Best 9v for wireless use?

Last response: in Home Audio
a b F Wireless
August 15, 2004 11:56:28 PM

OK... all the pro location sound guys/gals, please weigh in on this one.

What is the absolute best (longest lasting...least failing) alkaline 9v
cell for wireless use?

The 9v. lithium's put out 1200 ma of juice, which would make them good
for at least twice the output of standard alkalines, but are they worth
the extra (about $6 each) cost?

Thanks.
George

More about : wireless

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 12:50:37 AM

Looks like I'm answering my own question, here...

According to their chart shown on their PDF spec sheet, using my
Lectrosonics VHF which draws 31ma when in full transmit mode I would be
down to 8v. (my normal cutoff to change out a cell) in less than 2
hours with a standard alkaline 9v. cell.

Using the Lithium I could go at least 25 hours before reaching the same
8v. cutoff. That's over 12 times the run time for about 2.5 times the
battery cost. Seems like a nobrainer.

George
Related resources
August 16, 2004 3:17:35 AM

"G.I.O." <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<411FCA95.AFD46F92@mindspring.com>...
> Looks like I'm answering my own question, here...
>
> According to their chart shown on their PDF spec sheet, using my
> Lectrosonics VHF which draws 31ma when in full transmit mode I would be
> down to 8v. (my normal cutoff to change out a cell) in less than 2
> hours with a standard alkaline 9v. cell.
>
> Using the Lithium I could go at least 25 hours before reaching the same
> 8v. cutoff. That's over 12 times the run time for about 2.5 times the
> battery cost. Seems like a nobrainer.
>
> George

There have been some good discussions of this over at
alt.audio.pro.live-sound. One thread was quite recent - abount 2
months ago, I believe. You should check the google archives first to
find the thread.

good luck
Mikey
Nova Music Productions
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 5:34:22 AM

With my wireless headset (that I used as a talkback) I could not get two
nights out of a $1.50 Procell. But I could get two nights out of two $0.50
dollar store batteries, and they still had enough poop left to use for sound
checks and rehearsals, etc.

"G.I.O." <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Looks like I'm answering my own question, here...
>
> According to their chart shown on their PDF spec sheet, using my
> Lectrosonics VHF which draws 31ma when in full transmit mode I would be
> down to 8v. (my normal cutoff to change out a cell) in less than 2
> hours with a standard alkaline 9v. cell.
>
> Using the Lithium I could go at least 25 hours before reaching the same
> 8v. cutoff. That's over 12 times the run time for about 2.5 times the
> battery cost. Seems like a nobrainer.
>
> George

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 11:21:11 AM

In article <411FBDF1.873D8B96@mindspring.com> tfg1@mindspring.com writes:

> The 9v. lithium's put out 1200 ma of juice, which would make them good
> for at least twice the output of standard alkalines, but are they worth
> the extra (about $6 each) cost?

Batteries don't "put out" ma of juice. The specificatoin of interest
is the capacity in mAH (milliamper-hours) which tells you how long it
will put out a certain amount of current - the amount of current that
the microphone draws - before it reaches a voltage below which the
microphone won't operate. So you need to know:

- The nominal current draw of the mic
- The minimum operating voltage for the mic
- The discharge curve - voltage vs. time for a given current - of the
battery.

As to whether it's worth the cost, that depends. Mostly it depends on
how you're using the microphone (how often and for how long at a shot)
and how important it is for the battery not to die at any particular
time. People who have to depend on those things for their living buy
the highest capacity batteries they can find and put in a fresh one
before every use.

If you're worried about $6, I suspect you don't fall into that
category, so you have to do your own risk analysis.

a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 3:44:02 PM

G.I.O. <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote:
>OK... all the pro location sound guys/gals, please weigh in on this one.
>
>What is the absolute best (longest lasting...least failing) alkaline 9v
>cell for wireless use?
>
>The 9v. lithium's put out 1200 ma of juice, which would make them good
>for at least twice the output of standard alkalines, but are they worth
>the extra (about $6 each) cost?

Go with the lithiums. On the Lectro packs, they last a good bit longer
than just twice the operating time, probably because the discharge curve is
flatter.

If you buy them in bulk you can get them for less money, too. But they
are really worth the money because they cost less per minute.
--scott
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 6:13:18 PM

If you read my third post you'd see I did just that, Mike. The Lithium was
the winner no question.

Also, $6 (actually I found them for $5!) is not too much for me to pay so the
slight was not necessary. You never did allude to what specific battery you,
as a pro(?) are using. Care to enlighten us all?

George
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 7:18:23 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:56:28 GMT, G.I.O. <tfg1@mindspring.com> wrote:
> OK... all the pro location sound guys/gals, please weigh in on this one.
>
> What is the absolute best (longest lasting...least failing) alkaline 9v
> cell for wireless use?
>
> The 9v. lithium's put out 1200 ma of juice, which would make them good
> for at least twice the output of standard alkalines, but are they worth
> the extra (about $6 each) cost?

"That Depends"

Batteries have many characteristics that are important:

Voltage -- every cell type has a voltage/cell

mAHr -- I can supply x milliamps for y hours, and it multiplies to this
number.

Deep Cycle? NiCd batteries LOVE to be deep cycled. Lithium
rechargables do NOT.

You might try looking over at Radio Control forums (DAGS)--battery life
is VERY important for the RC guys.

You also have to consider how you'll use them.

Lots of pro-sound guys buy alkeline batteries in bulk and replace them
every night.

Why not buy a few and chart their battery life? I used to use MANY
stomp pedals, and found that Everready Energizers outlasted Duracells
enough that they were 20% cheaper over a year, but the battery biz is
pretty competitive, so that may no longer be true.

Buy a couple of each and see.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 8:03:40 PM

I knew I had this chart around somewhere... OK. Here is a list of common 9v
cells and their output in mAh.

Ultralife U9VL (Lithium) 1200 mAh
Energizer 522 625 mAh
Energizer Industrial EN22 625 mAh
Duracell MN1604 580 mAh
Duracell PC1604 (Procell) 565 mAh

As you can see, and as has been eluded to already, the vaunted Procell made by
Duracell has the lowest current output of the bunch. Only a standard carbon
zinc 9v at 400 mAh is lower than a Procell!

George
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 16, 2004 9:12:49 PM

In article <4120BEA7.26111367@mindspring.com> tfg1@mindspring.com writes:

> If you read my third post you'd see I did just that, Mike. The Lithium was
> the winner no question.

I did, but I saw it after I answered your question. Messages don't all
arrive at the same time for everyone.

> Also, $6 (actually I found them for $5!) is not too much for me to pay so the
> slight was not necessary.

You sounded like this was a concern.

> You never did allude to what specific battery you,
> as a pro(?) are using. Care to enlighten us all?

I buy whatever Home Depot has on sale, but try not to depend on
batteries. I don't use wireless mics so I don't have the same
application you do. I guess that makes me not a pro, so feel free to
ignore my advice (which you apparently were able to figure out on your
own).

a b F Wireless
August 18, 2004 5:19:10 PM

I don't know what kind of tx you do use , but usually the ultralifes run
about 12-13 hours on my um 200 (100mw)
the Energizer about 5.5 hours if I push it until the end , usually if it
documentary which hard to predict I drop the batteries after 4-4.5 hours
the Duracell maybe half hour less - 5 hours
the Varta another half hour less and the worst are the GP which going down
about after 3 -3.5 hours

the only thing to look when you buy allot of ultralifes is that the
batteries are sealed inside plastic bags without the air , the discharging
curve is very fast when they meet oxygen

--
Oleg Kaizerman (gebe) Hollyland

!