Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Minecraft Server IP Problem

Last response: in Networking
August 17, 2012 11:08:28 AM

I want to run a Minecraft server on one of my computers without a VPN but I want to use something other than my IP. And not no-ip because it can still trace back to my IP.
August 17, 2012 12:01:56 PM

You have 3 options non of which I suspect you will like.

You run the server at your house which of course means they can see your IP since how else would they talk to your server

You run the server in a hosting center. But then technically it is not "your" server it is just one you are renting.

You run a VPN service to hide your IP. In this case you are just renting a IP from a hosting center rather than a server and making it appear as your server in your house is in the hosting center.

Not much else you can do :( 
m
l
August 17, 2012 6:43:32 PM

Is there a way to use a VPN instead of hamachi ?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 17, 2012 7:00:29 PM

There are a number of vpn solution, depends how many users you want to run and how much work you want to do. hamachi seems to be pretty popular but you can run openvpn also. Both require you to pretty much have a dedicated machine. You can get any number of hardware vpn solution that vary from cheap to super expensive

You can also do it the old way with SSH tunnels using stuff like putty and a ssh server.

Still all these solution will expose your public internet address since the users must know it to contect to you
August 19, 2012 11:31:24 PM

Best answer selected by lucarai.
m
l
!