Realistic Graphics HL2 vs. Max Payne 2

jlc

I started Max Payne 2 shortly after it came out. Then a lot of other games
side tracked me and I'm just now finishing the game. What really stuck me
was just how great this game looks even after playing HL2 and Riddick. MP2
not only has some amazing textures and lighting, it also has rag doll
physics that are very cool, and of course "Bullitt Time" But the best part
is the fact the game runs so smooth at 4xAA 4xAF at 1024x768 with all in
game settings cranked to high, even on my old 2GHz P4, 9800pro PC. HL2
looked great as well but had problems on my rig. I had the stutter problem
and my old PC just couldn't run the game that well.
For all you guys that have played HL2 and think it's the best looking game
ever and still have their copy of MP2 laying around, you should load it up
and take a look at it now that you've played HL2. I bet you'll be a little
surprise when you see how great MP2 looks in comparison to HL2. I sure was.
JLC

JLC wrote:

> I bet you'll be a little
> surprise when you see how great MP2 looks in comparison to HL2. I sure
> was. JLC

Max Payne looks great alright, but it's all tiny levels where you can max
the models and textures out. Similar size levels in HL2 look much better
IMO, unless you don't have high-res textures or h/w bump mapping switched
on.

Wasn't Max a tad short?Might look good for 10 hours or so. I never played it
for that reason.
"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I started Max Payne 2 shortly after it came out. Then a lot of other games
> side tracked me and I'm just now finishing the game. What really stuck me
> was just how great this game looks even after playing HL2 and Riddick. MP2
> not only has some amazing textures and lighting, it also has rag doll
> physics that are very cool, and of course "Bullitt Time" But the best part
> is the fact the game runs so smooth at 4xAA 4xAF at 1024x768 with all in
> game settings cranked to high, even on my old 2GHz P4, 9800pro PC. HL2
> looked great as well but had problems on my rig. I had the stutter problem
> and my old PC just couldn't run the game that well.
> For all you guys that have played HL2 and think it's the best looking game
> ever and still have their copy of MP2 laying around, you should load it up
> and take a look at it now that you've played HL2. I bet you'll be a little
> surprise when you see how great MP2 looks in comparison to HL2. I sure
was.
> JLC

jlc

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Wasn't Max a tad short?Might look good for 10 hours or so. I never played
> it
> for that reason.

Yes it's short, but so is HL2. Of course this doesn't have anything to do
with how it looks. I bet you could find MP2 very cheap by now. You might
what to give it a try. It's a very cool game, and much better then the first
one IMHO. JLC

Thusly "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> Spake Unto All:

>Wasn't Max a tad short?Might look good for 10 hours or so. I never played it
>for that reason.

About par for the course. It's about as short as Riddick, and a better
game (although annoying AI cheating in idiotic bossfights almost
ruined it for me). It was the first of the new generation of FPS's
which later spawned HL2, Doom3, and Riddick, and have
nearly-but-not-quite as good gfx as those.

MP2 passed rather unnoticed because people were busy obsessing with
the fantastic graphics of some other newly released game. I think it
was Halo; if so it's ironic because that's a much poorer single-player
game with *much* poorer graphics than MP2.

In article <hl2Yd.122309$Th1.86171@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
dawg < look@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Wasn't Max a tad short?Might look good for 10 hours or so. I never played it
> for that reason.

I for one like games that last 10 hours. I can actually finish. It's
the long long games that can get tedious.

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:

jlc

"Dan Stephenson" <stephedanospam@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <hl2Yd.122309$Th1.86171@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> dawg < look@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> Wasn't Max a tad short?Might look good for 10 hours or so. I never played
>> it
>> for that reason.
>
> I for one like games that last 10 hours. I can actually finish. It's
> the long long games that can get tedious.
>
> --
Especially when long games are made long because you have to re do the same
levels or do a lot of back tracking. I don't mind a short game if it's a
blast to play. Riddick was the best "short" game I've ever played. If the
game would have been longer I think it would have grown stale. JLC