sierra.com/file_list.do?gamePlatformId=279

    You might also want to look at Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    I haven't tried this one, but from looking at the trailers and
    screenshots it looks pretty interesting.
    You can find more info here:
    http://www.sierra.com/product.do?gamePlatformId=1835

    Remove nospam_ to reply by email

    Jeff H........

    Lies, All lies. Don't believe a word Difool/sayNO says.
    He fears the truth!

    Civilization 3. Excellent game, tons of replay value.

    Mr. Stabby wrote:
    > Civilization 3. Excellent game, tons of replay value.

    A lot of people recommended this one, so I got it on GoGamer for $10, plus
    Riddick for $15. Screamin deals! Thanks all.

    GS.

    > Les Steel wrote:>
    >> why not try
    >> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic
    >
    > Thanks, I only looked for ".strategy" I'll give it a shot.
    >
    > GS.

    It can be quite busy in there sometimes. I keep making the mistake of
    picking strategy if I have reinstalled and need to reset my newsgroups etc

    "Greg Sumner" <See@Signature.com> wrote in message
    > I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
    > posts.
    >
    > I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one. I'm
    looking
    > for something that's fun and enjoyable, from any year. My rig is
    outfitted
    > to play the latest FPS action games so no worries there. Where do I
    start?
    > I figure why not start with a tried n' true classic. The new Lord of the
    > Rings game looks attractive but maybe not the best place to start?
    > Civilization 1-3 look neat. Roller Coast/Mall/Honey Buckit Tycoon all
    seem
    > dull. I've always heard about Warcraft and Age of Empires but maybe
    they're
    > dated now. Any guidance is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks you,
    > GS.

    First, recommend that you use the web to read about some of the games you're
    thinking about, and try to get the demo to see if it's your cup of tea.

    Second, there's several kinds of strategy games out there. Turn base.
    Real time (aka RTS). And even hyribs where you can pause the game and
    reissue orders. Next you have strategy games that cover every genre that
    you can think of. Civil War, WWII, Nam, Sci-Fi, Modern day, ...

    Here's a few that I've enjoyed (in no order):

    Rise of Nations
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    Panzer General II
    Steel Panthers ( you should be able find a free copy of this online; try
    Wargamer link below)
    Freedom Force (super heros battle it out)
    Dungeon Keeper
    Fallout Tactics
    X-Com UFO Defense (very old game)

    You can go to Gamespot and sort by genre and see several strategy type
    games.
    http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=bygenre&platform=pc&order=asc&time=alltime

    Here's a link to Wargammer
    http://www.wargamer.com/Default.asp

    Greg Sumner wrote:

    > I know this is Action but, the comp.sys.*.strategy group has about 100
    > posts.
    >
    > I have never played a strategy game but would like to try one.

    If you've never played one, I would recommend starting out
    with one of the Civilization games; versions 1 and 2 are both
    out there as "abandonware" and still as addictive as ever. I've seen
    Civilization categorised as abandonware; for example, on
    www.abandonia.com.(*) Only a 2MB download. Yes, the graphics
    aren't up to modern-day standards, but in a a strategy game, that's
    not necessarily a bad thing especially for begineers; with less eye candy
    going on on screen, it's easier to concentrate, I find.

    (*) Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV.

    P.

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:36:50 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
    <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >If you've never played one, I would recommend starting out
    >with one of the Civilization games; versions 1 and 2 are both
    >out there as "abandonware"

    It is warez. Don't try and pretend it is in any way legal.

    Andrew wrote:
    > <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> If you've never played one, I would recommend starting out
    >> with one of the Civilization games; versions 1 and 2 are both
    >> out there as "abandonware"

    > It is warez. Don't try and pretend it is in any way legal.

    My personal opinion it that it's as as black and white an issue as you
    make out. I'm certainly not encouraging this guy to go out and
    download a recent game from Kazaa or even an old one that is still being
    sold.
    Civilisation is 14 years old, (AFAIK) not on sale anymore and has been
    hosted quite openly on several high-profile web sites for several years.
    If it was for sale, I would recommend he buy it, but I can't
    even find it on eBay.

    I would recommend The Home of the Underdog's FAQ on
    this, which I think is a reasonable appraisal:

    * Is Home of the Underdogs an "abandonware" site?
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq.php#a5
    * But isn't abandonware illegal?
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq.php#a6
    * Aren't you impairing profitability of the games' publishers and retailers
    by uploading them?
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/faq.php#a7

    My personal opinion is that it's better to see games live
    on rather than die out, as long as the owners give tacit
    approval.

    However, judging by the fact that The Underdogs _aren't_ hosting
    the Civ games, I'm assuming they were told not to host them,
    so I'll stand corrected on Civilization until further notice. However,
    a few other strategy games are hosted there, such as Colonization.

    P.

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:17:04 -0000, "Paul Moloney"
    <paul_moloney@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I would recommend The Home of the Underdog's FAQ on
    >this, which I think is a reasonable appraisal:

    Summed up by:
    "But isn't abandonware illegal?

    Unfortunately, yes."

    i would prefer massive online strategy games. there are tons in the
    market though. try the one i am currently playing its
    www.spacefederation.net

    Cowly the Game player
    Games I support

    http://www.gamestotal.com