Slow Boot-Up

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
I have a WD 80gig special edition and the boot up is really slow. It takes about 1-2 minutes to boot into Windows. The best buy guy said that I could possibly set up a raid using one drive to make it faster, but I don't know if this is even possible; I do have a raid motherboard though. Anyway, anyone have a clue on how to improve the boot up speed?

How can my feet smell if it doesn't have a nose?

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
give us a little info about your pc man. how much ram do you have? what speed is the processor? does your mobo support ata 66/100? is udma enabled in bios? are you using an ata 66/100/133 supported (80 wires) ribbon cable? are there any jumpers on the back of the hard drive? if not your bios can take a while to initialize the hard drive. is your bios configured correctly? many times devices can hang the system if the bios is not configured.

<b><font color=orange>sing to prolong HDD life; spin right round like a record baby Right round round round

l3um

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
AXP 1800+
512 mb ram
WD 80gig 8mb cache
gigabyte 7vrxp
windows xp
Gainward G4 TI4200 64mb
the normal ide ribbons

It could be my BIOS because I'm not sure if it is set correctly. Does anyone else here have the same board and if you do can you give me an idea of what you set your BIOS to?

How can my feet smell if it doesn't have a nose?