Emachine won't boot

mawtg2000

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hello,
i have a friend's emachine that will not boot past e screen with option ESC BIOS F12 BOOT, pushing either key does nothing.

I have removed and discharged battery on mb, i have held each ESC and F12 while booting and it goes to e screen with please wait... and stays there.

I have just now paid for and downloaded recovery disk for this machine - EL1850-01e
and booted and nothing different has happened.

My friend plays a lot of games and I have warned her about being careful and scanning. I am happy for any suggestions.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
first thing to try is reverting BIOS to default settings. since you can't get into bios you can reset it by unplugging the machine and popping out the battery for a minute.

if that doesn't work, next thing to do is strip it down to the bones: seat only the CPU and a single stick of RAM.
if you still can't even get into BIOS after this then you've narrowed the problem down to 1 of 4 things: mobo, PSU, CPU, or RAM. find and swap different PSU/CPU/RAM if you can to verify which is the problem part.
if it does work (you can at least get into BIOS) then start adding components one at a time (starting with additional sticks of RAM then HDD) until you've narrowed down the problem part.