XFree 4.2.0 in, Normal Gnome operation out!

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Yesterday I installed XFree86 4.2.0 using downloaded binaries from the XFree86 site on my Red Hat 7.2. Running the Xinstall.sh, when it asks you to retain config (or something like that) files for your apps, I said NO (I'm thinking how stupid of me). The whole thing went seemingly smooth but upon a reboot, instead of booting into Gnome, it shows the Gnome login screen and then uses 'twm'. I can kill 'twm' (and another program I don't know about: 'smproxy') and use the 'xterm' shell it opens by default to open gnome like this: 'gnome-session'.
The problem is I want to return to the good old way it started (going straight into Gnome). When Gnome starts, the 'xsm' and the 'xterm' shell windows remain open and [I know] if I close them X would shut down and restart and they being open grows on my nerves...I tried 'switchdesk-gnome' but nothing happened...I also copied my old XF86Config-4 file back but also nothing...Before doing this I did a backup (cp -R) of the directories '/etc/X11' and 'usr/X11R6' and as a last resort copied them back, again nothing. I was thinking of doing a partial/complete reinstall from the Red Hat CDs, but something tells me there remain better ways to correct this problem (and learn). Reinstalling will be a last resort [and although I'm a newbie], I want to avoid it.

Any ideas?

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
In your /home/USER/.xinitrc:

Change to a single line:
gnome-session

Good Luck!

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
Did as you said and the problem remains. It doesn't boot straight into Gnome. (But actually if I 'init 3' and then type startx, Gnome comes up)

BTW I also created (it wasn't there - is this a problem?) .Xclients-default in /root and put in 'exec gnome-session' and still, nothing: It goes into twm...

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
This is good because that means it wants to start GNOME.

I would recommend doing a search (Get into GNOME and use the GNOME search tool) for the word "twm" in all (even hidden files) in your home directory and in the XFree-important folders.

Replace "twm" with "gnome-session" and try again...

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
After editing MANY files in several places (and even copying back some configuration files from the previous version I had backed up earlier) the problem is still there. On second thought, I'm thinking of living with it, 'cause after all everything's working fine!?

Edit: Red_Zealot, I must add that with your advice I was on the right track. I corrected several files and actually I thought I had resolved the whole thing...But apparently not!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by r2k on 03/15/02 04:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Maybe check /etc/inittab? I mean, I thought that all of the files were in the home directory, stuff like .xinitrc, etc.

Maybe twm is starting automatically? That's why I'd check /etc/inittab (what distro were you using? Maybe also /etc/rc.d/ or something if on RedHat). If this fails, do a system-wide search looking in all files for the phrase "twm". This could take awhile, but If you smite twm completely, there will be noo chance it can return. Best of Luck.