Hard Disk Recording platform options - seeking advice

Last response: in Home Audio
August 16, 2004 3:50:38 AM

Hello,

The following is a quite common question so please bear with me.......

I'm in the process of upgrading my small project studio (currently still
running ADATs) and am trying to decide which direction to go - Mac or PC.
In the past this would have been an easy decision - Mac all the way - but
these days with PCs being more powerfull then ever and able to handle (in my
understanding, anyway) more and more workload as a pro audio platform the
decision is a little tougher. Not to mention that prices on PCs have
dropped WAY down.

Essentially i have around $1000 CAD to spend and for that money am
looking at getting either a used G4 mac or top of the line PC - wondering if
you guys could give me a little advice.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight you might provide.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:50:39 AM

> Essentially i have around $1000 CAD to spend and for that money am
> looking at getting either a used G4 mac or top of the line PC - wondering if
> you guys could give me a little advice.

I do not have experience on Macs. But I've been using PC for 6 years
now, and once I changed from Win98 to Win2000 a couple of years back,
my system has been *very* stable. I use Cubase SX 1.06. I don't don't
remember a single crash for years now. And I use it daily, sometimes
having as many as 30-40 stereo tracks with multiple plugins during
mixdown.

Perhaps you know these basics, but I'd suggest you'd get a separate,
fast hard disk just for audio files. Plus you might want to give a
thought to a backup plan (maybe one more hard disk for quick-access
backups, and DVD-RW -drive for yet one more set of backups.)

I guess pretty recent processors and hard disks nowadays are fast
enough for audio so you don't have to worry about them. I have Pentium
IV myself, and it works great. I would recommed at least 1 GB of
memory, depending on your OS, multi-track program etc. And of course,
a good soundcard is vital too :)

Kalle
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:56:38 AM

1000 CAD is a tight budget if it includes the software as well as the PC.

You might consider a used hard disk recorder instead - just a thought.

Love it or hate it, ProTools is a major industry standard, and it runs better
on a Mac. It uses a combination of hardware and software and costs a whole lot
more than your budget.

You could do pretty darn well with Adobe Audition on a cheap PC with a 1010LT
interface for close to your budget, but still probably over.

-lee-
August 16, 2004 5:27:24 AM

Sorry, to clarify - my $1000 CAD budget is for the platform only, audio
interface hardware and software not included.

"Leoaw3" <leoaw3@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
> 1000 CAD is a tight budget if it includes the software as well as the PC.
>
> You might consider a used hard disk recorder instead - just a thought.
>
> Love it or hate it, ProTools is a major industry standard, and it runs
better
> on a Mac. It uses a combination of hardware and software and costs a
whole lot
> more than your budget.
>
> You could do pretty darn well with Adobe Audition on a cheap PC with a
1010LT
> interface for close to your budget, but still probably over.
>
> -lee-
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 5:39:54 AM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 23:50:38 GMT, "Josh C." <thegradient@telus.net>
wrote:

> I'm in the process of upgrading my small project studio (currently still
>running ADATs) and am trying to decide which direction to go - Mac or PC.
>In the past this would have been an easy decision - Mac all the way - but
>these days with PCs being more powerfull then ever and able to handle (in my
>understanding, anyway) more and more workload as a pro audio platform the
>decision is a little tougher. Not to mention that prices on PCs have
>dropped WAY down.
>
> Essentially i have around $1000 CAD to spend and for that money am
>looking at getting either a used G4 mac or top of the line PC - wondering if
>you guys could give me a little advice.
>
>Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight you might provide.

You trying to start a religious war? :-)

My experience, for what it's worth, is that a suitably-specified PC
works precisely as well as a Mac. That is to say, it will be pretty
reliable, but give problems sometimes.

Anyone who tells you Macs are trouble-free is lying.

August 16, 2004 6:25:50 AM

PC

I've used both and currently see no reason to go and spend about twice the
amount of your hard earned on a MAC because it looks prettier.

Put "Windows XP Professionl" into the PC and keep the software installation
as clean as you can (don't use it for internet, office applications, etc).
Follow all tweaks on www.xptweaks.com to make it run smoother. Unless you
get a good deal your going to be hard pushed to get a decent PC and software
for $1000. Consider selling your ADATS to raise cash. ADATs are over I'm
afraid!

Good luck,

Martin

"Josh C." <thegradient@telus.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> The following is a quite common question so please bear with me.......
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading my small project studio (currently
still
> running ADATs) and am trying to decide which direction to go - Mac or PC.
> In the past this would have been an easy decision - Mac all the way - but
> these days with PCs being more powerfull then ever and able to handle (in
my
> understanding, anyway) more and more workload as a pro audio platform the
> decision is a little tougher. Not to mention that prices on PCs have
> dropped WAY down.
>
> Essentially i have around $1000 CAD to spend and for that money am
> looking at getting either a used G4 mac or top of the line PC - wondering
if
> you guys could give me a little advice.
>
> Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight you might provide.

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 6:25:51 AM

ummm....lmao while i appreciate political discussions as much as the next
guy www.xptweaks.com maybe isn't the best place to get tips for computers.
Maybe this isn't the site you were thinking of?

"Martin Quinn" <mquinn@eircom.net> wrote in message
news:D 2UTc.25076$Z14.7686@news.indigo.ie...
> PC
>
> I've used both and currently see no reason to go and spend about twice the
> amount of your hard earned on a MAC because it looks prettier.
>
> Put "Windows XP Professionl" into the PC and keep the software
installation
> as clean as you can (don't use it for internet, office applications, etc).
> Follow all tweaks on www.xptweaks.com to make it run smoother. Unless you
> get a good deal your going to be hard pushed to get a decent PC and
software
> for $1000. Consider selling your ADATS to raise cash. ADATs are over I'm
> afraid!
>
> Good luck,
>
> Martin
>

> "Josh C." <thegradient@telus.net> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > The following is a quite common question so please bear with
me.......

> > I'm in the process of upgrading my small project studio (currently
> still
> > running ADATs) and am trying to decide which direction to go - Mac or
PC.
> > In the past this would have been an easy decision - Mac all the way -
but
> > these days with PCs being more powerfull then ever and able to handle
(in
> my
> > understanding, anyway) more and more workload as a pro audio platform
the
> > decision is a little tougher. Not to mention that prices on PCs have
> > dropped WAY down.
> >
> > Essentially i have around $1000 CAD to spend and for that money am
> > looking at getting either a used G4 mac or top of the line PC -
wondering
> if
> > you guys could give me a little advice.
> >
> > Cheers and thanks in advance for any insight you might provide.

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:06:33 PM

In article <04UTc.17099$S55.6382@clgrps12> thegradient@telus.net writes:

> Sorry, to clarify - my $1000 CAD budget is for the platform only, audio
> interface hardware and software not included.

You'd better have more of a budget than that in mind. The hardware
platform is probably the least expensive part of a full system.