whitesmith

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
My VPN provider is based in a European country with strong privacy laws. Which offers the best protection against data leakage to my American ISP, going with the default setup on my PC (openDNS) or some other choice of provider -- perhaps one in Europe? Thanks to all who opine.

You are going to have to be more clear what you mean by VPN and how that relates to the connection on your american ISP.

If you are running a VPN network in most cases this is totally encrypted and nothing leaks out.

Things like openDNS don't so much prevent data leakage as they restrict traffic for stupid users. It is trivial to bypass these....daaaa use the IP address directly.

You would need a real firewall where you can block the traffic itself. The worst offenders like bit torrent will totally ignore opendns.

whitesmith

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Alright. I connect to the I'net with a European proxy/VPN. Data leakage is my concern, given all the Big Brother-ish snooping that goes on in this country. Do the DNS settings on my PC affect privacy in this restricted sense?

if you use a proxy then all request to DNS also go through the proxy. Pretty much all someone would see if they captured your data would be traffic to the proxy ip address. If it in encrypted which many are nobody can see anything.

DNS is not really used when you run with a proxy. The browser just sends the urls as is to the proxy they make no attempt to resolve anything.